WildGunsTomcat

Melee Weapon Petition

I am new to Arma and I can't believe there is no melee function. I searched the net looking for info on how to use the controls and found that melee is impossible I was shocked. I just found an axe awhile ago and thought all right but was saddened to find it's about worthless. Anyone here saying that melee weapons should be breakable and stuff I think is an idiot. Yeah I can see issues with some things but say like pipes and stuff would require multiple hits to kill a Zombie an Axe say 2 hits a knife several more they don't need to be super powerful but really against a group or even another player it will be little use.

I connected to a few servers where for whatever reason I had no gun I was unable to do much of anything. It wouldn't have been a major deal if I had at least a pipe, bat or crowbar even a knife. I just found a gun in one server but I never seen a single zombie in that one so I left.

I was thinking that since the zombies behave waaaay to erratically to be hit by a melee attack without getting hit back, I was wondering how automatic, disposable defensive items like in the first Resident Evil would work out. They would only work against a single zombie, so a big horde would still waste a survivor.

Also, why exactly can't melee for the player be implimented into DayZ if the zombies can do it? Even melee that was just a very quick, single projectile which only went for a few feet like in TF2 would be better than nothing.

The potential problem with melee weapons i see is that it would be an easy and inexpensive way to kill a zombie without making noise, and it would eliminate the fear of running out of ammo, which is a strong driving force.

But, the possibility of being in a position with no offensive options sucks.

If implemented, it should be high risk. More of a last ditch option, rather than a "I want to be quiet right now" option.

Anyone played Amnesia: The Dark Decent?

No firearms there, no offence at all. Only monsters, and running and hiding.

It's a great game.

Obviously I'm not saying there shouldn't be guns in DayZ, I want to make that perfectly clear. I'm just saying that it is not set in stone that you should be able to shoot things all the time.

I think something like that video of the soldier smashing a civilian with an RPG was a perfect example of how to do it right, except maybe have that animation lock the zombies animation as well.

In any zombie movie/book, capable survivors are able to handle a single zombie with a melee weapon, be it a screwdriver, hatchet, or even a rock. In the good movies, it's never quick, is often noisy. So a long, noisy 'attack' against a single zombie being 'melee' would really be nice, especially since we start with no weapons or ammo.

If the only option is to add an actual melee weapon that you swing like most games, then i'd pass. I wouldn't want something a patient person could methodically use to clear an entire group of zombies.

A way to elbow, shove, kick (something with no damage) shit out of the way though would be nice.

I'm ok with melee but I would like to see it like a very HARD way of killing zombies.

It should be so complex and hard to hit and then kill a zed that no one would ever do it unless you have no ammo/weapon (and that would fit pretty well with the recent update!)

Let's talk about mechanics...

We should be able to make a melee attack since the start... but that attack would never kill a zombie, no matter how many hits... All it does is to knockback the zombies, allowing us a little time to run away (and hide from them, now that it works). The attack speed should be VERY slow, and you should aim PRECISELY at the enemy or a part of its body (eg. you aim to the leg, no attack delivered, you aim for the chest, you hit... but only if you attack a specific part of the chest, like not the belly but the breast etc)

Then we should add a new tool (alongside with the hunting knife, the wood axe, the tool box etc) that allow us to make a hand to hand attack. Again, attack speed superslow, and the aiming system should be important here as well (and maybe we should add a little of "head bounce" during the attack animation, making even more harder to aim correctly)... and of course we need AT LEAST 2 hits to kill a zombie (no oneshotting zombies with melee... they are human bodies, not ceramic statues... you need to make several damage before it falls).

If you get the timing just right, you can pretend you're kicking the zombie in the balls using the step over animation.

I will add my opinion. Arma 2 doesnt support melee. End of.

That's not an opinion, that's a fact. You've added nothing. Good work.

Of course, the zombies appear to melee, so.. what the engine supports in this regard is irrelevant and it's clear that Rocket could find a clever way of doing it if he so chose.

Seems like there's two arguments here:

People for melee:

"It could be balanced using X' date='Y,Z. It makes sense and would be something of a last resort or a stealthy albeit risky way of dispatching a zed or two unnoticed..."

[b']People against melee:

"OMFG this would ruin the game! This isn't left for dead! It would either be too OP or useless anyways! The engine doesn't even support it!"

Ie constructive ideas for a game in alpha, or ignorance and useless feedback.

I've yet to see any kind of explanation as to why this shouldn't be in the game that isn't hyperbole, insulting, ignorance, wild extrapolation or some combination of the four.

That being said, it's been done on the engine as the youtube links attest. It could be made balanced, like the knife in STALKER for instance. A last resort or silent option (provided you sneak up on the zed, or can get one alone) but otherwise far less effective than even the basic pistol.

MAYBE allow players to craft some makeshift weapons or use tools left lying about like pitchforks and hammers, though at the expense of durability rather than ammunition.

THIS

/signed

There is no question in my mind whether there should be melee weapons, and I think this should include fists. You should never be without a weapon, and the weapon you use should never be without consequence.

Use a gun? It's loud.

Use a silenced gun? It's hard to find ammo and it's weak.

Use a melee weapon? YOU'RE IN MELEE RANGE OF ZOMBIES. NOT A GOOD PLACE TO BE.

Use your fists? You're pretty much f'd, but better to go out fighting.

I will add my opinion. Arma 2 doesnt support melee. End of.

That's not an opinion' date=' that's a fact. You've added nothing. Good work.

Of course, the zombies appear to melee, so.. what the engine supports in this regard is irrelevant and it's clear that Rocket could find a clever way of doing it if he so chose.

[/quote']

There are lots of options for melee, it just seems that some people cannot get over the fact that this is a simulation with high realism. If I have a hatchet and I am chased by two zombies I am going to attack them. They might kill me, but I'm going to get it my all. I also might get a disease, but at least I didn't die!

This is a survival game, let people use their survival instincts which includes scratching out zombie eyeballs with their bare hands even if it means losing 10k blood and breaking an arm.

That is fantastic. Thank you for sharing!

Hey Everyone that said Melee isn't supported by Arma 2:

[NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Hatchet (can only drop through right click in gear menu)

[NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Crowbar (can only drop through right click in gear menu)

Eat it. Eat it hard.

/thread

[NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Hatchet (can only drop through right click in gear menu)

[NEW] Melee Weapon introduced: Crowbar (can only drop through right click in gear menu)

Eat it. Eat it hard.

/thread

I love you.

Eat it. Eat it hard.

/thread

I'll eat it. Hard, even.

Have anyone tried it out? What do you think? Are you going to carry a melee weapon instead of a gun?

Here's why I'm against melee. If you want to shoot then you need to aim and hit the right spot for a kill. You need to practice to get good. But if you want melee you just face the guy and press a button? No skill whatsoever!

Now, if you had to slash and parry with something like a wii controller, then I would be for it.