Sign in to follow this  
Luftpancake

New death effect

Death effects  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support this idea

• Yes, I do.
    • Possibly, i have some stuff to change or add.
    • No, I don't like this.

Hello survivors of the standalone, I think death could have a new effect. Something along the lines of a bright light rushing across the screen moments before "You are dead". Note that this post is edited because one of the ideas on originally had i ended up deciding was dumb, thank you to Sacha for noting me of my mistake.

Edited by BillNyeTheRussianSpy

You don't instantly die when you get shot in DayZ either, unless the other guy is lucky or a good shot. There is already a 'dying' mechanism, in that your screen gradually turns black-and-white and your vision gets blurry as you lose blood or get injured or sick. Instant death happens when it should (barring bugs of course), i.e. headshots, heartshots, fatal falls, etc.

Also, it's the middle of the apocalypse, society has collapsed. Medical care for severe injury or illness. is basically non-existant. How many people do you think will come back from seeing the light in those circumstances?

• Like 3

You don't instantly die when you get shot in DayZ either, unless the other guy is lucky or a good shot. There is already a 'dying' mechanism, in that your screen gradually turns black-and-white and your vision gets blurry as you lose blood or get injured or sick. Instant death happens when it should (barring bugs of course), i.e. headshots, heartshots, fatal falls, etc.

Also, it's the middle of the apocalypse, society has collapsed. Medical care for severe injury or illness. is basically non-existant. How many people do you think will come back from seeing the light in those circumstances?

I'm not sure that you completely understood what i meant at that last part. I didn't say you would come back from the dead, i just said you would see a bright light form at the end.

And this is my fault for not stating this, but i know you die slowly, but i'm talking the moment you're incapacitated seconds before "You are dead".

Actually, i'm sorry. Some of these parts are stupid. I'll edit the post quick.

i think it was origins where when you would get near death you would hallucinate and see these weird faces of this woman and a a red skull that would flash on screen was creepy at first but after awhile got rather annoying when you were trying to gather things and this damn skull thing would flash up and zeds were trying to eat your face all at the same time.

Hello survivors of the standalone, I think death could have a new effect. Something along the lines of a bright light rushing across the screen moments before "You are dead". Note that this post is edited because one of the ideas on originally had i ended up deciding was dumb, thank you to Sacha for noting me of my mistake.

what i would rather see (hear lol) is a sound effect of choking on your own blood while you see the You are Dead screen

• Like 1

I like that the screen just goes black when you die. It adds a certain mystery, like when you hear a shot and before you can place it bam you're dead.

I'd like to keep it mundane, really, the fade-out and blurryness (if you have post-processes on) is enough i think

also i like that when getting headshot, you don't even hear the shot and instantly get the "you are dead" black screen

though something like "Hicks says "GG" would be nice instead of "You are Dead"

• Like 1

It'd be great to have you incapacitated with very limited movement with your head.

People do not die instantly when shot unless it's in the head, and it takes a long time to bleed out from stabbing wounds where the victim lays there for a while just waiting.

Oh, but but but then people would tell their friends on teamspeak or skype what they see when they're incapacitated!

So? They'll see the sky most of the time, or what's off their shoulder. Doesn't matter much.

• Like 1

It'd be great to have you incapacitated with very limited movement with your head.

People do not die instantly when shot unless it's in the head, and it takes a long time to bleed out from stabbing wounds where the victim lays there for a while just waiting.

Oh, but but but then people would tell their friends on teamspeak or skype what they see when they're incapacitated!

So? They'll see the sky most of the time, or what's off their shoulder. Doesn't matter much.

I wonder if there's a way to fix that stupid teamspeak shit.

• Like 1

I'd like to keep it mundane, really, the fade-out and blurryness (if you have post-processes on) is enough i think

also i like that when getting headshot, you don't even hear the shot and instantly get the "you are dead" black screen

though something like "Hicks says "GG" would be nice instead of "You are Dead"

I do like that you don't hear the gunshot, but the only problem with that is you can't tell if you were killed by a glitch or hacker. For the time being on alpha, i think saying what killed you may be good. That feature of course can and should be removed by time the game is stable enough for beta.

I wonder if there's a way to fix that stupid teamspeak shit.

