Sign in to follow this  
Denatured

Soda Can Coin Stove.

I think this would be a great addition. to craft the Soda Can Stove you would need two soda cans, knife or blade, a small stone or coin and one nail. to fuel the stove you would need a bottle of alcohol tincture. It would not last as long as the other stove/fires, but would be small. Needing only one slot for the soda can stove, it would be perfect for those who want to utilize space.

DyX3pzw.jpgDgJrzH5.jpg

Edited by Denatured
  • Like 7

Interesting. Why would I use a soda can stove over a cooking pot or posing a stick over a fire??

Related, a stick uses no inventory space and a cooking pot combo actually generates 2 extra slots.

Related, a stick uses no inventory space

Not totally true. There's a cost to keeping a stick on your back: you can't keep another melee item there ;) Unless of course you're trying to say, "Why carry one at all when you can just cut one down wherever you are?" which is absolutely true.

OP: You'll need a stronger argument for this to be included I think (given the alternatives), but it is very interesting. I applaud you for going the extra mile and modeling it for us! :)

Edited by Tatanko

Exactly. Even with loot spawning turned off you can find them everywhere.

Having made a few of these myself i can attest that they require a wind barrier if you want to boil water or try to heat anything with them. Indoors would be ideal but outside you would absolutely have to craft something to block the wind otherwise they dont work nearly as well.

Side note. Placing two stoves under a us mil mess tin with 1 liter of water will boil water in about a minute (indoors). Outdoors with a wind, they run out of fuel before the water boils. (As far as my experiences go with using methyl hydrate as fuel)

Edited by cash81
  • Like 1

Interesting. Why would I use a soda can stove over a cooking pot or posing a stick over a fire??

Related, a stick uses no inventory space and a cooking pot combo actually generates 2 extra slots.

Maybe Im missing your point. This is a source of fire. rather than having to go through the steps of making a fire the traditional ways(crafting a fire kit,finding stove+fuel), this would be faster if you had the materials on hand. just like any other fire source, you would still need cooking implements(stick,pan,pot). I meant it to be a "addition", not to replace anything.I dont think it would be exaclty useless, and all of the materials to craft it are already in game.

Edited by Denatured

Having made a few of these myself i can attest that they require a wind barrier if you want to boil water or try to heat anything with them. Indoors would be ideal but outside you would absolutely have to craft something to block the wind otherwise they dont work nearly as well.

Side note. Placing two stoves under a us mil mess tin with 1 liter of water will boil water in about a minute (indoors). Outdoors with a wind, they run out of fuel before the water boils. (As far as my experiences go with using methyl hydrate as fuel)

Yes using them indoors is exactly what I envisioned doing with these. If you have a cooking implement(stick,pan,pot) but not rags and dont want to venture out(possibly giving away your position), you can use your soda can stove+fuel. It would be like the current gas stove+fuel, but take up one less slot.

I've used (and still occasionally use) these IRL, and while they are handy for backpacking (I use denatured alcohol), they require a few minutes of work to make, as well as a few tools. While I am not saying they are impossible or even that difficult to make in a survival situation, 99/100 times I would just start a fire as opposed to making one of these. 

A fire can be used for heat. These really can't.

A fire can be used to cook, with many different methods. These can boil water.

A fire can be lit in any environment, in any weather. These REQUIRE a windbreak.

A fire can be used to help in crafting other tools. These can't.

A fire can be used for light or signalling. These can't.

So, useful in real life, but only if you were already ultralighting.

Maybe Im missing your point. This is a source of fire. rather than having to go through the steps of making a fire the traditional ways(crafting a fire kit,finding stove+fuel), this would be faster if you had the materials on hand. just like any other fire source, you would still need cooking implements(stick,pan,pot). I meant it to be a "addition", not to replace anything.I dont think it would be exaclty useless, and all of the materials to craft it are already in game.

You would have to have a pristine cutting edge as well. If you use anything but a really sharp knife, or razor, or exacto blade, youll probably ruin your cut. They arent terribly hard to make but if you tear it then all your gas escapes the sides and not burn where you need it.

Its a neat idea but youd still need 1 slot for the stove, 1 slot for the fuel and 1 slot for the matches. Doesnt really save you any room and its a less effective way to cook/boil water because they really dont burn for very long (a big one i made burned for 3 minutes) thats not long enough to cook food safely. Boil some water, sure. So maybe as another method of purifying water if you dont have tablets or any other source to make fire. But with the oak bark and fire bow methods now implemented, the hobo stove seems kinda redundant. But still neat to see it in game if the devs decide to give it a go :)

Edit: mobile keyboard spelling errors

Edited by cash81

You would have to have a pristine cutting edge as well. If you use anything but a really sharp knife, or razor, or exacto blade, youll probably ruin your cut. They arent terribly hard to make but if you tear it then all your gas escapes the sides and not burn where you need it.

Its a neat idea but youd still need 1 slot for the stove, 1 slot for the fuel and 1 slot for the matches. Doesnt really save you any room and its a less effective way to cook/boil water because they really dont burn for very long (a big one i made burned for 3 minutes) thats not long enough to cook food safely. Boil some water, sure. So maybe as another method of purifying water if you dont have tablets or any other source to make fire. But with the oak bark and fire bow methods now implemented, the hobo stoce seems kinda redundant. But still neat to see it in game if the devs decide to give it a go :)

Yeah, now firemaking is trivial , considering how you can make the actual hand-drill in seconds so long as you have the materials, and the actual fire-lighting is instantaneous so long as you succeed.

In my opinion, the hand-drill should take a little while to make (you have to at least whittle a notch and bowl into the board), and the fire-lighting process should take a few minutes. Also, the hand-drill should not get destroyed with one use. 

The hand-drill is the most labor-intensive and least-efficient means of primitive fire-lighting. (AKA the "bottom tier")

I would like to eventually see a bow-drill (as the "middle" level)

Or even a pump-drill (as the "top of the line" in primitive fire-lighting)

The pump-drill also can be used as a .... well, a drill, and as such, could be used to make more "effective" primitive tools, like backpack frames and holes in spars for lashing.