Sign in to follow this  
EddyBalboa

The Forest and dugouts!

Hello Dayz Standalone community!

Can anyone answer on my question: why no digouts or basements in the game? i mean really - under earth line? 

Because it will be so great - to enter in some abandoned home and search not only on first level but in basement too. Or try to digout in forests and make camps under earth. Is it engine restrictions that they cant really solve?

And why they dont add mushrooms that we can grab on earth, or birds and we can catch and eat em?

EVERY ANSWER WITH: because its alpha blablabla go to hell buddy.

Edited by EddyBalboa

Can anyone answer on my question: why no digouts or basements in the game? i mean really - under earth line? 

Because it will be so great - to enter in some abandoned home and search not only on first level but in basement too. Or try to digout in forests and make camps under earth. Is it engine restrictions that they cant really solve?

And why they dont add mushrooms that we can grab on earth, or birds and we can catch and eat em?

1) The game isn't even close to being finished yet, and I believe the engine cannot handle underground things.

1) The game isn't even close to being finished yet, and I believe the engine cannot handle underground things.

but if you remember dayz mod map island with cold weather (forget the name) has big basement science base. And dayz mod is on arma 2 old engine.

Go visit the northern most military base (north of Severo) there are 3 bunkers/sewer you can go down into

Those aren't truly underground.  The terrain under them is lowered to fit the bunkers, and there's usually a 'plate' over it to act as artificial terrain.  They do this kind of trick a lot with games that can't 'break ground' (Such as Second Life)

but if you remember dayz mod map island with cold weather (forget the name) has big basement science base. And dayz mod is on arma 2 old engine.

I don't remember that base in detail, but it may have been the same as what I said above.

That said, I think a video of VSB was shown with them putting in a sewer or some other sort of underground access.  Keep in mind not everything done with VSB can be down with the Arma or DayZ engines.  It may be possible in the future for them to do so, but I would say as of right now it's an engine limitation.  I would say it's safe to say it's something they want to do, they just can't yet with current limitations.  Keep in mind they're changing/modding the engine constantly to make it it's own.

For us to be able to actively change the terrain, IE dig ditches or mound up dirt, I don't think they'll ever allow it.

• Like 2

Every answer is "...because it's an alpha" but that's because it is an alpha.  

Also, I remember Rocket saying something a few years back about how there was a possibility of going underground to build but that would require links like you got in world of warcraft, where when you travelled to another place, you were changing servers, or something like that.

Edited by Sula
  • Like 2

Every answer is "...because it's and alpha" but that's because it is an alpha.

Also, I remember Rocket saying something a few years back about how there was a possibility of going underground to build but that would require links like you got in world of warcraft, where when you travelled to another place, you were changing servers, or something like that.

I remember this too, he compared it to separate instances in skyrim, where you walk through a door to a house and get a loading screen, and then can be loaded into the underground base separate from the main world

Think that idea has been scrapped though

Engine doesn't support it. You will notice any "caves" or other underground locations are done by using rocks or structures that cover the "underground" location. The ground surface is single sheet of ground which is raised or depressed. Nothing exists under it. If you have ever fallen through it you can see this clearly.

• Like 1

I remember this too, he compared it to separate instances in skyrim, where you walk through a door to a house and get a loading screen, and then can be loaded into the underground base separate from the main world

Think that idea has been scrapped though

It's an interesting idea though, hopefully it gets revisited at some point, even if it's by the modding community.

there is a military base in the north above severograd that has a underground abandoned "bomb shelter" (not sure what to call it) it is around the base. but i do agree with someone else that said the game can't support underground structures.

it does not spawn anything however.

Edited by twr

I fully realize the current engine can't support it but once everything is fully migrated to new engine will this be possible or still no?

okey i ve been underground today (near Severograd) and this basement is scewer actually and is kinda okey but dont perfect. Im surprised why not much of this structures scattered around the map. Cose its scewer you know.

Because at this point none of the models (except for the bunkers and the buildings above them) have a basement or access for a basement.  If/when they do that, either make building models with basements or modify existing ones, they'll still need to dig the terrain underneath it, make sure everything fits correctly and that there's no holes for a player to fall through and get stuck under the building.

Always thought it was strange no one in chernarus owns a house with a basement... Property tax implications maybe?