Sign in to follow this  
maximumak777 (DayZ)

Need help choosing a loadout/weapons.

Hi,

I have switched from being a sniper in .59 because of how much of a pain in the ass it is to find winchester rounds. I also find sniping pointless unless I'm with a team, so I've decided to start using assault/soldier loadouts. I could use some help finding good weapons to use in firefights.

My current loadout:

Primary: AKM with polymer/plastic primary attachments

Secondary: AKS74U+Red 9

Grenades + Flashbangs

TTsKo pants/jacket, Complete plate carrier, ballistic helmet

Melee: Machete

I've never really used an 'assault' loadout like this because I've always been a sniper. Sorry if this is a terrible choice of weapons, I made this thread so I could get help.

Is this a good choice of weapons? Anything I should add/remove/improve? I'm not sure if I should drop my AKM and pick up an AK74, and then switch my AKS with an MP5. I am also considering replacing my Red 9 with a CR, or a Glock if Glock 19s spawn in stable.

What loadout do you use?

Also, I need help finding guns like UMPs, AUGs and M4s. I'd much rather have an M4 or an AUG instead of an AK class rifle, and I'd rather have a UMP instead of an AKS. I've looked in Quonset/Officer huts for UMPs but they don't seem to be spawning. I've found lots of UMP mags but not UMPs.

I know that M4s and AUGS spawn exclusively at heli crashes but I can't find any helicopter crash sites, so if you have any tips for finding heli crashes then please share them.

Thanks for any replies!

There are many things I can answer right now and probably help you out, but I'll leave the most important things to the other ones on the forums as I don't feel like doing long explanations right now.

I see no reason to have a secondary. UMP / MP5 or AKS, you don't need it. An AKM is the go-to weapon at most cases, It's good at CQB and precise at long range if you don't spray much. Why need a secondary at this case? Having a pistol might be okay, which should be an FNX at all cases because .45 is better over 9mm.

Edited by Yazar8

I'm rolling with an AKM with a seventy five round drum mag , a red nine because it's iron sights and sound effects are badass , and plenty of flashbangs and grenades ... To really maximize on the effectiveness of the AKM you really should try taking single shots at around 100-300 meters at first to get the hang of single firing it , this will help you be less "spray and pray" and more patient with shots just like you were still a sniper , but this way you're more effective at long range and because it's an ak you will always have an advantage at close quarters combat ..

The other day me and my squad were around the police station of svetlojarsk , we had just met up with some crazy dude who we assumed was a very smooth talker , he talked us into letting him live (he acted strange at first , we all raised weapons , he smoothed talked out of it lol). So we decided he'd be the perfect negotiator to talk these two guys out of the police station that we knew were somewhat on edge (they shot at our negotiator at first sight).

So after a brief conversation he had with them , they murdererd him in cold blood .. He told us this on teamspeak and me and my cousins knew what we had to do : I had my first Cuz sit outside in front of the door , the second had the side door covered , me and the last squad Cuz ran up to the second floor , where the two cowards we're hiding.. After signaling my team I threw a flashbang into the door , it somehow rolled perfectly inside the other door as I retreated back to the main staircase and heard the inevitable horrid ringing , I entered the room again and stuck to the side wall as my cousin sat in the doorway , we unloaded our aks as the two ran out afraid for their lives and blind as a bat .

Long story short , whatever weapon you choose , make sure to use it properly ! But I have to say AKM , red nine and grenades are the best load out for me right now, but that will change when I find an FN FAL im sure haha .

• Like 1

I agree that you don't really need 3 weapons, takes up too much space and also the ammo / mags.

I do always have a side arm, in case my main rifle gets damaged or bugged, run out of ammo for it or whatever. I also prefer the FNX (hard to find and also mags and .45 ammo) but am also happy with the .357. It packs a punch and the ammo can be found outside mil bases. Coupled with 2-3 speed loaders you should be fine because hey, let's be honest: if you are in a firefight where you empty all mags for the AKM and speed loaders for the magnum and not finding any time to reload them you are most likely gonna be dead anyway.

In the past I used to carry way too many mags and spare ammo. Now I am back to using the SKS (because you don't waste as many bullets), with 2 clips and about 40-60 spare ammo. But, I don't look for fights and will avoid them if I can. If for some reason I do run out of ammo without dying I will look for some more.

• Like 2

Yeah i see the bonus to a sidearm but in reality i have almost never been in a position where a pistol was more valuable than the 120rds of extra M4 ammo that would fit in the same space (unless chest holstered).

Rather than giving up sniping, why not give the CR527 a try? I found one with 2 empty mags discarded in a barracks where somebody had found an sks. Yes, it doesn't have the stopping power that the Winchester has, and it has the weird bolt animation. However, because of these drawbacks, it is a great tool for improving your long range marksmanship. Why? Because you have to go for headshots, and the inability to clearly see where your shots land will teach you to use the in-game map for quick range finding.

I have had 3 confirmed headshot kills on underground since I picked it up. Also, the ability to apply a camouflage paint scheme makes it feel that much more badass.

Paired with a boarskin pack and silenced 1911, I feel prepared to be underpowered yet prepared for engagements at any range.

Like a couple of others have said, I'm not sure you need two assault rifles.  When do you ever see yourself choosing the AKS74U over the AKM? 

If you absolutely feel you must have two assault weapons I'd consider the MP5 as a secondary but only then because of it's crazy rate of fire.

Just thought I'd follow up with another snipe/assault combo that's a bit left-field; Sporter .22 (hunting scope, 30rnd mags) and AKS.   

Thanks to it's low sound and recoil, you can unload the entire 30 rounds from the sporter scoped whilst staying on target and your enemy stands much less chance of locating you compared to an AKM.  

This video is a great example of how you can "plink" away with the .22: 

Edited by wacktopia
  • Like 3

I am super convinced the M4 doesn't spawn. :/

Personal preference is AKM (assault or support) + Swagnum.

I'd take an AK101 purely for less recoil then an AK74. I would avoid the Steyr Aug completely as the scope cannot be zeroed. M4 is end game stuff, best automatic in game.

If you're already carrying an AK variant as a main then I see no point in carrying an MP5, UMP or AK74su as a backup.

But yeah, with the AKM practise makes perfect. It kicks like a bitch but once you know how to handle it properly it's (in my opinion and because of 75rnd Drum) one of the best guns in game.

Edited by Tactical Nuke