FlimFlamm

Aircraft: What kinds would you like to see? Share your opinion!

Select the kinds of aircraft you would like to see (multiple selections encouraged)  

71 members have voted

1. 1. Select all the types of aircraft you want to see in DayZ

• Full blown military helicopters with mounted 50 cal or m134 door gunners
    • Full blown military planes with halo jumping capability and possibly a rear 50 cal
    • Civilian helicopters with doors which passengers can shoot their guns from, or drop grenades
    • Civilian planes, grenading capability?
    • Large civilian helicopters capable of carrying many passengers
    • Large civilian planes capable of carrying many passengers
    • Light civilian helicopters, limited passenger capacity (4-6)
    • Light civilian planes, limited passenger capacity (4-6)
    • Ultralight helicopters, passenger capacity (1-2)
    • Ulralight planes, pasenger capacity (1-2)
    • Constructable Ultralight aircraft, capacity (1-2)

I've always wanted a plane is this game but if I'm getting a plane or any type of aerial transport, I want a big explosion when it falls to the ground when a bandit strikes it with a pkm.

I've always wanted a plane is this game but if I'm getting a plane or any type of aerial transport, I want a big explosion when it falls to the ground when a bandit strikes it with a pkm.

I'm a big fan of planes too. I just love landing them right in the faces of all my friends who try to tell me that Chernarus doesn't have many landing sites. Then if someone should steal your plane, you get to laugh and watch as they predictably crash and burn on take off, not knowing minimum airspeeds or how to use flaps :)

Katana asked me earlier for suggestions on the flight model, but I neglected to go into detail, so here I will.

First of all I've never flown a realistically simulated or real chopper, So I cannot say much about how to make helicopters more realistic to fly besides the removal of auto hover.

Some of these elements will apply to helicopters, but be aware some of them might only apply to planes:

Weight limits. When your aircraft is heavy, the engine needs to work harder to accelerate you during takeoff, meaning you need a longer runway and you will have a higher minimum airspeed. If you have too much weight, then you simply will not achieve the necessary speeds required for lift. (applies to helis in climbing speed (which gives acceleration) and max weight)

Wind is the next most obvious thing to simulate. There is already supposedly a wind function in game so perhaps it is robust enough to provide cross winds and turbulence for aircraft.

Trim. Decent plants will have the ability to trim their wings and elevators in order to achieve straight flight in the face of unequal forces causing the plane to veer to one side. Different planes require different types of trim and amounts of trim at different speeds. It is the mark of a good pilot that they can achieve hands free straight flight by using the correct throttle and trim settings. A pilot who can trim properly saves a great deal of energy because they do not have to constantly keep pressure on the control stick. In helicopters this can be reflected by requiring to balance the blades of a helicopter yourself each time one is constructed or repaired (This means that you need to fiddle with some rotor controls in order to make it so that you hover in place when your control stick is released and your heli is flat/balanced.)

Tail spins/engine failures, autorotation. Different aircraft crash differently, but generally something typical can go wrong with them. A plane can go into a tail spin for many reasons, usually the result of a climbing stall or a poor turn, the plane becomes uncontrollable and spins violently toward the ground. Recovering from a tail spin can be slightly different for different kinds of planes, but generally there is a procedure to do it involving correct application of elevator, rudder, and ailerons. Players will need to learn these sorts of procedures or they will constantly risk death and destruction. Helicopters experience this kind of catastrophe when their engines fail. You might think that a heli would be utterly fucked but there is a trick that can be done if the pilot is quick thinking. They can basically use what few seconds of control they have to maneuver the heli into a position that will make if act like a gyro copter, forward and downward motion will force air up through the rotors, and the rotors will spin in response, creating a parachute like effect. Pilots who master this will be able to safely land helicopters should their engines fail or become damaged.

There are a bunch of other little things that can be added as well. For example, fly too high and your engine can stall due to oxygen thinness. Pull a turn with too many G forces and you can black out. Pull a turn with too many G forces and your plane can break apart. pilot requires warm pilot style clothing or else they will get very cold in anything open. Minimum airspeeds can be calculated based on engine strength, wing size/type, and aircraft weight, giving pilots the responsibility to calculate where and where they cannot land or takeoff.

