tandwan

Allow servers to lock certain variables.

I'm one of those people who absolutely despises third person because it feels like it actually takes away from the game when you allow it. As an old school Arma player who has only played on 1st person servers I have to admit it makes it alot easier for people to corner camp, hide behind walls and generally easy mode their way through fire fights with very little danger when they can simply corner peak their way to safety. WIth that said, I feel some variables need to be given to server admins to make their servers how they want or set them up in certain aspects.

Field of View : Currently as a person who gets motion sickness and uses this, I feel it should be locked after a certain ratio. Anything higher then 80 should be considered as a player just using it as a poor mans zoom optic.

Gamma : Gamma should be allowed to be set to a certain aspect and not allow for people to soft-gamma hack their way through a game. DayZ is a survival game and light is important because it gives you an idea of what's around you. It should be scary to use it because you're giving your position away when you use it and it can / will get you killed. Allowing people to crank their gamma up on dark servers completely removes this and in some cases is a poor mans NVG. This is another item that should be locked to a certain ratio, allowing people to adjust the game slightly for their game texture but not to the point you suddenly aren't bothered by night.

Steam requests while in game: I am absolutely sick of sad little bandits who try to dupe you into thinking they want to be friendly because they can access my steam page. I've had to put this as private now because it's crazy how many times I get messaged IN GAME (Hey bro, wanna team up?). I learned my lesson the first time and it cost me, we're months past that episode and it's gone from humorous to annoying now. I'm a bit torn about this because on experimental I use it to test bugs with players on the server, but on live it's not even slightly useful to me except for newbie bandits trying to bait.

That's it, I don't expect a miracle but my arguments are my own and my opinion. I know there will be snide, sarcastic remarks but maybe, just maybe a dev will peak at this and give an opinion. 

You do know that raising your FOV reduces zoom, right? And they just made it so that your ADS FOV is locked. So no one can lower it on the fly to zoom in more.

Edited by ColdAtrophy

You do know that raising your FOV reduces zoom, right? And they just made it so that your ADS FOV is locked. So no one can lower it on the fly to zoom in more.

May have meant lower than 80, since only bastard heathens play with a FOV lower than 90. Or at least I like 85 - 100. Any less and it's mildly disorientating, any higher and the screen seems to bulge.

Steam requests while in game: I am absolutely sick of sad little bandits who try to dupe you into thinking they want to be friendly because they can access my steam page

How do they do that? I guess they find your in-game name and then look up your Steam profile? In my case my in-game name is usually different. Could be worth switching things up a bit if this is a problem for you. Not ideal, sure, but better than nothing.

A lot of people have suggested that things like gamma and brightness should only be set outside of the game, maybe in a launcher or something. That way people can't crank it up on the fly. It'd only be a mild inconvenience but it'd help (though I'm guilty of the exploit as well since everybody else does it. It's the same with 3pp - if people are going to wallpeek then I will too. That's why I usually stick to 1pp). I think the devs have addressed the gamma thing, but I don't know what they plan to do about it.

Edited by BeefBacon

May have meant lower than 80, since only bastard heathens play with a FOV lower than 90. Or at least I like 85 - 100. Any less and it's mildly disorientating, any higher and the screen seems to bulge.

How do they do that? I guess they find your in-game name and then look up your Steam profile? In my case my in-game name is usually different. Could be worth switching things up a bit if this is a problem for you. Not ideal, sure, but better than nothing.

A lot of people have suggested that things like gamma and brightness should only be set outside of the game, maybe in a launcher or something. That way people can't crank it up on the fly. It'd only be a mild inconvenience but it'd help (though I'm guilty of the exploit as well since everybody else does it. It's the same with 3pp - if people are going to wallpeek then I will too. That's why I usually stick to 1pp). I think the devs have addressed the gamma thing, but I don't know what they plan to do about it.

Actually I believe they can do so because of the recently played with through steam works for DayZ(its how some cheaters can follow you to another server, they join, target a specific person, then continue to grief him until he quits completely, its the main reason I am never logged on to steam friends while in-game).

Sadly, it's good luck controlling the gamma settings, as you can tune it on the screen, or in GPU drivers or in the game, all which accomodates the same end result. they can't develop an intrusive bit of code which overrides all those things(legal issues in almost any country). the only way to truly combat it is by doing something with the almost complete blackness.

Actually I believe they can do so because of the recently played with through steam works for DayZ(its how some cheaters can follow you to another server, they join, target a specific person, then continue to grief him until he quits completely, its the main reason I am never logged on to steam friends while in-game).

Sadly, it's good luck controlling the gamma settings, as you can tune it on the screen, or in GPU drivers or in the game, all which accomodates the same end result. they can't develop an intrusive bit of code which overrides all those things(legal issues in almost any country). the only way to truly combat it is by doing something with the almost complete blackness.

I suspect that changing the screen gamma won't have quite the same effect as changing the gamma in-game, but that's a fair point.

It may be the case that night is brightened to the point where you don't need to increase gamma. Think Skyrim or some other RPG where night is dark but not that dark. I think my favourite night time in any game has got to be Stalker. Even though it was pitch black it was atmospheric as fuck. It also didn't last 300 years like it does in DayZ. Accelerated time would almost certainly help. It's irritating joining a DayZ server only to be greeted by pitch blackness and the knowledge that it's going to be like this until the next server restart.

I don't know but it's not uncommon for me to get an invite on every server i play on at least once. I recently set my profile to private in hopes that will fix it = /

I don't know but it's not uncommon for me to get an invite on every server i play on at least once. I recently set my profile to private in hopes that will fix it = /

That's happend twice to me, the last time was when I was trying to meetup with a friend on a mid pop server, he kills someone and seconds later both of us get a friend reqest from the same person who's name was similar to the guy he killed. I changed my steam profile to private after that but it's still unerving and makes me wonder how they're doing it.

Oh and I often change my in game name to something fairly random that isn't even close to my Steam name.

When I'm in the woods or away from cities I use 3pp to have something (my character) to look at to ease boredom. When I'm in cities however, I use 1pp because to me it increases my awareness. I've done this since Arma 2, Takistan opened me up to the advantage of 1pp in cities. It also helps with accurate hipfire without aiming (I play on non crosshair servers during ArmA firefights) and I can hit a player in the head from roughly 30 meters.

Maybe for an update add a forcefield that disables 3pp around a certain distance in cities? Cause I play 1pp and 3pp, both have their perks.