Sign in to follow this  
BeefBacon

Bent knees

Really wish I had a proper example of this. I'll probably play DayZ later this week so I'll try and take a screenshot/ video then.

Anyway. When players are on a slope, both of their feet are touching the ground. In a lot of games you might see one foot get embedded in the ground and the other foot would float above it. Having feet planted on the ground looks much better than them clipping through or floating above it.

However, characters in DayZ don't bend their knees in order to account for a change in elevation. One leg stretches and the other shrinks and it looks weird as fuck. It actually messes with my eyes a bit and makes me feel that uncanny valley level of discomfort when I see it.

It is sort of a minor point - in fact it is a minor point - but I'd really like to see bent knees (rather than stretching or contracting legs), just for the sake of my sanity and to stop my brain from thinking the screen is skewed when I'm standing on a hill.

Again, small thing, but it's something I'd like to see.

Edited by BeefBacon
  • Like 3

This is probably all be gone when we get the new character/player "skeleton" bound with the new animations. 

That's been talked about for the past few months in the status reports.  A lot of new animations were programmed, but we had to wait for the new player inner structure to get updated before we could see the new animations implemented. (E.G.: Eating while moving, falling from certain heights having it's own animation, limping from a wound/fracture while moving, etc.)

I think that the OP is on to something. We need to be able to bend our knees and bang two empty halves of coconuts together. It will really take some of the tedium out of those long, cross-country treks!

Does anyone know if African swallows migrate to Chernarus? :D

• Like 1

I too would like to see this in the game. It's something that the vast majority of games don't seem to have, but a few games do (Dark Souls is one notable example) and it's one of those tiny details that really adds to the immersion. I'm not sure how difficult something like this is to program so I wouldn't put it high on the list, but it would definitely be nice.

Edited by OnionOfShame

I too would like to see this in the game. It's something that the vast majority of games don't seem to have, but a few games do (Dark Souls is one notable example) and it's one of those tiny details that really adds to the immersion. I'm not sure how difficult something like this is to program so I wouldn't put it high on the list, but it would definitely be nice.

Yeah I wouldn't say it should be a high priority, but it'd be nice to eventually see. It features in a lot of games - Half-Life 2, STALKER and I think Fallout 3 are a few examples. I daresay it's not particularly difficult to implement but, as Odin Lowe mentioned, such a feature might be considered for the new animation system.