iShoZza

The Lonewolf Experience

Having clocked over 75hrs, I'd still consider myself still a newbie when it comes to DayZ - knowing the map, spawns, what every item does etc. I usually check back every so often to see how developments coming along and get stuck in for a few days. Now, none of my mates have or want this game, which means I'm always going in alone. I always join populated servers because it's part of the experience, but I rarely ever see anyone, perhaps the odd fresh spawn as I spawn in myself, but usually they're planning to meet friends or aren't particularly interested in jolly cooperation which is a shame.

This is where my journey begins. First thing I do is make myself a stone knife, try to find a few cans of food and perhaps a bag or bottle if I'm lucky... but I'm never lucky. I try not to ponder around in the starting areas for too long, because they're usually wiped clean or are populated w/ geared people terrorizing fresh spawns (because that must be fun). So, I either do or don't find what I'm looking for but don't waste anymore time and start to head inland. Sometimes it's a struggle and I'll end up starving or dying of dehydration but usually I'll find just enough to keep me going as I push onwards.

Few towns inland is when I usually start to gear up, finding some decent clothes, ammunition and a weapon or two... although I never find the right ammo for the guns I have which aggravates me like mad. Eventually I'll have a loaded gun and think to myself that I'm safe n' sound, knowing that's never, ever, the case. If I see people on my journey, I avoid them at all costs. Unless they're not geared. I'd consider myself pretty perceptive which allows me to be a sneaky mofo, usually seeing others before they see me and thus avoid being seen pretty easily, even if they're in groups. The reason I do this is pretty simple...

... When you play alone, the temptation of violence against you is at a much higher percentage. I always end up getting killed the moment I'm really starting to gear up and it's all because I'm alone. If a bandit or someone who might have confronted me for supplies saw that I was with another player or even a couple of people, they wouldn't have killed me unless they also had adequate numbers on their side.

This is my experience every time I play. I'm never hostile and have only ever actually killed one other player in all them hours I've put into DayZ and oh damn was it justified. There was this one time I was in an airfield building looting up and someone had managed to sneak up behind me and knock me out, I woke up, all my ammo and weapons were gone and I had a gun to my head. His mic was really shitty so I didn't know what he was saying, but the jist of it was follow me or die. I followed this guy for hours, every time I tried to make a move in a different direction he'd scream down his mic or shoot the ground near me. Eventually I'd been w/ him for so long that he started to trust me to a little and wasn't going mental every time he couldn't see me. I managed to craft a stone knife w/o him seeing, carried on following him and after awhile when the opportunity presented itself I fucked him up claiming my freedom with nothing but a minor wound from his shitty aim.

Anyway, you get my point. The only reason I decided to write all this is because I'm looking for some people to play with. I'm from the UK so my time zone is GMT and I'm currently playing experimental, if anyone would like to add me on steam - my ID's iShoZza, although I won't accept a request unless I know who's added me, so make sure to reply to this thread if you're also looking for someone else to play with.

140 hours, im still a newbie! died from meat poisoning after surviving meat poisoning the day before and learning my spawns not just checking road signs..

• Like 1

Try the recruitment sub forum.

Try the recruitment sub forum.

'twas more of a story post but I'll head over there too fosho ;)

Best place to put story posts is in the "how was your dayz" forum... always looking for good diaries!

'twas more of a story post but I'll head over there too fosho  ;)

As for this- at the end of your post you say you're looking for people to play with. 

And that sounds pretty much like fodder for a recruitment thread. 

Anyway, you get my point. The only reason I decided to write all this is because I'm looking for some people to play with. I'm from the UK so my time zone is GMT and I'm currently playing experimental, if anyone would like to add me on steam - my ID's iShoZza, although I won't accept a request unless I know who's added me, so make sure to reply to this thread if you're also looking for someone else to play with.

With respect- remember what you post before you dismiss advice.

Edited by ENO75

i don't see that forum? lmao, the majority of the post was about my experience - which fits the forum description. i clearly didn't dismiss the advice either, js haha.

