J.Dre

"Login Protection Period" of 10 seconds or until you move.

20 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like this feature?

• Yes.
    • No. I'll explain why below.
    • Don't care. Why not?

Yeah Zod - and getting kicked 5 times in a row - every time I go on to check if the 1-player admin is really still around or if he's asleep at the keyboard (he's one of THOSE) so I can use his own grenades on all his 9 tents - after loading all that ammo and the stuff I want to keep in his 4 trucks and driving them into the debug plains.. {sigh} the waiting can be long..

[you know who I mean]

Seriously, while the screen is still black, you're not in play, right?  Then as you 'fade in' - first you see the hot bar, then your controls just start working as the scene comes up to full brightness, and for a second or so you're vulnerable and cant move too good.. Isn't that the danger moment we are talking about?

I don't think your avatar gets put in place first, and then kind-of-afterwards the connection is made to your controls and screen. I've never been shot or mauled by a zombie WHILE the screen was still black, but I have been attacked as soon as the scene first starts fading in.

??

But, you cant have a "button" to start play or else you'd be able to log in (invisible) and see who was there, load ammo, aim at the guy's head, press "start play" and blow him away.

If you watch a friend load in, you'll see that your body spawns in 15-30 seconds before you can see, let alone can take control. 

Again, you've gotten the wrong idea. The idea as I understand it is that all you see is a black screen as you load in. While this is happening, the world is loading behind the scenes. When the world has fully loaded to the point where you'd be in full control with the current system, you'd get a button to start playing or something. Once clicked, your body spawns in, the black screen disappears, you can see your surroundings and you are in control. All in an instant. I understand how this may be OP, and I agree to some degree. We'd still need a loud noise to trigger on spawn like it does with the current system.

Yes, I do think this might be OP for people trying to ghost. People who have just server hopped should have to wait for the 30 seconds with your body in-game like the current system as a hopper penalty. Maybe even this instant spawning should be reserved for people who were just kicked or lost connection due to game crashes, server restarts, that sort of thing. This would help in the case were you crashed in the open or in a dangerous area, etc.

If you watch a friend load in, you'll see that your body spawns in 15-30 seconds before you can see, let alone can take control. 

Again, you've gotten the wrong idea. The idea as I understand it is that all you see is a black screen as you load in. While this is happening, the world is loading behind the scenes. When the world has fully loaded to the point where you'd be in full control with the current system, you'd get a button to start playing or something. Once clicked, your body spawns in, the black screen disappears, you can see your surroundings and you are in control. All in an instant. I understand how this may be OP, and I agree to some degree. We'd still need a loud noise to trigger on spawn like it does with the current system.

Yes, I do think this might be OP for people trying to ghost. People who have just server hopped should have to wait for the 30 seconds with your body in-game like the current system as a hopper penalty. Maybe even this instant spawning should be reserved for people who were just kicked or lost connection due to game crashes, server restarts, that sort of thing. This would help in the case were you crashed in the open or in a dangerous area, etc.

OK - I believe you LucidHills, I have never made that test on teamspeak with a friend watching.. it has only happened in the past when I've been attacked by zombies on logging back in because the server stopped and logged me out  in the middle of a main street. Or it has happened I log in and get shot real quick, but I never had the "you are Dead" message while the screen was still completely black, before I started to get back into the game to the point where I could just begin to see and move, etc.. .

So I take your word for it, that's how it works. You body appear 15-20 seconds before you see anything on your screen and before you can take control.

But - this is only IMO - I still think the best solution is to find somewhere safe to log out (because your next log in will put you exactly back at that same place) - You are in much more danger in the whole 1 minute of logout, than in the 15-second login.. UNLESS you TAKE real good CARE where you log out.

Also for ghosting there is a big problem.

Firstly - To suggest that if you change servers your body has to log in to the game and stand there visible for 30 seconds before you yourself can join it.. hmmm I don't think many players will go for this.

For instance - It is exactly what the OP is complaining about, he wants to eliminate the "danger zone" but you are suggesting to make it about twice long..

The J.Dre OP suggestion is to cut out the waiting time "until you move" so you can't be attacked (that means you can't be seen right?)- Any situation where you CAN log in and then suddenlyappear all set to move - however fair you try to make it  - it IS going to be used for ghosting.  And it will work really well.

If a guy knows enemies are in a location, he will go through another server and choose a good position. Then the people in that place will SUDDENLY see him appear ready to roll.

He already knows they are there - but all they see is him instantly pop of thin air and start shooting (lit will look like a teleport). That has GOT to be to the ghoster's advantage, however you arrange the login.

Either the people already in the house see him logging in and they can shoot first, OR he arrives instantly anywhere he chooses,goes straight into full action, and takes them 100% by surprise.

It has to be one or the other. Either he fades in and other people CAN see him before he's ready, or they CANT see him and he's ready as soon as he appears.The way login is now =  a lot less ghosting.

Really - the Best Solution is just go find a great place to hide before you log out.

If you suddenly get kicked when you're at at a helicrash on the main runway of NWA, or you loose your connection in the middle of the best loot tent in tent city.... too bad..

It's just too bad,  EVERYBODY has been dropped from a game = local power cut, or lost connection, or the server goes down when you are in a bad place.. just occasionally it has happened to everyone.

That's why everyone tries their BEST to choose a good place to log out. It helps you stay alive. That's what the game's about.

xx

Edited by pilgrim
  • Like 1

-snip-

Also for ghosting there is a big problem.

Firstly - To suggest that if you change servers your body has to log in to the game and stand there visible for 30 seconds before you yourself can join it.. hmmm I don't think many players will go for this.

For instance - It is exactly what the OP is complaining about, he wants to eliminate the "danger zone" but you are suggesting to make it about twice long..

-snip-

The current system already makes you wait longer when hopping servers. That's what that "Spawning in X seconds..." means. 

And yes, I want it to be instant if you aren't server hopping.

If you are hopping though (determined by something like if you are trying to join a server after having left another server less than 10 minutes ago) you should have to wait while you're body is vulnerable. So  if you are trying to ghost, others will see you spawning in. However, If you are just joining the game for the first time that session or you lost connection somehow in a vulnerable place you won't get penalised.

I personally don't really mind how the system works as it does at the moment, but I do think that a system something like this would be better.

This is a tricky thing , I've alwYs wanted a spAwn protection simply because dayz unfairly puts you in a vulnerable position for 10-60 seconds after seeing the please wait for the first time ... Like lucid says you can see your buddy when he's at the please wait sign, and actually my friend just yesterday killed a guy logging into the woods behind the police station (he was deep in the woods where noone should be camping , he logged off in a "safe place"'did it work out for him?).

People jump to arms when they see this topic , IMO lucids idea is the best : make it so the entire world loads in , but your character doesn't yntil you can properly move without 1 fps (like it normally does when you finally gain Vision) you won't be able to see the world around you until your character is there , there will be NO INVULNERABILITY , just the simple logic of your character spawning in AFTER THE WORLD HAS LOADED AND NOT BEFORE . It's a simple fix really and doesn't even ask for invulnerability , it just simply asks for a proper loading system instead of plopping our character down first and then loading all the proper things to get us moving and seeing .

TL;DR: we don't beed invincibility for logging in , we need our world to load in first and THEN our bodies , not the other way around like it is now .

• Like 1