This. Teamspeak/Skype/Steam Call/etc. is the most game breaking issue at the moment in my opinion. But unfortunately, I don't think there's really any way they could block it (and even if they could, people could just use phones or something). The only way I can think of would be to remove push-to-talk completely and force continuous transmission, but that's a really bad solution, and there are many ways to work around it.

Edited by OnionOfShame

I do like that you don't hear the gunshot, but the only problem with that is you can't tell if you were killed by a glitch or hacker. For the time being on alpha, i think saying what killed you may be good. That feature of course can and should be removed by time the game is stable enough for beta.

right, i remember being solo at a military outpost, being in a room with one window side, from which i had cover though, didn't hear any door open, didn't hear any steps, just instantly "you are dead"

still don't know if that was a bug or a guy killing me from a weird angle

This. Teamspeak/Skype/Steam Call/etc. is the most game breaking issue at the moment in my opinion. But unfortunately, I don't think there's really any way they could block it (and even if they could, people could just use phones or something). The only way I can think of would be to remove push-to-talk completely and force continuous transmission, but that's a really bad solution, and there are many ways to work around it.

blocking third party communication would be a nail in the coffin for this game, if you are fighting a group, double tap with a headshot and expect people to "magically know" where your position is when it was compromised

Edited by Zombo
  • Like 1

you guys never saw this?!  at min. 2:10 the dead animation.

the concept this guy made is just epic! wondering if ever some of this will come into game :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvjAlbTWju0 at

My original post had something like this, but there was some people starting to doubt it. So i edited it and removed that whole thing to something that would be "More realistic"

right, i remember being solo at a military outpost, being in a room with one window side, from which i had cover though, didn't hear any door open, didn't hear any steps, just instantly "you are dead"

still don't know if that was a bug or a guy killing me from a weird angle

blocking third party communication would be a nail in the coffin for this game, if you are fighting a group, double tap with a headshot and expect people to "magically know" where your position is when it was compromised

Have my beans.

More positive views on the poll than negative! That's a first!

If you got shot in the heart or lung you would survive a good 30 seconds to 1 minute either drowning in you own blood or you body is still working.  Then again insta kills would happen if you where shot in the back of your head because you face would explode

Edited by Senodog
  • Like 1

I like the current animation because rag dolling is so derp like XD

• Like 1

If you got shot in the heart or lung you would survive a good 30 seconds to 1 minute either drowning in you own blood or you body is still working.  Then again insta kills would happen if you where shot in the back of your head because you face would explode

Lung shots will still leave a person incapacitated for a short period of time before dying, but longer than that 30 seconds to 1 minute. Your body won't just stop extremely quickly unless you lose your brain, your heart, or a lot of blood.

Lung shots will still leave a person incapacitated for a short period of time before dying, but longer than that 30 seconds to 1 minute. Your body won't just stop extremely quickly unless you lose your brain, your heart, or a lot of blood.

People have survived taken headshots just depends where you get hit in your brain and if it passes through.

As somebody who generally plays Dayz alone, but uses third party programs to chat with friends around the country while doing so, I can honestly say that if Dayz ends up with something to block or stop use of third party chat programs, I will likely stop playing the game. I enjoy being social with my online friends even if we're not in the same game.

On topic, I do feel like something different is needed for the death screen. I understand why it would be problematic to allow a dead character to see what happened, what I would like to have is a text or "paper doll" explanation of what happened. Don't give me the player name, but tell me I was struck in the head, heart, or throat by a bullet, or a crossbow bolt, or an axe. Tell me I bled out. Tell me the zombie took me down, or I broke my spine from a high fall. It might help to find buggy deaths too, considering if you're standing on the ground and receive the "died from a fall" message, it would point to something buggy happening.

As somebody who generally plays Dayz alone, but uses third party programs to chat with friends around the country while doing so, I can honestly say that if Dayz ends up with something to block or stop use of third party chat programs, I will likely stop playing the game. I enjoy being social with my online friends even if we're not in the same game.

Don't worry.  Dayz will never be able to stop you from using a chat to communicate with your friends while you play.

Also, you misspelled Connecticut in your location bio.

People have survived taken headshots just depends where you get hit in your brain and if it passes through.

For sure people have survived being shot in the head, but someone surviving that is an anomaly.