Rogo Ignoscant

Ten Reasons why Kill on Sight is 'Realistic'

If you really believe that if this was a 'real' simulation and there was 'consequences' to your actions if you murder someone and people would for some reason 'not' kill each other in a zombie apocalypse. You're deluded. Shooting on sight might just be your key to survival - any interaction you take with another person would be entirely at your own risk. Who's to say they won't just shoot you first?

TEN Reasons why I would kill anyone I met in real life during a zombie apoc:

(assuming they ignored warnings to keep away .. or I just needed something)

1. Supplies. They are short, and two mouths to feed is harder than one. And face it, you might just be carrying something I can use.

2. Liability. If at any point they are bitten / converted / hungry / infected / hurt I would have to use rationed supplies of medical gear to support and/or aid them. Medical gear that I could use on myself.

3. Trust. Who is this stranger? Are they going to kill me for my limited supplies? How can I trust him/her. There is a high possibility at the point in which I sleep I may never wake up again.

4. Experience. Everyone reacts to a disaster differently. There are some that huddle together and pray, others that loot the rubble of a city shattering earthquake and others again that simply learn rapidly to adapt to their surroundings. There is no telling what kind of murderous experiences this person has had to do to survive. Including killing friends, family members and relatives.

5. Fear. Quite simply at the point where a world has been turned upside down I'd be petrified of just about everything. A realistic approach to any situation. Panic sets in and fight or flight takes over - trust goes out the window.

6. Disease. I don't know who you are, where you've been or what you are carrying. My survival may rely on what little medical supplies I could scavenge together and in a world where a cold or diarrhea could be fatal - I want you as far away from me as possible.

7. Mental Distress. Many disorders occur during high stress situations, including mental distress, dementia, over self preservation, delusion etc. There is no telling what kind of mental state a person is in after that kind of traumatic experience. There is also no telling what mental state I would be in - you have to factor in the fact that you might just go bat shit crazy. You never know, maybe its you who are the crazed bandit that finds power in numbers and goes around killing and taking what you need. Whats stopping you?

8. Bandit Packs. I hate to say this but yes, it would happen. People would band together and forge a new life for themselves, strongest first. Weakest second. The meek are not the mighty.

9. Oppression. Women would become a commodity. People have needs and without law and order, people take what they want. And often kill for it. A persons rights no longer exist when there is no law or repercussions. I for one would immediately turn away anyone of female gender as a companion due to their pull and / or value in such a situation. (I know this is sexist, but lets be 'realistic' here for a minute.)

10. Area Denial. If you're making a living in a 256 x 256 square mile radius and there are fifty other people or more trying to stay alive in the same area - you're going to have some conflict. Zombies or no someones going to want to take someone out. Whats mine is mine, whats yours can also be mine.

So saying 'IN A REAL SITUATION!!' is moot really ... in a 'real' situation it would be doggy dog and people would kill each other just as viciously as they do in the game.

As for being shot in game, if you take the chance to help someone out / take them out completely its an unrealistic in game decision. A lot of people play this game for the experience - and once that experience is over they turn to banditry. What else are you going to do with an AS50, a backpack full of ammo and a range finder. You could die and loot it all again or you can shoot people.

• Like 8

Bullshit.

People would group up for the most part. its human nature.

Some people do, some people dont. Personally I'd only trust a very small number of people and make myself valuable for the group, then kill strangers on sight. At the moment I am doing that in game.

You can has an problems with that?

1) Supplies are literally flowing out of the empty air in Day Z

2) Nobody's "bitten" in Day Z, and you don't have to use medical supplies on others' injuries if you don't want to.

4) Is just a rephrasing of 3 or 5

5) The same inherent motivation as 3; you're afraid because you don't know if you can trust.

6) The only disease in Day Z is an obvious one that immediately manifests symptoms, and it can't infect you if your body temperature isn't in the tank

7) Really, the same thing as 3 and 5. Out of your mind with fear is still afraid.

8) You, personally, shoot every single person on sight because "bandit packs happen"? That doesn't make much sense.

9) This is just sexist bullshit. I'm not touching it.

