Sign in to follow this  
jayfkay (DayZ)

How is the AKM in 58?

Plenty of people seem to wield it, has it gotten any love this patch (supposedly its recoil has been tweaked, whatever that means - hopefully it was lowered)?

Couldnt get my hands on one personally as of yet.

Hopefully the recoil was increased imo.

The AKM didn't need any love, it was pretty much the best all around weapon.

Hopefully the recoil was increased imo.

The AKM didn't need any love, it was pretty much the best all around weapon.

It was and then they increased the recoil so much in 57 that it became completely unusable beyond 5 meter distance.

So yes, it does need some love. Its really hard to balance that gun, but making it nearly unusable isnt a solution either. I rather have them increase rarity and return usability closer to previous states again. Possibly lower the recoil again but nerf dispersion a little more so it really does stay in the 200m effective range.

Edited by jayfkay

shouldn't it be more 3-500m effective?

I thought the AK was quite a good little rifle, even without selective fire.

It was and then they increased the recoil so much in 57 that it became completely unusable beyond 5 meter distance.

So yes, it does need some love. Its really hard to balance that gun, but making it nearly unusable isnt a solution either. I rather have them increase rarity and return usability closer to previous states again. Possibly lower the recoil again but nerf dispersion a little more so it really does stay in the 200m effective range.

Oh my mistake, I don't think I used it in .57.

Rail hand guard + Bipod + PSO-1 Or Kashtan Scope = a gun with next to no recoil

Also learn how to burst fire or single shot its the best way most kids go full auto...Just don't go full auto only close range (Inside buildings or up close) anywhere from 15 meters plus don't full auto burst fire or single shot and aim for the f*cking head it 1 hit kills you know.

Edited by Senodog

Also learn how to burst fire or single shot its the best way most kids go full auto...Just don't go full auto only close range (Inside buildings or up close) anywhere from 15 meters plus don't full auto burst fire or single shot and aim for the f*cking head it 1 hit kills you know.

Attachments dont reduce the recoil of guns.. The problem with the recoil nerf of 57 for the AKM was that it was way too hard to land follow up shots even on 20-50m distances because a single shot just kicks up way too much. Meanwhile you can easily handle the other ak variants on full auto.

I agree the AKM should not be the beast it used to be in the pre-57 era, but it should also not be the useless piece of crap it is now.

The recoil easily got doubled in just one patch and thats not realistic nor a good way to balance things.

Like I said, my suggestion would be toning down the recoil once again and reducing dispersion a little.

Attachments dont reduce the recoil of guns.. The problem with the recoil nerf of 57 for the AKM was that it was way too hard to land follow up shots even on 20-50m distances because a single shot just kicks up way too much. Meanwhile you can easily handle the other ak variants on full auto.

I agree the AKM should not be the beast it used to be in the pre-57 era, but it should also not be the useless piece of crap it is now.

The recoil easily got doubled in just one patch and thats not realistic nor a good way to balance things.

Like I said, my suggestion would be toning down the recoil once again and reducing dispersion a little.

Actually, this isnt true.

The rear buttstock of the guns DOES affect the recoil, and different ones have different results. You'll see a difference if you fire a gun with a buttstock, or without a buttstock. Attachments do reduce the recoil, like the handguard for the MP5.

That being said, I am curious to what the recoil is on the AKM currently, it was IMPOSSIBLE to use last patch. 

That being said, I am curious to what the recoil is on the AKM currently, it was IMPOSSIBLE to use last patch.

It wasn't IMPOSSIBLE as long as you were shooting it like a muzzle loader!

• Like 2

It wasn't IMPOSSIBLE as long as you were shooting it like a muzzle loader!

Well shit, ive been doing it all wrong.

Actually, this isnt true.

The rear buttstock of the guns DOES affect the recoil, and different ones have different results. You'll see a difference if you fire a gun with a buttstock, or without a buttstock. Attachments do reduce the recoil, like the handguard for the MP5.

No it doesnt affect the recoil.. when 55 came out I had an M4 with no attachments and it still worked exactly like before.

All that attachments do is add a little multiplier to dispersion aka lowering it by x amount.

Dispersion is not the same as recoil. Lower dispersion means you have a longer accurate range. Go fire an AK with or without buttstock, it will not affect the recoil in the slightest. Aks are perfectly usable without buttstocks actually, which isnt all that realistic.

No it doesnt affect the recoil.. when 55 came out I had an M4 with no attachments and it still worked exactly like before.

All that attachments do is add a little multiplier to dispersion aka lowering it by x amount.

Dispersion is not the same as recoil. Lower dispersion means you have a longer accurate range. Go fire an AK with or without buttstock, it will not affect the recoil in the slightest. Aks are perfectly usable without buttstocks actually, which isnt all that realistic.

You still ignore the fact that there are attachments that reduce the recoil.

Mp5 Compensator, and the Mosin Compensator.

http://dayz.gamepedia.com/MP5_Compensator

Tehcnically yes, realistically no. The bullet drop of the SKS rounds goes nuts at about 300meters and since zeroing is limited to 100m steps, anything in between those numbers gets quite harder to hit and if in cover, nearly impossible. Anyway the 200m were a suggestion since the AKM was such a fucking beast in the PRE-57 era, that there has to be some kind of weakness to it. So I am suggesting nerfing the dispersion quite a bit but in return normalize the recoil again, because the recoil as of 57 was outrageously retarded. Way too high.

Edited by jayfkay

Technically, yes it is a 300ish rifle.  You can hit stationary mansized targets out to 500.  I have 3 7.62 ak variants and they are fantastic rifles.  They should be second only to the AK74 in terms of best rifle in the game.  Nothing beats the 5.45 rifle.

ANything they do that purposefully makes it a poor choice is gamesmanship.  It should just reflect the real performance of the rifle.

Thanks for the tip on playing every game ever made containing guns ever.

• Like 1