11tw

revamp feet damage

Right now, if you run without shoes or with ruined shoes you lose health as your run/walk down to 1000 health.

I feel that this isn't an accurate portrayal. Foot damage should get its own set of statuses which have negative effects on other things.

So:

Sore Feet - caused by prolonged walking, no negative effects, can be cured by resting / washing feet

Light Blisters - caused by prolonged walking, no negative effects, can be cured by using a plaster (new item)

Blisters - caused by prolonged walking, causes walking and running to slow down slightly

Heavy Blisters - caused by prolonged walking, causes walking and running to slow significantly

Foot Trauma - caused by prolonged walking, cannot run, heals over time, risk of infection (infection can be prevented with tincture/bandages)

Heavy Foot Trauma - causes heavy limping, can be reverted to foot trauma with tincture and bandages, risk of infection

But how would these be dealt out? Well, all footwear (and possibly socks if they were added as well) should have a Walking Comfort Value. This would be lowest for the starting shoes (which look pretty flimsy) and highest for the Jungle Boots etc.

As you walk, your feet take Foot Damage equal to the following equation;

FDMG = Terrain Roughness Value / Foot Comfort Value

with Terrain Roughness being determined by the texture of the surface (grass being the kindest, woodland being okay, stones being the worst).

Now these would all only occur in extreme cases, and the most common ones would be the least damaging, so I don't think it would make the game much harder. It would just add another dimension and replace the slightly bizarre system we currently have.

The system could be tiered, so that FDMG can never exceed a certain amount unless you are literally walking on shards of glass (or that sort of thing), limiting the Heavy Foot Trauma to people who run through a place with something that would tear up your feet. 

• Like 5

Come on!

"Come meet me in Electro"

"Can't"

"Why?"

"My feet are messed up"

Sounds interesting. However, it might depend on whatever the devs want to do with the damage system (they cannot just leave it as is -> "bone condition"). With limping etc. this might work pretty well. The proposed system seems quite authentic at first glance but it might end up using quite some resources (maybe not).

Ideally it would be a well balanced system that rewarded careful use of appropriate footwear, and encouraged use of vehicles such as the truck, and later the bike (or the horse... but then you have issues of the horses' feet degrading, and you need to reshoe them...)

Overall I think the feet system needs a better interpretation with certain footwear, like not all footwear is gonna be comfortable to wear over long periods. Wellies for example will keep you feet dry almost 100% of the time (in lets say ankle deep water) but they can cause you feet to be very uncomfortable after a length of time. Certain Military boots can also be uncomfortable to wear and increase the chance of blisters after a length of time.

I don't think it should be to an extent of what you have though, for example I'm fine with getting blisters (which lead to an infection if left untreated). Foot Trauma should be based on fall damage or damage done to the feet by direct physical force and not simply by running.

I actually really like this. I think that from light blisters onwards there should be a minuscule chance of infection (increasing with each level). Would encourage proper footwear as well, perhaps balancing shoes that might be stealthy (athletic shoes) with good all-round shoes (combat boots). Perhaps having wet shoes could accelerate foot damage and increase the chance of infection.

• Like 1

i was one those who supported survival aspect get more focus if you ever read my posts and i for sure support the idea, it can be a pain in the ars but also a fun addition if it gets designed properly .

well, they (devs) have plan to re-work damage system but it won't be anytime soon because first  (for sure) need new character system (which consist of new animation system for players, new inventory system, new controls and maybe more(?)) in place which also isn't a simple task and it will take a great time to get implemented.

Edited by VahidkinG

I'm all for a even rougher Chernarus! This would ofcorse add a new survival element which DayZ is supposed to have a lot of. If this gets implomented we will have thousands of complaining PvP-only players. But maybe it's worth that. Beans to you my friend since I'm to tired to discus this further ;)