10) Shooting someone doesn't "deny the area". It kills them. The area is still just as vulnerable, it's still just as easy for someone to sneak in while you sleep or just by going somewhere you aren't looking, and now you've advertised your presence and probably pissed off zombies.

So none of these arguments work for Day Z, because Day Z isn't realistic. It's a game. This brings up the question of why you're posting this in the Day Z Discussion forum instead of Off Topic, but waving that aside, this is still a crappy argument. These points suck for Day Z because Day Z isn't realistic, and they suck for real life because in real life, humans are psychologically limited beings with a strong negative reaction to any murder they can't completely justify, and often even to those. Trained soldiers walk away with PTSD that can affect them for the rest of their lives, and they have social support from their fellows and their organization. A very small percentage of humans have neurological disorders that allow them to transgress this basic moral compass with significantly less psychological shock, but they're generally not running their mouths on internet forums about how THEY would TOTALLY kill everyone they saw in a zombie apocalypse.

Plus, lets face it, if you shot everyone you met OP, you'd die in your sleep about a week in to the apocalypse, if you were lucky enough to get that far. Not the general universal you, the specific ad-hominem you who is actually making this thread.

• Like 3

Nonsense - you are deluding yourself if you think you would turn all bad ass. Unless you have killed before (police, soldier etc) i dont think you would be so blase about killing someone.

Human nature is to band together, not go solo and kill others, otherwise we wouldnt have progressed far as a species.

Groups of humans against other groups of humans is a completely different scenario however. Get a group of people together and anything is possibly (humane and inhumane).

However i am pretty sure that the world wouldnt turn into a massive global deathmatch because of a disaster. I dont remember reading about there being a deathmatch when the Plague hit Europe in the 1300's.

But then again who knows?

I'm gonna call BULLSHIT too.

Most of the reasons given are applicable only because of the current state of the game and those who play it. This has nothing to do with and in is very different than how things would occur in real life....a.k.a. Realistic. Too many people are looking at "realistic" from the point of view of their reasoning withing DayZ and do not consider all the factors that would actually apply to a similar situation in real life. These are the very people who give gamers a bad name and encourage certain groups of people to continue to blame the gaming industry for some of the violent and unsavory behavior displayed by those who play these games.

I also must add that a majority of civilians would not have the knowledge or skills to survive solo for long. The knowledge you have currently for wilderness solo survival is exactly the same amount of wilderness survival you would have at the time of a zombie apocalypse. (I would venture to guess that for most of those playing this game would be next to nothing.) Out of that number, how many have experience with real firearms? The truth of the matter is that most people thinking that they would suddenly become some hard ass, solo survivor type, shooting everyone they encounter because they somehow think that is some kind of tough as nails survivor mindset, would actually become some of the most cowardly, holy shit I want my mommy pants pissers out there. A situation like this would be very terrifying and as such....if you are attempting to survive solo with little knowledge of how to do so, you would be happy to see another survivor as company if for nothing else.

You can create any number of lists for why "shoot on sight" would be "realistic", but the truth of the matter is that if you really believe that load of bullshit applies to real life and you would follow through with these actions in real life.....there is something very wrong with you and you are exactly what is wrong with society.

Self defense is the only reason you should shoot anyone You don't shoot people on sight just because they maybe might be a threat somewhere down the road. The very nature of this mindset is bred from gaming and has no basis in reality.

• Like 6

10. Area Denial. If you're making a living in a 256 x 256 square mile radius and there are fifty other people or more trying to stay alive in the same area - you're going to have some conflict. Zombies or no someones going to want to take someone out. Whats mine is mine' date=' whats yours can also be mine.

[/quote']

Rebuild what was lost? I think 50 people working togather could start up a decent sized village

• Like 1

Nonsense - you are deluding yourself if you think you would turn all bad ass. Unless you have killed before (police' date=' soldier etc) i dont think you would be so blase about killing someone.

[/quote']

There's sort of a reason we call people like that badass or hard, and it isn't just because the word sounds "wizard". That kind of behavior isn't some superpower that only totally awesome people are allowed to use. it's something only people who have been through the worst can do, a paltry indemnity handed out by society that pales in comparison to the things we've had to live with.

