Sign in to follow this  
XibaRootS

Geometric Occluder Technology in DayZ

I dont think i have been so excited about day z like i am atm for 3 years now. FINALLY WE WILL SEE REAL FPS improvements.

• Like 1

Yes, it's exciting, however it will be a little while before we see this technology.  :beans:

I can forsee someone experiencing rainbow-triangle disco party on their screen and come screaming with hell-wrath to this forum because of early implementation.

Exciting though... should bump up the resources for other things, no?

first time i hear geometric occlusion, the only principle i could grasp was culling, any videos, wiki articles on this?

google let me down this time...

say what? -what will this do for the game.

Is it some new term base building?

as far as it sounds, it seems to be a rendering technology to make rendering many 3d objects really fast, which would help with city performance in DayZ

but your guess i as good as mine, no clue, can't find anything on it

There's some info on this in the following wiki post: http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/Geometric_Occluders

thank you dear sir, have my beans

this looks very promising in a performance-optimization-kind of way, way to go devs!  :D
Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

Not compltely sure (as usual) but i thought 'occlusion' was a portmanteau of 'ocular' (eye, or of relating to seeing/vision), and 'exclusion' (being removed from, prevent from being with).

That what is not seen is excluded, not drawn or not involved in some 'process' which would demand resources.

Examples of this are building interiors.  Almost all buildings are enterable throughout DayZ, and these resources are all being 'drawn' despite not necessarily being 'seen' by the player.  This means they're all there, ready for you as you walkin or peer in, but are using resources.  Fog of War or limiting draw-distance is one way of limiting what is being 'drawn' i believe.

or just checkout SMoss's post or consult google.  More opinion than fact in this post < :P  It's got something to do with culling things that don't need to be drawn 'just yet', kind of like a buffer or something though...

gah, jargon.  I'm sure some tech-savvy young coder or whatsistitle will explain.

Edited by q.S Sachiel
  • Like 1

Not compltely sure (as usual) but i thought 'occlusion' was a portmanteau of 'ocular' (eye, or of relating to seeing/vision), and 'exclusion' (being removed from, prevent from being with).

That what is not seen is excluded, not drawn or not involved in some 'process' which would demand resources.

Examples of this are building interiors.  Almost all buildings are enterable throughout DayZ, and these resources are all being 'drawn' despite not necessarily being 'seen' by the player.  This means they're all there, ready for you as you walkin or peer in, but are using resources.  Fog of War or limiting draw-distance is one way of limiting what is being 'drawn' i believe.

or just checkout SMoss's post or consult google.  More opinion than fact in this post < :P  It's got something to do with culling things that don't need to be drawn 'just yet', kind of like a buffer or something though...

gah, jargon.  I'm sure some tech-savvy young coder or whatsistitle will explain.

You already explained it. It's been used in other engines, like Unreal Engine and Cryengine, Tech4 or Unity for ages and is about time it's implemented in EnFusion. It's particularly useful when you enter a large building or go to a city area with lots of geometry to draw, most of which you don't see and doesn't need to be rendered. It's an algorythm that determines the vector of the camera and gives feedback on which objects are visible to the player. Streaming objects works hand in hand with occlusion, the purpose of both is to save memory, but occlusion/culling is a much finer distinction and takes place on a more detailed level. However, there is a catch - as is described in Bohemia's Tech Paper (link from SMoss), since occluder components can be expensive to calculate as well (since there is a constant feedback loop between what you see and what is rendered). So you don't want occluders to be too small + many or it'll otherwise end up using more resources to calculate occlusion than rendering the actual objects would cost (performance wise). 

With a game like Dayz and thousands of occluded objects in dense areas this makes a lot of sense as a technology. I expect the technology will be very useful for cities, but small villages or standalone houses will not really be affected and need no occlusion meshes to encompass them. So if you have bad frames in empty areas now, you probably won't see a change there. In dense areas however, there should be a massive increase to framerate, which means more dynamic objects (vehicles, infected/animals, openable doors/windows) can be rendered without overtaxing the engine. This is going to take a while to balance, but the final result can only be an improvement. 

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

snip

i am really excited about this coming, the main reason i feel dayz being unplayable right now is the abismal performance i get in cities, while in the woods i get a solid 40-50 fps

maybe it will soon be time for me to finally log in to DayZ again and explore the vast spaces of Chernarus, fix a car and pick up some people from the coast to make friends or get mugged :D

I randomly died while running over some rocks. With AKM, AKS-U, 1911 silenced and my fully black clothed character. I guess you could say, I've had that character for long enough, but it sucks loosing them this way. 

I randomly died while running over some rocks. With AKM, AKS-U, 1911 silenced and my fully black clothed character. I guess you could say, I've had that character for long enough, but it sucks loosing them this way. 

Want a 1911 silenced with a mag? I have one that has been sitting in my barrel for weeks. :3

Want a 1911 silenced with a mag? I have one that has been sitting in my barrel for weeks. :3

The 3p I play is a private hive, but thanks for the offer. I don't build camps for nothing, so the most it took was running to the camp to get equipped. I was just trying to get an all black character "assembled". I was only (still!) looking for a black drybag. I posted in the wrong threat anyway. But those rocks are north-east of Kamenka, try not to run between the big boulders there - unless you wann die that is.   

The 3p I play is a private hive, but thanks for the offer. I don't build camps for nothing, so the most it took was running to the camp to get equipped. I was just trying to get an all black character "assembled". I was only (still!) looking for a black drybag. I posted in the wrong threat anyway. But those rocks are north-east of Kamenka, try not to run between the big boulders there - unless you wann die that is.   

Oh ok. lol