600+ hrs ...still a noob 

Still dont know my way round past NWAF new areas 

Still dont know static truck spawns 

Still dont KoS

Still havent found a m4 at a heli crash

Lone wolfing is far better than group play 
clans are fun but it will almost always end up with team killing or some 
uber tard that mil sims the shit out of everything and leeches the fun out of it 

If you do clique up i suggest a quasi bandit outfit unless you enjoy going into PvP
areas and not shooting til shot at...  seems fine on paper but reality you will be 
 forever guarding some ones gear or trying to regear regroup from being killed all the time
plus side is you get good with all weapons thats about it 

• Like 2

600+ hrs ...still a noob 

Still dont know my way round past NWAF new areas 

Still dont know static truck spawns 

Still dont KoS

Still havent found a m4 at a heli crash

Lone wolfing is far better than group play 

clans are fun but it will almost always end up with team killing or some 

uber tard that mil sims the shit out of everything and leeches the fun out of it 

If you do clique up i suggest a quasi bandit outfit unless you enjoy going into PvP

areas and not shooting til shot at...  seems fine on paper but reality you will be 

forever guarding some ones gear or trying to regear regroup from being killed all the time

plus side is you get good with all weapons thats about it 

dayum son. memorizing map locations is probs one of the hardest things for me too. mainly because places look so similar. not may unique landmarks either.

so how do you get around not being killed if you don't KoS? im starting to think the only way not to die is to kill before being killed. even when I talk to someone and they're like "friendly, friendly" chances are they'll shoot me the moment I lower my weapon which makes my blood boil.

yeah clans don't aren't my thing, its too childish hence the shitty behaviour like you just said - team killing. fuck that. all id really want is one or two people I could play/ be comfortable speaking to tbh. watched the mrblackouts dayz chronicles w/ brian hicks n something like that seems like so much fun.

ah that sucks, I never want to have to resort to shooting on sight but ill still venture into high risk areas, always fun to go where the action is. playing lonewolf n being hunted by bandits has some strange horror-like fun to it haha. thanks for sharing!

i don't see that forum? lmao, the majority of the post was about my experience - which fits the forum description. i clearly didn't dismiss the advice either, js haha.

Fair enough!

I play Lonewolf mostly all of the time with some exceptions when I meet someone. Its true that its hard since most groups will kill a lone player without hesitation but the few times when Ive been in a group and meet other groups of players, shooting usually takes place right away with no communication. While if you run into another lone player, the chance of it going ugly seems smaller. I'd say its about 50/50 with one player 75/25 with two players and 99/1 with three players or more.  Only once in 1300 hours have I met a group of players of three or more that were actually nice and didn't kill, wound, restrain, poison or intimidate me. One fucking time!

OP, if you are going to lone wolf, you gotta use stealth and play slowly. Don't run everywhere like a goddamn noob because you don't have anyone to cover you if shit hits the fan. Get used to walk and crouch. You will need to have the drop on everyone you meet, otherwise you are dead. You need a firearm as well, don't hesitate in killing someone you don't trust. Does he/she looks suspect? Bullet to the head.

In my experience, don't trust groups of people, they can betray you easily using teamspeak or other kind of outside of the game communication device and you will never know it. Other lone wolves are usually OK tbh, I always end up teaming with some stranger in game for a short time, its really fun when you find someone that trusts you and you trust him as well.

Edited by Avant-Garde

I play Lonewolf mostly all of the time with some exceptions when I meet someone. Its true that its hard since most groups will kill a lone player without hesitation but the few times when Ive been in a group and meet other groups of players, shooting usually takes place right away with no communication. While if you run into another lone player, the chance of it going ugly seems smaller. I'd say its about 50/50 with one player 75/25 with two players and 99/1 with three players or more.  Only once in 1300 hours have I met a group of players of three or more that were actually nice and didn't kill, wound, restrain, poison or intimidate me. One fucking time!

Mhm, I can see that being a thing, people sure do love a good ol' gunfight. I would've thought they'd be more likely to communicate group on group, guess not haha. Ah that makes a lot of sense to be honest, rarely do I see another lone player tho. Is there specific areas where you're more likely to come across other lonewolfs? I'm always going from small town to small town inland, usually avoid the bigger places for several reasons. Oh wow, 1.3K hours and only once... that's some good insight. Thanks for sharing!

OP, if you are going to lone wolf, you gotta use stealth and play slowly. Don't run everywhere like a goddamn noob because you don't have anyone to cover you if shit hits the fan. Get used to walk and crouch. You will need to have the drop on everyone you meet, otherwise you are dead. You need a firearm as well, don't hesitate in killing someone you don't trust. Does he/she looks suspect? Bullet to the head.