As "cool" as it might sound to be able to kill another human if needed, it's nothing of the sort; the only people who think so are the envious and ignorant, and I guarantee to any of you who are looking up, thinking or hoping to be that sort of person: if you ever actually get your wish, you'll wish every day you could just go back to a time where you only thought you could murder someone in cold blood.

• Like 1

Bullshit.

People would group up for the most part. its human nature.

No they won't. New Orleans, Hurricanes. The Government came and destroyed guns so people wouldn't loot. Families stuck together, looting happened... etc.

Think of this game as a RL sim. How many times have you died from compassion? Then that's a lesson you should have learned.

The difference between real life and DayZ is this: When you die in DayZ, it's your fault. You did something WRONG and you DIED because of it. Maybe you shouldn't have engaged that guy in CQC. Maybe you shouldn't have stayed in the city for so long. Maybe you should have watched your back better. Maybe you shouldn't have trusted that player. It's okay, you can try again. If this happened in real life, you're dead. It doesn't matter how "fair" it was. It doesn't matter. What matters is who LIVED and who DIED.

DayZ is what would happen if you could respawn IRL. Get over it.

"(I know this is sexist, but lets be 'realistic' here for a minute.)"

Cool casual sexism bro.

Any woman from this era would shoot your balls off because they haven't been brainwashed into thinking they're commodities like they were for thousands of years by some bullshit religion.

DayZ is what would happen if you could respawn IRL. Get over it.

BRTky.jpg?1321408042

I think that the OP has clearly given deep thought to this matter and has reached the only logical conclusions that a smart person could, I do however believe he missed out a few key reasons why killing on sight is realistic.

1. SHOOT

2. EVERY

3. GOD

4. DAMNED

5. MOTHER

6. FUCKER

7. WITHOUT FAIL

8. WITHOUT HESITATION

9. REALISM

"(I know this is sexist' date=' but lets be 'realistic' here for a minute.)"

Cool casual sexism bro.

Any woman from this era would shoot your balls off because they haven't been brainwashed into thinking they're commodities like they were for thousands of years by some bullshit religion.

[/quote']

You idiot. They're a commodity because they would be raped. That's what he means.

No they won't. New Orleans' date=' Hurricanes. The Government came and destroyed guns so people wouldn't loot. Families stuck together, looting happened... etc.[/quote']

New Orleans population after Katrina ~191,000

Number of murders post-Katrina ~106

People who died from the actual event (Hurricane, flooding and other after effects) ~1,836

Murder to population percentage = 0.055%

Hurricane death to population percentage = 0.961%

So in real-life most people deal with the actual event or disaster. Murdering people is still pretty rare. Remember some of those murders would've happened with or without a disaster. How many were because of the tragedy is anyone's guess.

Either way... if you think murder is normal, you need help.

• Like 1

ppl would not kill themselves, its human nature, and humanity varies one to each other, the most ppl would group together and the others who escaped the prision or had i life of bilionare independent who never trusted others beyond themselves and maybe (just maybe...) their family would kill others on sight for suplies.

man, its a fucking zombie apocalypse, hands are always welcome to help survive, and our objective would b to build a safezone and quarentine the infection, and restore the mankind, repopulate the world with a lot of sex. if u kill someone before ask them who they are and let them prove their trust, ur just an assasin.

• Like 1

I dont recall everyone looting and killing people after Katrina. Sure there were looters, murders and rapes - but we are talking about society in general. Believe it or not most people want rules and laws to abide by - without them we descend into anarchy.

A disaster would not make people anarchists over night. People would look to authority to fix the problem and if there were no authority they would create their own, group together, try and survive. Sure you'd get the odd dick and hillbilly who thinks he's Rambo, but not many.

I think you have watched Mad Max one too many times.

• Like 2

Its dog eat dog retard... its a phrase stating we would go animalistic and just kill each other to survive like will dogs...

As much as I like the mod in its current state (including the shoot-on-sight mentality), it is anything but realistic. The fact of the matter is that when confronted with death, people will do whatever gives them the highest probability of staying alive. In a situation similar to DayZ, that would mean banding together; not in small groups of 3-5, but in larger groups of 10+. Most people don't have the knowledge or wherewithal to survive by themselves in the wild, never mind with the threat of zombies looming about. Furthermore, people would be far less likely to stab you in the back for 'your' supplies if they knew they would likely be lynched by the rest of the shit-scared community for doing so.

