Sign in to follow this  
gurei

ABO blood groups and subsequent game play changes

hi there

I was ruminating on the blood system while taking samples up the the heamatology lab. here's my thoughts on some changes.

First thing - include ABO/Rhesus blood grouping. Probably the best way would be to randomly generate each character's blood group. It would probably a good idea to make everyone Rhesus negative though, that would leave the possible groups : AB, A, B, O.

Now add a direct giving set that allows transfusion at 200blood/second between players. However if the blood given is incompatible with the reciever it should have a negative effect.

------Subsequent game-play changes------

1. In real life we continuously produce blood in a balance with our losses. So long as those losses dont get to much too quick (like a bleed), we maintain a good level.

Now in real life eating 6 stakes dosn't cure shock lol... in fact it might be inadvisable... lol

Make receiving blood (by direct player-to-player giving or an Onegative blood bag) the ONLY way to directly increase blood volume. Eating different foods should primarily change the *rate* at which your blood increases.

2. Program effects of most stuts effects on your blood production rate (hunger, thurst, temperature, broken lims etc...). Also make your blood production rate faster when resting indoors/at a fire.

3. Make bloodpacks rarer. This will be counterbalanced by the direct giving set. Make much more common "plasma expanders" that can be used solo and dont increase your blood but make the symptoms go away for an hour or so.

4. Add an erythropoietin (EPO) auto injector. This should DRAMATICALLY increase your blood production rate and can be used by a solo player. I'd be imagining the ability to produce the full 12000point player blood volume in 30mins using an EPO and laying down indoors/at a fire.

Thought it would get too complicated when I heard "hematology lab" and I was right....

Blood nerd lol.

I actually do like the transfusion idea but I think it should be just straight subtraction-addition. If you want to give someone 1,000 you lose 1,000 and you need the transfusion kit.

I think types would just be overkill. Might be more realistic but then you'd probably never get to do the transfusions.

oh in case anyone wonders :

AB - universal receiver. AB can receive AB, A, B and O groups without problems.

A - Can receive A and O groups. AB and B groups will result in transfusion reaction.

B - Can receive B and O groups. AB and A groups will result in transfusion reaction.

O - Universal doner. Can receive O group only. O blood can be given to AB, B, A and O groups.

Interesting thoughts.

A question for you - could you inject a cold bloodpack into your own body and what would be the effects, ie not a transfusion, putting blood from a bag directly into your own bloodstream.