VVarhead

Dark nights? Where'd they go? Also: Thunder?

With the gamma abuse, get people to set it when they first start up the game each time, maybe just after the "I Agree" prompt and then give them the one chance to setup their gamma then. The gamma is then set for that session or maybe even a set period of hours before it will give the option again, eg, 24 hours later, you can adjust it again. Problem solved :) Although that doesn't solve the issue of people abusing monitor settings or other such stuff.. 

The problem with gamma abuse is that it works on the hardware end, too. I imagine that it's possible to design a game to not respond quite so well to hardware gamma/brightness adjustments, but it sounds difficult.

The behaviour of the cones and rods in the eye in regards to low light vision and colour perception is just fact.  They teach it in basic training in Canada. I bet they do in other armies as well. You get allot of opportunity to observe it in real life if you spend some time in the infantry.

I was playing in the dark and rain in Dayz last week. I could not make out anything but the rough outline of the tree line against the night clouds.  Even in partial cloud conditions I could barely see trees beyond 30 paces in the thick forest. I paced it out. I could only have shot at most 75 or so yards and that would have been a long way.

Is that perfectly realistic, no but its more realistic then many here seem to think.

The clouds do seem a little luminous, which is not impossible but not typical in the actual out doors. Shadows in general are far more concealing even in day light then they are in DayZ. Fixing that issue would likely finish the lighting system.

But as to how nice and dark the old way was. It was stupid, the only place in the world I have seen such darkness in nature above ground was in triple canopy patrolling in Panama. You could not see buddy 2 feet in front of you.  And that is from someone who has patrolled in the pacific rain forests a great deal. Panama was dark. So dark your eyes could not adjust. Everywhere else I have been, your eyes adjust a great deal. 

• Like 2

The behaviour of the cones and rods in the eye in regards to low light vision and colour perception is just fact. They teach it in basic training in Canada. I bet they do in other armies as well. You get allot of opportunity to observe it in real life if you spend some time in the infantry.

I was playing in the dark and rain in Dayz last week. I could not make out anything but the rough outline of the tree line against the night clouds. Even in partial cloud conditions I could barely see trees beyond 30 paces in the thick forest. I paced it out. I could only have shot at most 75 or so yards and that would have been a long way.

Is that perfectly realistic, no but its more realistic then many here seem to think.

The clouds do seem a little luminous, which is not impossible but not typical in the actual out doors. Shadows in general are far more concealing even in day light then they are in DayZ. Fixing that issue would likely finish the lighting system.

But as to how nice and dark the old way was. It was stupid, the only place in the world I have seen such darkness in nature above ground was in triple canopy patrolling in Panama. You could not see buddy 2 feet in front of you. And that is from someone who has patrolled in the pacific rain forests a great deal. Panama was dark. So dark your eyes could not adjust. Everywhere else I have been, your eyes adjust a great deal.

Exactly. If you spend time in true darkness, your eyes adjust over time. Repeat this every night for years and it will boost your natural night sight. Not boost so much as train, but smart people will get the idea.

And just for the slow minded when he says triple canopy, he doesn't mean the layers of the rainforest.

The problem with gamma abuse is that it works on the hardware end, too. I imagine that it's possible to design a game to not respond quite so well to hardware gamma/brightness adjustments, but it sounds difficult.

The behaviour of the cones and rods in the eye in regards to low light vision and colour perception is just fact.  They teach it in basic training in Canada. I bet they do in other armies as well. You get allot of opportunity to observe it in real life if you spend some time in the infantry.

I was playing in the dark and rain in Dayz last week. I could not make out anything but the rough outline of the tree line against the night clouds.  Even in partial cloud conditions I could barely see trees beyond 30 paces in the thick forest. I paced it out. I could only have shot at most 75 or so yards and that would have been a long way.

But as to how nice and dark the old way was. It was stupid, the only place in the world I have seen such darkness in nature above ground was in triple canopy patrolling in Panama. You could not see buddy 2 feet in front of you.  And that is from someone who has patrolled in the pacific rain forests a great deal. Panama was dark. So dark your eyes could not adjust. Everywhere else I have been, your eyes adjust a great deal. 

I didn't serve in the Great Pan-American Canadian Panamanian War (PanAmCanPanam as I like to call it), but I remember Boy Scout camp in upstate New York being dark as fuck if I happened to forget my flashlight on a moonless night.

Let's forget "realism" for a minute.

IMHO the spirit of DayZ is that you should need to find light source to see beyond a few yards at night.  Part of the fun of the mod was watching bambis running along with their flashlights and road flares attracting bandits and zombies.  Or strategically illuminating a own with road flares so you can loot it without having people being 100% sure where you were.

Then make a boy scout simulator.

Nothing your describing is linked to the darkness behaviour you desire. Normal darkness and the fluctuations of darkness going in and out of trees and buildings and the clouds blocking the moon will accomplish all of it.