Schweinsteiger

Has the Shotgun been Buffed or Nerfed Recently?

Hey guys,

A buddy and I are debating the power of both shotguns in the game. He was hit eight times recently and did not die. His legs were broken, that was the worst of it. We both remember the shotty getting nerfed, then buffed to the point that it was literally knocking trees over.

Can someone provide some real evidence that both or one shot gun has been nerfed again? Is the MP-133 more or less powerful then the double barreled shotty? Is the sawed off less powerful (talking about up close and personal, within 15 feet or so)?

We're gonna do a test in about an hour to see what happens. The control will be my buddy without any clothing on. I'll shoot him at different ranges, starting off close-in, within five feet to start, then progressively longer distances.

Thanks,

-Schweinsteiger.

i know i tested the mp-133 long version on a friend full health wasn't healthy shot him from 50 or so meters killed with one hit wasn't in the face.i havn't tested it the new update can't find any shells and its hard to keep lookin when you find so many 75rnd drums for AK, they need to quit nerfing the damn shotguns they are supposed to be powerful they have there limits to and for me to have to close range gaps and flank just to not kill in at least 2 shots is ridiculous for some reason video games always never get shotguns right or very true to life i guess there would be to many tears if it was the like its real life variant when it comes to damage. hell i bet the damn SVD kills with one hit though its rare so are shotgun shells it seems to me at least i can't fuckin find any.

Edited by gannon46
  • Like 3

In my experience the shotguns in DayZ are closer to the real deal than the "hug guns" in other games. In 0.57 stable I only tested one on zombies and found it to be lethal at 50-100 meters. It's still somewhat random as the shotguns are quite inaccurate (authentic) and the pellets can go wide at times. Still being hit by one pellet should be comparable to getting shot by a Makarov or PM73 RAK.

Now shotguns have a history of bugs. People could auto-fire them (maybe a cheat) and often they would give you ghost shots that played the sound and caused recoil but did not fire the projectiles. Then at some point pellets did not work and only one was fired. The devs responded with a temporary "fix" simply increasing the one pellets damage by... a lot I guess. When pellets were actually fixed this was still ingame so for a short time firing a shotgun would result in a "cone of death". Then they toned down the damage but something went wrong causing shotguns to break legs, ruin clothes but not actually damaging the target player (there are videos about this, probably desync related).

• Like 2

-snip-

I would like to debate your point that "shotguns are quite inaccurate". Now, it depends on shot load and choke, but you can easily hit a softball-sized target 30-40 meters away with plenty of buckshot.

Compare these shots.

That 40-yard shot would be deadly, quite easily.

Buckshot "deals damage" rather like a pistol round (12g #00 is 9 balls of 8.38mm, essentially a 9mm round), the only thing is, there is a lot more of them. Take 9 (or even 5-6 9mm rounds to the chest all at once, and you will be hurting pretty bad at the very least

• Like 1

I've seen shells in deer stands if that helps.

For some reason the SA hates the shotguns.

This is slightly irrelevant, but I don't think any individual weapons should be 'nerfed' or 'buffed' in order to fit better into the game; if they plan on adding it to the game then it should act like it does in real life or at least as it's represented in the game. The advantages and disadvantages should come like they do in real life and some better systems might be necessary to create it - if they add a machine gun then you'll use up stamina quicker and move slower, but it'll still be just as powerful as a rifle shooting the same caliber. An M4A1 with fully tricked out attachments will probably decrease your dexterity because of how much heavier it is, but would still be a viable rifle.

Where the "balancing" should come in is with loot spawns - some liberties need to be taken there, because if we were going for full spawn realism then AKs would probably be the most common guns in the game, and no, I don't think that would be good. AKs should still be among the more common military weapons, but in comparison to civilian handguns, rifles, shotguns, and other weapons, they should still be considerably rarer. If they decide to add machine guns or directed explosive weapons like the PKM and RPG-7, even though in real life there could be just as many of those as AKs, they'd obviously have to be among the rarest weapons just because they're powerful. But that doesn't mean nerf the PKM and make it deal less damage than other 7.62x54mmR guns or be less accurate than it should be.

Granted, the terminology of 'nerf' and 'buff' seems to really just imply adjustments to damage and the different stats, which obviously do need to be done (many of the guns aren't where they could/should be performing.)

• Like 4

Okay,

Good post Chaingunfighter, I agree.

I found a MP-133 in .57 up at the apartments above Cherno. I came across a victim very quickly (low road of the apartments near the tan two-story house, Humvee on the left with another car). I shot the dude six times and all I managed to do was break his legs.

I pulled out my Mosin and ended his life with a single shot to the head. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the shot guns unless their damage model is fixed or all you intend to do to another player is break their legs. Besides that, they're worthless.

Okay,

Good post Chaingunfighter, I agree.

I found a MP-133 in .57 up at the apartments above Cherno. I came across a victim very quickly (low road of the apartments near the tan two-story house, Humvee on the left with another car). I shot the dude six times and all I managed to do was break his legs.

I pulled out my Mosin and ended his life with a single shot to the head. Personally, I wouldn't bother with the shot guns unless their damage model is fixed or all you intend to do to another player is break their legs. Besides that, they're worthless.

Weird. I was using the MP-133 just yesterday, in a little tussle in Elektro. Got two scalps before eating it, both from respectable (probably 20+ meters, both "up-hill"). I saw blood spurt from all parts of their body (assuming from the pellets striking different areas), and each kill = one shell.

• Like 1

Weird. I was using the MP-133 just yesterday, in a little tussle in Elektro. Got two scalps before eating it, both from respectable (probably 20+ meters, both "up-hill"). I saw blood spurt from all parts of their body (assuming from the pellets striking different areas), and each kill = one shell.

That's just bizarre. Before .57 I was killing people very easily with both of the shotguns. A friend told me they were garbage and said a guy shot him eight times and all it managed to do was break his legs. He sent me some links to YouTube videos to prove his point, problem was, all the videos were six months old or more. That's the reason I decided to test the shotguns in .57. I'm not sure why we're all getting different results with the MP-133?