In my experience, don't trust groups of people, they can betray you easily using teamspeak or other kind of outside of the game communication device and you will never know it. Other lone wolves are usually OK tbh, I always end up teaming with some stranger in game for a short time, its really fun when you find someone that trusts you and you trust him as well.

That's what I try to do usually, I'm a little rushy at the start but that's just because I hate being in the spawns. True that, got caught in a field once and had only the one hay roll for cover, I got fucked haha. Does walking actually have any particular benefits? Don't think I've ever seen someone walking about. Mhm, how do you go about getting the drop and then communicating? I'd assume the safest bet is to be a little hostile until you can determine whether or not you think they're going to try and kill you? I hesitate all the time, like I said in the OP, only killed a single person so far lmao. That's probably gonna have to change if I wanna live by the sounds of it. Yeah I get super paranoid if I see a group, because I usually spot them first I'll stalk them a little then hide somewhere I don't think they'll look - wait for them to pass and then move out. Damn that sounds like fun, hopefully I'll start coming across some other lone players who don't want to kill me lmao ;) Have you added/ continued to talk to people you've met before or is that not really a thing as it is in other mp games?

That's what I try to do usually, I'm a little rushy at the start but that's just because I hate being in the spawns. True that, got caught in a field once and had only the one hay roll for cover, I got fucked haha. Does walking actually have any particular benefits? Don't think I've ever seen someone walking about. Mhm, how do you go about getting the drop and then communicating? I'd assume the safest bet is to be a little hostile until you can determine whether or not you think they're going to try and kill you? I hesitate all the time, like I said in the OP, only killed a single person so far lmao. That's probably gonna have to change if I wanna live by the sounds of it. Yeah I get super paranoid if I see a group, because I usually spot them first I'll stalk them a little then hide somewhere I don't think they'll look - wait for them to pass and then move out. Damn that sounds like fun, hopefully I'll start coming across some other lone players who don't want to kill me lmao ;) Have you added/ continued to talk to people you've met before or is that not really a thing as it is in other mp games?

Imo you should KoS a bit to lose the fear in killing someone and get a bit used to the PVP, because PVP in this game is fucking scary beyond belief m8, you need some experience in this, its a crucial thing in this game.

Vantage of walking is that you make less movement, same with crouching, less movement is harder for the eyes to catch. Camouflage helps but notice that in DayZ the world is quite static, movement is something that stands out A LOT in the general landscape. Whenever I'm on a city (especially on the coast) I just walk and go crouched, you would be amazed by how people doesn't see you. In my experience, most of the players are rushing to go somewhere or to look for something. They sprint a lot, and usually play 3rd person. That means, they are not very aware of their environment, tunnel vision is a curse man.

Once I was at Kamenka, I was standing up and walking towards a house and m8, a guy came running out of the fucking nowhere, I panicked as I had only a shitty revolver and the dude looked fully geared with AK's and shit, I fucking froze, he goes and enter the house I was planning to get in, PASSING IN FRONT OF ME sprinting like fucking Usain Bolt, I just stood still. HE DIDN'T SAW ME MAN, I couldn't believe it lol. I went on one of the house's window and he was eating something, gave him a bullet to his head. I couldn't believe he didn't saw me hahhahahhaha I wasn't even with military camouflage, just brown and beige civilian clothes and one of those small backpacks that you craft with hope and burlap you know

About having the drop, yeah, you gotta impose yourself man. Show that if the guy doesn't obey you, he is dead. Show him that you are doing him a favor in not KoSing, and you were nice enough to give him the benefit of the doubt. Tell him to press f2 so he put the hands up, if he does not obey within say, 5-10 secs, shoot to kill because there is a BIG chance he will get the first opportunity to fuck you up. If he cooperates, be friendly, offer food, water... In older builds where you couldn't open canned food with many things like today, I usually had a extra can opener with me as a "greeting card" you know. You gotta build up the trust, rare/cool or useful items help in that. Most of the time its a fucking awkward situation lol, don't show in your voice that you are scared. If someone has the drop on you and actually didn't kill you on sight, well, cooperate lol.