Overall, I wish people would stop talking about 'realism'. It's a nice idea, and striving towards it has made DayZ a very nice mod, but it's largely unobtainable without somehow creating an in real life risk for the players.

• Like 1

The OP's post actually scares me. Not because of anything in game, but because there might be someone like him walking around, steaming under the surface with the inane and unenviable desire for a zombie apocalypse to come along so he can finish off the remnants of mankind himself. To respond to a list with a list...

1. Oh please. Sure, if at any time in real life, a zombie apocalypse just so happened to sweep through whatever homely town/city you happen to live in, I'm sure that supplies would be immediately hard to find, yes. Despite all of that, nature is one of the greatest suppliers of food there is. We don't all rely on canned food to get by in our day-to-day life. Animals/fruit/vegetable/etc are still all extremely viable means to get food. After the supermarkets were hit, I'd imagine that the farms would be next, only...here's the real kicker... farms are re-supplyable. Hell, they grow their own food. Unless the only survivors of the apocalypse were city boys with absolutely no idea what a shovel is, food would still grow, and it would still be edible. If we're talking in game... since when have supplies in DayZ been short? One supermarket, done. 3 cans of food and half a dozen sodas. Not bad for a half-hours work. After you get a water bottle, knife, matches, and hatchet, you can literally just live on cooked meat, and avoid civilization altogether.

2. Time and time again, human history would argue against this. We seem to have a fascination with the idealized 'hero' persona. What is a hero after all? A person that helps others, in its most basic of explanations, at least. The vast majority of people out there, when presented with a wounded individual, would rather give him a bandage than put a bullet in his head.

3. Trust? You're really bringing up trust? Let me guess, your parents were the ones who repeatedly, emphatically stressed that you should 'never talk to strangers', because they were more likely to be child molesters and pedophiles than kindly older grandfathers and grandmothers who are reminded of their grandchildren. Nothing, and I do emphatically emphasize the word nothing brings people together more firmly than a common enemy. I would feel that the looming and impending doom and utter destruction of the human race would be a very, very powerful motivator to help other people, rather than simply being another factor towards our eventual extinction.

4. This...well... honestly, I think I'd be saying number 3 all over again.

5. See 4.

6. See 2.

7.See 5, 4, and 3.

8. You are essentially arguing against your other points here. You spend the better part of your list saying how you would instinctively shoot other individuals on sight, yet now try to tell us that you would team of with other people who shot on sight? Would you not get shot on sight first? Would you not shoot them on sight first? Hypocrisy, thy name is Rogo Ignoscant

9. I hesitate to touch this subject with even a ten foot pole, but may I ask what society you grew up in? Is your libido so massive that you immediately become a sex-fueled beast at the mere sight of a woman? Women are likely to be no more rare than men after the so-called 'apocalypse'. They make up a good 50% of the population now, and they would still most likely make up a good 50% of the population afterwards. I can't help but laugh at the fact that you chose women in this point, when 'oppression' could have been used for so many different factors. Race, gender, religion, etc, can all be used as a base for oppression. Don't center on woman due to your own feelings on the matter. You say that you know it is sexist, and my response to that is this. Why say it then? You could have just as easily said something racist, but you chose not to. Afraid of being labeled a racist?

10. Okay... so you've shot someone... Now what? You have just another dead body on your huge plot of land, and nothing else to show for it. What if you had worked together with him? He could have been an engineer, or a plumber. An electrician, or just someone who really wanted to help other people. You might have slowly dragged yourself out of the slow, lonely death you have now given yourself. We all grow old, my friend, but those who grow old with others are inevitably the better for it. Love heals all wounds. A bullet hole... is just a bullet hole, and another dead body at your feet.

tl;dr I disagree.

• Like 5

Its dog eat dog retard... its a phrase stating we would go animalistic and just kill each other to survive like will dogs...

I hate to break it to you, but feral dogs generally roam in packs.