thefriendlydutchman

Polygon Slider- For better FPS!

Already said this in another post but want to goarrow-10x10.png into it somewhat more.

So, lets startarrow-10x10.png with the definition of what I had in mind.

''A polygon slider is a slider that de or increases polygons (polygons is what every 3d model is build out of and are small triangles (or squares.circles)).''

Still don't understand? No worries

Here is a picture to show what I mean:

the first head has less polygons then the third head, so what the option would do is increase FPS (in huge amounts) 

This would helparrow-10x10.png the people with medium or bad computersarrow-10x10.png allot, and will lead to more consumersarrow-10x10.png which leads to more money which leads to the game becoming even better as more people can be hired.

tess-01.jpg

How this would work:

you would have multiple options to choose in video settings:

Low: is around 65% of the polygons you normally have

Medium: is around 80% of the polygons you normally have

Normal: is 100% of the polygons so no change to what the game currently has (for high end pc's)

However the polygon slider shouldn't removearrow-10x10.png to much polygons as it would give other people an advantage over the other here is a picture below showing what I mean with don't removearrow-10x10.png to much polygons

polygon-count-diminishing-returns-consol

As you can see 60 triangles would make the game unplayable.

Thanks for reading heres a polygon:

porygon__pokemon__vector_by_paradox550-d

Edited by jorn818

The game already has this. It's called Object Quality.

Yes and no, See trees that are far away still get rendered with the same amount of polygons (only the texture gets downsampled) if they only would fix that it would already increase FPS with 20-30 which would be amazing and not even such a difficult job to be honest.

Not sure if this is correct (correct me if i'm wrong) but doesnt the object quality just makes it that the objects spawn less far away and that you can't see inside buildings

as seen in the config with the: scenecomplexity (which is the object detail)

You do realize that you can not reduce polygons on the fly... So a slider would be out of the question, however you could have LOD's (level of detail), wich basically mean every model has 3 or more preset meshes it can load (low, mid and high poly). And guess what, the engine does this by default based on distance.

What you are referring to, seems to me, is tessellation. Which add's more poly's to low poly's, however, this would be a huge performance hit.

It simply would otherwise be impossible to increase the polygon count without simply breaking the animation rig's blending/blend shapes.

• Like 1

You do realize that you can not reduce polygons on the fly... So a slider would be out of the question, however you could have LOD's (level of detail), wich basically mean every model has 3 or more preset meshes it can load (low, mid and high poly). And guess what, the engine does this by default based on distance.

What you are referring to, seems to me, is tessellation. Which add's more poly's to low poly's, however, this would be a huge performance hit.

It simply would otherwise be impossible to increase the polygon count without simply breaking the animation rig's blending/blend shapes.

Ah okey I understand, I was hoping the devs could create some kind of program to reduce polygons of things like trees and buildings,vehicles,roads but not the weapons items and characters

Hello there

The meshes are fairly low already, and the devs have used lots of "tricks" to make a low poly object appear high poly in game. Expect more tweaking as we go along though.

Its a nice idea though and I like the post. Constructive!

Rdgs

LoK

• Like 3

Yes and no, See trees that are far away still get rendered with the same amount of polygons

This isnt true.

Edited by B@ker
  • Like 4