Sign in to follow this  
eno

Server logs cut down significantly

Any other server owners notice that your logs have been cut to single 24 hour periods? Originally when we started the server back in around .57 / .56 the server logs went all the way back to the day we started... which may have been a bit much.

But now a 24 hour period (between resets) doesn't often give you an opportunity to browse the log- depending on what time you have your reset occur. 

I approached game servers about this and they said it was a DayZ issue / decision- so... Any server owners from other providers see the same thing? 

Perhaps you should flag it through the Bug Tracker.

I have no further advice but it would seem most frustrating.

Try it.

Try it.

Done.

thanks bones. 

Edited by ENO75

We've noticed our logs hold about 2 days of info before being ejected into the nether.

They should be at least held a week I reckon.

Yeah... ours are gonzo after each reset- however long that is. Generally 24 hours or maybe more if we reset throughout. 

I just learned about a behavior we can detect in the logs and not being able to go back severely impacts our ability as mods to do anything about it. Not cool since now I feel like we're paying for the place and we're powerless to do anything about people who do nothing but squat and shit all over it. 

Anyone hear whether or not this will be addressed at all? 

Very strange... just went in to look at the logs now and they're fixed. Well, at least they appear to be. I have logs through several resets in the past 22 hours so who knows... maybe someone was listening afterall!

Whoops- disregard. Back to zero.

Strange we initially had this issue after the update to .59. E-mailed fragnet about it and they implemented a script that stores all our logs

• Like 1

I got told by gameservers that it was a BI issue and to approach them about it- so that's where I left it. Maybe worth a try. 

14 minutes ago, eno said:

I got told by gameservers that it was a BI issue and to approach them about it- so that's where I left it. Maybe worth a try. 

Do you by any chance have copies of your correspondence with Gameservers? If so, you can send it through to support@dayz.com, and I can look through it, sync up with our server hosting policy owner dealing with the GSPs and see what's what.

7 hours ago, SMoss said:

Do you by any chance have copies of your correspondence with Gameservers? If so, you can send it through to support@dayz.com, and I can look through it, sync up with our server hosting policy owner dealing with the GSPs and see what's what.

Rgr... Sending it over now. 

3 hours ago, eno said:

Rgr... Sending it over now. 

Got it. Thank you kindly.

I read through the correspondence and asked around in regards to policy on server logs. As it is, there is no policy from our side in regards to how big a time frame each log should cover, so we can't force the GSP's hands there. If development of DayZ has indeed all of a sudden rendered your GSP unable to have logs cover more than 24 hours at a time, then I'll have to admit that I wouldn't know exactly which specifics would prevent the GSP from having logs that cover more than 24 hours.

• Like 3

But judging by what you said there, them saying that your dev team locked it up isn't accurate. 

Edited by eno
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, eno said:

But judging by what you said there, them saying that your dev team locked it up isn't accurate. 

No, not deliberately as far as I know.

• Like 1

Okay I think we got to the root of the matter. Apparently the logs were there but they don't all run in one file... they're all separated into individual files and these are actually available through some drop down menu I admit with some embarrassment I hadn't seen. So they are there... just in a different format from what they were when we opened our server with Gameservers. They provided a full explanation and once given proper guidance I was able to see how the logs are in fact visible. 

It took awhile to get there but I thank smoss as well as some members of gameservers staff for their assistance in the matter. 

That still doesnt resolve the fact that they are in separate files for each server reset. It is extremely frustrating when you are trying to deal with issues that happened on separate days, or even across resets. Unless you can access a single log, or even a weekly log it is still a pain :(

I am using Fragnet like Square, and they have the same issue with the logs being separated by reset. The logs are all there, but there are so many of them it makes it extremely tedious to track down problematic players.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, gunrunner said:

That still doesnt resolve the fact that they are in separate files for each server reset. It is extremely frustrating when you are trying to deal with issues that happened on separate days, or even across resets. Unless you can access a single log, or even a weekly log it is still a pain :(

I am using Fragnet like Square, and they have the same issue with the logs being separated by reset. The logs are all there, but there are so many of them it makes it extremely tedious to track down problematic players.

I agree completely... Not sure why it changed but I guess that bounces back to the BI folks.