The hard part is: Guy has a big fucking gun in his hand, you have the drop. Should you kill him or try to make contact? If you scare him, he might just panic and shoot you. If you are friendly, he might see you as a easy "loot piñata". You gotta REALLY be careful. Usually I avoid contact so neither of us end up getting killed. Its hard to make contact when you are in a situation of equality (both has guns and can defend/attack) with the other person. Its always better when you find fresh-respawns or mid geared players, since you can attack and they probably can't defend themselves so you can definitely control the situation and be sure he/she will not kill you.

This all, of course, you are not in a military place/end-game loot place. Then you should kill the fucker because its a competition for the loot, if you don't do it, he/she will do it. Maybe you can even trick the more innocent ones with friendly bullshit then kill him/her, that will sure make it easier for you to loot the place and get whatever loot he got before you. Those places are PVP areas man, don't fool yourself thinking they are not lol. Of course there are exceptions, but remember, you might be the innocent one falling for the friendly bullshit lol. Some people say that when trust happens in these places, means that you can REALLY trust the person, but again, its a big gamble and the safest option is obviously kill the person. Why the hell are you looking for friends in the airfield to begin with lol, there are better places for that where people are less trigger happy.

Groups I simply can't trust because they already got a friend you know... There is simply a HUGE chance that they are looking for someone to fuck up lol, plus, they could be playing friendly, but on outside of the game communication systems be conspiring against you! How can you possibly know? Too much risk for little reward in my opinion. I use groups to practice PVP skills eheheh, its always fun a good firefight in this game! AND remember, you need to practice your PVP skills, and how to be cool in the middle of a firefight. I can't stress enough how important this is, its basically what differs a newb from a veteran, how cool can you be in the middle of a firefight so you don't take stupid ass decisions.

Oh and yes, I already made some friends the way I play man, added on steam and all... But I was a really long time without playing, so I guess those friendships kinda got lost in time lol. But tbh with you, I rather lone wolf then play with friends you know, I like to meet other lone wolves and build up the relationship, I think that this is one of the most amazing and fun things about this game. Really, I'm not a PVP guy who stalks the airfield with a sniper looking to "improve my K/D" or something, I always try to approach people and you know, talk for a while, get to somewhere together then each one goes his own way you know. You meet some funny and interesting people in this game man. But yes, you can actually make good friends in this game, its a great community with both older and younger players. Its a fun ride man!

EDIT: Holy fuck look at this fucking wall of text, I'm sorry man lol, my english probably doesn't help either.

Edited by Avant-Garde

Your best bet is never to let someone have the upper hand on you unless you fully trust them. I let people go un-harmed on a daily basis but there are a few things that will drastically reduce your chances of surviving an encounter with me:

○ Running around with your weapon in your hands - I know there are loads of reasons for doing this, but i do take it into account that you could very quickly raise and fire the weapon.

○ Not having / refusing to use a mic - I automatically assume you are communicating with friends on teamspeak and thus do not want to use the mic to talk to me.

○ Axcessive distraction / slow reaction to instruction - I assume you are attempting to stall me until backup arrives.

To be honest if you accept a shitty situation with good humor i think quite a lot of bandits will let you go after a quick sift through your gear. Remember that the bandit / random other player is just as jumpy and paranoid as you are, so if you can insert some laughs it might help break the ice so to speak :)

A good tip if you don't want to kill someone or leave them defenseless by taking weapons or ammo, but also feel too paranoid to walk away from them ; carry a few pairs of handcuffs easily found in police stations. Cuff the player before you leave, tell them how to struggle out but mention that you will look over your shoulder occasionally as you exit the area, and if you "see" any struggling you will open fire. In my experience these players will usually leave it a good 5/10 minutes before they even start trying to struggle free of the cuffs, and you get a clean(er) conscience :D

xcvb.jpg

Edited by KenoSkiR

Mhm, I can see that being a thing, people sure do love a good ol' gunfight. I would've thought they'd be more likely to communicate group on group, guess not haha. Ah that makes a lot of sense to be honest, rarely do I see another lone player tho. Is there specific areas where you're more likely to come across other lonewolfs? I'm always going from small town to small town inland, usually avoid the bigger places for several reasons. Oh wow, 1.3K hours and only once... that's some good insight. Thanks for sharing!

If you see a lone wolf 

they are not doing it right 

or you are doing it better