There is a bunch more that I'm sure I will think of, but this would be a nice start.

force manual rudder input/turn coordination like a proper flight sim.

• Like 1

manual rudder input is something that would isntantly be a boon. On arma often times i had to fight the auto rudder just to perform my sweet aireal manuvers like flying (and landing backwards, no hyperbole). flips, rolls, and turns....

I want it to be as flight sim like as possible.

I look forward to the inclusion of aircraft in DayZ. I think they should mostly be small helicopters and small planes. Because you would want to be able to fly, but not burn a lot of fuel doing it. Being able to fly at all is a boost in mobility in and of itself.

I don't think flying should be difficult. This is a game after all. Not a pissing contest. We are dealing with a mouse and keyboard, not actual flight controls. I think it's safe to say that most of us want to have fun playing DayZ.

As it is now, it's already difficult to find vehicles in DayZ. And I know for the most part it's because the game is still in early development.

What bothers me about threads that focus on specific features is that more often then not the OP almost always has an idea of how to limit the feature in a way that just so happens to suit their play style. Which is fine if they're the only ones on planet earth playing DayZ. But, since they're not. More views have to be taken into account.

We're all here to share our ideas and experiences. But, please don't whine if the feature you're hoping for isn't implemented the way you want it to be. DayZ should be entertaining for everyone who plays. Just saying.

• Like 1

I look forward to the inclusion of aircraft in DayZ. I think they should mostly be small helicopters and small planes. Because you would want to be able to fly, but not burn a lot of fuel doing it. Being able to fly at all is a boost in mobility in and of itself.

I don't think flying should be difficult. This is a game after all. Not a pissing contest. We are dealing with a mouse and keyboard, not actual flight controls. I think it's safe to say that most of us want to have fun playing DayZ.

As it is now, it's already difficult to find vehicles in DayZ. And I know for the most part it's because the game is still in early development.

What bothers me about threads that focus on specific features is that more often then not the OP almost always has an idea of how to limit the feature in a way that just so happens to suit their play style. Which is fine if they're the only ones on planet earth playing DayZ. But, since they're not. More views have to be taken into account.

We're all here to share our ideas and experiences. But, please don't whine if the feature you're hoping for isn't implemented the way you want it to be. DayZ should be entertaining for everyone who plays. Just saying.

I understand where you're coming from but imagine playing your favorite arcade game only on easy mode.

The reason why I want flight to be realistic and therefore complex and more difficult is because I want to spend a lot of time learning about it. It keeps me entertained. Games are to entertain afterall. It's very cool when I can reak wikipedia about aerial manuvers and then perform them in game. In Arma 2 for example, the procedure for executing a loop in a plane was exactly the procedure that real life planes use (involving reduced throttle after the apex). That might seem like something small but it really makes the game feel much more immersive and real.

Some people call DayZ a simulator, loosely. Simulators are the kind of game that strives to be indepth and in this case quasi realistic. The game that 'everyone' can enjoy is call of duty or something. That's an easy game though.

Edited by FlimFlamm

FlimFlamm,

Oh yea, I definitely think there should be a learning curve for flying. As long as I don't have to buy a special controller to fly with reasonable control. I'm being overly cautious about it because I've played games where the controls were extremely sensitive and hard to gauge. Considering that vehicles, ground or flying, will be difficult to find anyway. I'm hoping that when I do find one I'll be able to learn to control it over a couple months of use. After all, I'm trying to play a game, not take flying lessons.

• Like 1

FlimFlamm,

Oh yea, I definitely think there should be a learning curve for flying. As long as I don't have to buy a special controller to fly with reasonable control. I'm being overly cautious about it because I've played games where the controls were extremely sensitive and hard to gauge. Considering that vehicles, ground or flying, will be difficult to find anyway. I'm hoping that when I do find one I'll be able to learn to control it over a couple months of use. After all, I'm trying to play a game, not take flying lessons.

one of the unique things about simulators though, if you spend a few months flying in one it would help you out should you try to do so in real life! :)

one of the unique things about simulators though, if you spend a few months flying in one it would help you out should you try to do so in real life! :)

That's what I hear. You've got my beans.

this is wierd :/ is not a choise .

I want to army héli like little bird not more carry 5-6 (dep the weigth ^^ )

only that is enough :D