Sign in to follow this  
IgnobleBasterd

Smear yourself with blood

-snip-

To be entirely honest, wearing bits of leather and scrap metal would feasibly work as armor. Not against bullets, of course, but some scraps of metal worked into a crude breastplate + pauldrons would stop a knife from cutting you open, or an arrow from making you choke to death on your own blood. Hell, you could take some blankets and sew them together and make a sort of "gambeson, to make yourself 100% arrowproof. It might look stupid, but the actual reasoning behind it is sound.

However, I agree with you 100% on the cannibalism thing. The type of environment Day Z takes place in (temperate deciduous forest) is so full of available food, the only reason players can starve to death is because the devs haven't put in foraging mechanics for 99% of the food sources. There are enough cattail plants to support an army, much less Goldenrod, Phragmite, various weeds, berries, acorns, etc.

In almost 99.9999% of "forced cannibalism" (that is, cannibalism for actual survival, vs cannibalism due to religious ritual or mental illness) cases, the people were forced into cannibalism because there wasn't any other food. Literally none. That plane crash on top of the mountains in South America? No food. The Donner party? No food, and they ate everything else they could, including animal-hide blankets, before eating people. Day Z? Plenty of food.

He doesn't have a point. This being a game, the amount of possible player actions will always be extremely limited compared to RL. "Because you could possibly do it in RL" is not a good enough reason to spend time implementing something. Terrible idea.

He still has a point because DayZ aims for realism and authenticity over arcadish and insta-action game mechanics, so dont deny it tbh.

I still think its a terrible idea, but you cant deny that point, especially when its used in EVERY single suggestion on these forums mate.

People always talk about what you can and cant do IRL here, with every single suggestion but like i said i agree its not worth development time.

Just dont say that the whole realism argument isnt valid, because its expesiially valid with dayz.

• Like 1

He still has a point because DayZ aims for realism and authenticity over arcadish and insta-action game mechanics, so dont deny it tbh.

I still think its a terrible idea, but you cant deny that point, especially when its used in EVERY single suggestion on these forums mate.

People always talk about what you can and cant do IRL here, with every single suggestion but like i said i agree its not worth development time.

Just dont say that the whole realism argument isnt valid, because its expesiially valid with dayz.

Yes, I can deny that point. It has nothing really to do with realism. If we were able to pick our noses or scratch our balls that would make the game more realistic, right? But then why can't I adjust car mirrors or key scratch the paint, so unrealistic.

It's a game, meaning even if it's the most complex one in existence, it is still infinitely more limited compared to real life. The realism argument is invalid because people don't know what realism is.

• Like 1

Yes, I can deny that point. It has nothing really to do with realism. If we were able to pick our noses or scratch our balls that would make the game more realistic, right? But then why can't I adjust car mirrors or key scratch the paint, so unrealistic.

It's a game, meaning even if it's the most complex one in existence, it is still infinitely more limited compared to real life. The realism argument is invalid because people don't know what realism is.

And yet every almost single thread has something to do with making the game more realistic and every single thread has the sentence in it "you can/cant do it IRL".

Its a game, which aims for realism and authenticity, which means that exact point is very valid.

Dont get me wrong, we will never be able to do all the stuff we can do IRL, but the stuff we can do is aiming towards making it as realistic as possible.

Anyway, to each his own, dont think we will agree on this one :)

Drinking/eating animal blood I can understand, but covering yourself in blood seems incredibly unrealistic. It's honestly tantamount to that post-apocalyptic trope where people cover themselves in pots and pans and leather rags and call themselves 'raiders'. It's stupid. Nobody is going to react that way mere weeks following the downfall of society. Cannibalism arises out of necessity. Only the most mentally unstable Ed Gein types would douse themselves in the blood of their victims, and those people - would you know it - aren't all that common. 'Player freedoms' is a cop-out argument. "We should be able to skip and frolic from location to location, because player freedoms." "We should be able to smear vomit on walls, because player freedoms." "We should be able to sew people together because I am secretly Joseph Menge... ah, I mean playerfreedoms.exe."

Reminds me of that slew of "we should be able to rape players and wear their heads as trophies" posts from a while back. Not as bad as that, I'll grant, but almost as stupid.

I don't see the game as complete until I can make a human centipede from the players I capture.

• Like 2

And yet every almost single thread has something to do with making the game more realistic and every single thread has the sentence in it "you can/cant do it IRL".

Its a game, which aims for realism and authenticity, which means that exact point is very valid.

Dont get me wrong, we will never be able to do all the stuff we can do IRL, but the stuff we can do is aiming towards making it as realistic as possible.

Anyway, to each his own, dont think we will agree on this one :)

Obviously we won't. It IS a game which aims for realism, but like I said, people don't know what realism is. Rocket choose to distance from the word "realism" and used authenticity instead for a reason. There is quite a bit of difference in say making the character speed more realistic vs adding an option to smear yourself with human blood just "because you could do it in RL if you wanted".

Drinking human blood provides zero nutritional value and the only effect it serves is to get you sick.  There is no benefit to being naked and smeared with human blood.  Absolutely absurd.

unless it your own blood......I drink my own blood don't ask why just don't.