Sign in to follow this  
QUAZIMOFO

Limit brightness/gamma increase

To keep people from cheating at night, to make people use lights, the brightness/gamma sliders should only go so high. People should not be able to crank these up to cheat at night time.

• Like 1

Oh jeez, again with the gamma thing.

Anyone can make adjustments to their PC to work around anything developers do to circumvent 'gamma cheating'. 

Anyone can make adjustments to their PC to work around anything developers do to circumvent 'gamma cheating'.

Yes, but many people are too lazy to do that. Doing it ingame is much easier. Limiting the gamma slider would make less people do it.

• Like 1

Adjusting screen gamma is unlikely to have the same effect as adjusting in-game gamma. It's also much more of a hassle. Your argument is stupid, like saying "putting in anti-cheat measures won't stop hackers, they'll just find a way to circumvent it". While that might be true, it'll make cheating or gamma exploiting a whole lot more difficult to the point that most people are unlikely to bother.

The brightness settings are fine in my opinion. If I'm playing during the day and it's sunny out I crank up the brightness so I can see what's happening. Even when it's dark out I find that having a much higher brightness (around 3/4 of the bar, I think, I've not played in a while) is much nicer to look at.

Adjusting screen gamma is unlikely to have the same effect as adjusting in-game gamma. It's also much more of a hassle. Your argument is stupid, like saying "putting in anti-cheat measures won't stop hackers, they'll just find a way to circumvent it". While that might be true, it'll make cheating or gamma exploiting a whole lot more difficult to the point that most people are unlikely to bother.

The brightness settings are fine in my opinion. If I'm playing during the day and it's sunny out I crank up the brightness so I can see what's happening. Even when it's dark out I find that having a much higher brightness (around 3/4 of the bar, I think, I've not played in a while) is much nicer to look at.

Well, the difference between the two is the (subjective) difference of how impactful each group is - people that abuse their gamma/brightness settings are really only getting a slight advantage, and it becomes detrimental to people that need higher gamma and brightness settings to see because of their monitor. Unlike those settings, hacking very rarely has legitimate means and a major negative impact on regular players, so there are comparatively fewer downsides to implementing an anti-cheat system than there are limiting game settings (because, as I said, there really aren't any legitimate players getting kicked by the anti-cheat [though false positives do happen, no doubt], whereas adjustable brightness and gamma is a necessity to a good number of players.)

• Like 1

Adjusting screen gamma is unlikely to have the same effect as adjusting in-game gamma.

actually...  it would.

The technical aspects of gamma correction are not only impossible to prevent, but they honestly don't create any advantages to players.

(only disadvantages to those who do not use it correctly)

The issue is a bit more complicated... 

index.jpg?noCache=1440890793

Visual Expert Human Factors: Night Vision

The Rods and Cones of the Human Eye

How To See In The Dark. 17 Easy Ways To Improve Your Night Vision

Edited by sushimaster

Well, the difference between the two is the (subjective) difference of how impactful each group is - people that abuse their gamma/brightness settings are really only getting a slight advantage, and it becomes detrimental to people that need higher gamma and brightness settings to see because of their monitor. Unlike those settings, hacking very rarely has legitimate means and a major negative impact on regular players, so there are comparatively fewer downsides to implementing an anti-cheat system than there are limiting game settings (because, as I said, there really aren't any legitimate players getting kicked by the anti-cheat [though false positives do happen, no doubt], whereas adjustable brightness and gamma is a necessity to a good number of players.)

True, but it's extremely unlikely that somebody would actually need to set the gamma that high unless their monitor is completely fucked. If player A decides to play 'legitimately' and uses light sources to see in the dark and such, they are at a disadvantage when they face a player who decides to crank up their gamma - that is a major negative impact. As such player A will just crank up their gamma so they're on an equal footing, so then everybody is using what amounts to an exploit just so nobody has a disadvantage. This isn't good. A similar thing happens on 3pp servers where absolutely everybody wall peeks, because people who don't wall peek will be at a massive disadvantage.

True, but it's extremely unlikely that somebody would actually need to set the gamma that high unless their monitor is completely fucked. If player A decides to play 'legitimately' and uses light sources to see in the dark and such, they are at a disadvantage when they face a player who decides to crank up their gamma - that is a major negative impact. As such player A will just crank up their gamma so they're on an equal footing, so then everybody is using what amounts to an exploit just so nobody has a disadvantage. This isn't good. A similar thing happens on 3pp servers where absolutely everybody wall peeks, because people who don't wall peek will be at a massive disadvantage.

Well then it just becomes a question of how much brightness & gamma should be limited, because it's quite arbitrary at that point. Regardless, people with brighter monitors will always be able to cheat to some degree because they could still set it higher than intended. Just like with 3PP, so long as it exists and the camera allows you to see your body away from your eyes, no matter what they do to limit it people will be able to peak, even if it's extremely limited.

The gamma curve on a TN panel is dependent on your viewing angle.

If you've got a TN panel, go here and see for yourself.

Edited by sushimaster