Sign in to follow this  
Damnyourdeadman

Radios : A Cure for Player Interaction

Still maintain that your mic should be open at all times in game, not just holding caps lock, thus anyone using Teamspeak to chat will be broadcasting everytime they talk to their squad so they can potentially be overheard as would happen in real life... Whether that would hurt or hinder radios in game is difficult to say but I personally like the idea of radios being used more..

If you don't like the radio chat, remove the battery for later and chuck the damn thing.

Radios allow player contact without all the fuss that normally occurs with Dayz encounters. Usually by the time you see someone in game it is too late to do anything other than split second decisions. You were looting a room, turn around and BOOM someone walks in looking for the same thing. With that proximity your options are limited to only a handful of things. Most players panic, and that is where you get the KoS issue. Not because of CoD "kiddies" or dickhead bandits. Just plain old fear.

With radios you can attempt to make contact without being in a life and death situation. It leads to coordination, planning, scheming  :ph34r: and ultimately more in depth interactions than the current, "Oh shit player, aaaaaaaaaand I'm dead" situation.

The range however, should be limited for three reasons.

1. It leads to abuse and bogs down the server when global or side channel is used.

2. Radios realistically don't have that range.

3. It gives players an incentive to move around and explore. No radios users in range in the SW corner? Time to hike east to look for contact.

I see that some people have said "no, unless the range is limited". Well that's exactly what the devs have also had in their minds ;)

• Like 1

The idea: Increase player interaction by using realistic advanced tactics available with a battery and a radio.

• Sending morse code with a radio+piece of paper+pen, should give a visual chat interface that looks like writing on paper. (Which show's broadcasts over a XXX range for a XXX amount of time). 
  • When carrying a radio, every time a morse code transmissions happens in your range, a message pops up "wanna write down the message:  y/n" = yes is 10 sec writing action, n= missing message.
  • When written down, it is displayed on the paper.
  • After which the translation could happen manual, or automatic with the new to introduce converter (mini enigma machine)

This gives the ability to realistic communicate with fellow players for all sorts of fun interactions. And! The most important part, you never know if your morse code sender is the actual person you meet.

(To send morse code: copper wire + radio)

(To for luxery sending and translating: a new to introduce MorseCode converter (mini enigma)

(With the softskills, a new proffesion is born)

This could be actually sooooo cooool  "Help, bandits Vybor" answered by "Hero's incomming" ends with "Everyone is dead"

from: http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/228043-intergrate-morse-code-in-radio-broadcasts-to-transmit-over-longer-ranges/

Being able to tap into PA systems at military installations, schools, hospitals, etc would make for an interesting addition. I can just see someone(s) taking over the PA system at NWAF and announcing that the airfield is under their control or whatever from the ATC. It would give you a much larger audible radius and provide the means for some interesting situations to unfold. And if some obnoxious twat starts spamming the PA to annoy everyone, his location is fixed, and he can properly be dealt with.

I absolutely can't wait for the megaphone and maybe some PA systems, being able to broadcast something loud. The problem would be the people spamming the microphone instead of using it for RP to enhance the immersion.

OP: Having a working radio at spawn, although being sort of unrealistic, would definitely improve player interaction at some level. Your bullet points are spot on :beans: , though you'll have to add a 5th bullet point for "griefers"

• Like 1

I have said since day one, that lack of global communication with the whole server is primarily the main reason why KOS is so high. Having a radio in your inventory that allows you to effectively side chat to anyone else who has a radio may mix things up a lot. Too many people have killed someone out of panic/fear or self preservation, only to find out they weren't armed. The fact that side chat was so common in the mod made it easier to make alliances, team up, find out who is going on a rampage around cherno killing everyone and who wanted to meet up and trade. The fact that player interaction would be so much better when you get used to the regulars online, means you find out who to trust, who to shoot and who to ignore will make a massive change in gameplay. That said it wont stop kos or campers, because these people will still stay as they are and wont interact with other players via radio to keep their identity secret, meaning people would have to guess who the killer is or call on everyone to come to cherno and flush out the camper.

• Like 2

I absolutely can't wait for the megaphone and maybe some PA systems, being able to broadcast something loud. The problem would be the people spamming the microphone instead of using it for RP to enhance the immersion.

These things would be great for when base - building comes into play.

You can broadcast your voice to the front gate,from the safety of your command tent/structure.

That's a very big deal.

OP: Having a working radio at spawn, although being sort of unrealistic, would definitely improve player interaction at some level. Your bullet points are spot on :beans: , though you'll have to add a 5th bullet point for "griefers"

2wayRadio.jpg

It's a good thing that the new radios come with an LCD screen.

Listening to countless people broadcasting at once could get very messy.

That's why i really hope for the devs to make the player,able to configure their radio's settings according to their preferances.

Meaning to give them the freedom to choose from different settings like...

- Text Only - Enabled / Disabled

- Voice Only - Enabled / Disabled

- Or both Text and Voice - Enabled / Disabled

This could save a lot of people from potential headaches.

Microphone trolling could be easily avoided by configuring the radio to receive text only .

In the same sense,text trolling can be avoided by switching over to the voice only radio setting.

And if that doesn't work,you could always change the frequency. :)

It's about time 13 year old kids on DayZ had a bigger audience to play their expletive filled rap music to. Because that's what DayZ really needs. I know I can't wait to listen to children swearing over microphone, thinking they're gods gift to humanity.

Put radio in hand, look towards sea, hold down G for thirty seconds, release.