Vipeax

DayZ Maintenance ~ Should be functional again

Cant decide if i should wait for the maintenance to complete or just take bath salts and walk outside.

not so sure' date=' bunch of euro servers sticking players at character creation, or is this just a load issue. correct as of 15.23 GMT

[/quote']

Servers not back up until 4pm GMT and it's only 12pm GMT so 4 more hours

What happened this morning was me (before that it was Ander, but he was even more exhausted than I was, or rather: I hit the bed at 7 PM and he stayed a bit longer so I could take it back over later :P) manually keeping it under control whenever it was dying again. We needed to get away from that ==> maintenance. During that time you could play just fine for a while and then all of sudden it would all desync big time.

OH and something I forgot to report. Yesterday during the DDoS attacks, when the serv ers were back up for a short time, I died several times, but when I respawned I was back to just before where I died and still had all my equipment.....

That's part of it Irenicus, with latencies of 4000 ms or no response at all your updates wouldn't register.

What happened this morning was me (before that it was Ander' date=' but he was even more exhausted than I was, or rather: I hit the bed at 7 PM and he stayed a bit longer so I could take it back over later :P) manually keeping it under control whenever it was dying again. We needed to get away from that ==> maintenance. During that time you could play just fine for a while and then all of sudden it would all desync big time.

[/quote']

I think that just answered my previous post :) Would make sense methinks yes?

Thanks for the updates Vipeax, keep up the good work mate cheers. All the best to the rest of the team and Rocket, we love you guys :)

But if they payed the DayZ team then they would start developing the game in a way that would sell more copies I think...I just hope that doesn't happen. I want this to be what it promises to be: a hardcore zombie apocalypse survival simulator

Trying to dumb it down to make it more popular would be a huge mistake.

This (Alpha) mod is hugely popular BECAUSE of how "hardcore" it is. That's what makes it stand out from everything else. Take that away and it's just one of 20 other zombie games. Because of DayZ, Arma 2 seems to be selling better than it ever did before, and there are more people playing this Alpha than are playing most full/complete retail games.

It's really a great example why developers should allow their games to be modded. I don't think a mod has created this many extra game sales since Counter-Strike.

OH and something I forgot to report. Yesterday during the DDoS attacks' date=' when the serv ers were back up for a short time, I died several times, but when I respawned I was back to just before where I died and still had all my equipment.....

[/quote']

I noticed this bug if you were killed or kill someone and it registers as friendly fire. When i see it i now just run away because its a waste of time and ammo to continue.

So was your server not ready for that many players requesting data or did someone throw requests at the server until a DDoS occured?

*Sigh* Why would you even DDoS an alpha mod? I mean, what enjoyment are you getting out of it? It's absolutely ridiculous what people will do if they get banned. You used a cheat/exploit, got banned, that should be the end of it. It's THEIR fault for using that cheat/exploit in the first place, I wish they could just fuck off, learn their lesson and if they really want back in, buy another key.

What happened this morning was me (before that it was Ander' date=' but he was even more exhausted than I was, or rather: I hit the bed at 7 PM and he stayed a bit longer so I could take it back over later :P) manually keeping it under control whenever it was dying again. We needed to get away from that ==> maintenance. During that time you could play just fine for a while and then all of sudden it would all desync big time.

[/quote']

A very big thank you! All that can be said.

If i could i would!

beer-bikini-babe.jpg

Does it matter?

Yes. DDoS is something outside of the control of the devs. Taking a server down for maintenance and then announcing a few hours after the fact that this has been done would have been rather poor form.

Given that the only communication from late last night to a bit less than two hours ago' date=' which clearly stated that the DDoS was over and everything was fine again, the assumption that the maintenance had been going on all day unannounced while everyone here has been trying to get on appears to be a fair one. It would have been poor form, had this been the case. As it turns out, the tweet last night was incorrect, and the attack was continuing.

They can take all the time they need. Remember, you are not a paying customer.

Thank you for your condescending attitude.

I do not need you to remind me of this. I'm simply saying that a bit of communication does not hurt. How many hours between the tweet last night and the announcement today?

Sadly hackers new and old probably look at a place like this as a vulnerable server. a way to test their hacking abilities. Unfortunately, it was done to brutal effect. However from what Vipeax has said the problem isnt so much that now as just takin an proverbial internet wrench to the game to fix up the kinks.

To everyone demanding faster and better communication from the devs:

Give them some space. They are not obliged to answer all your question immediately (or at all)

And please, compare the communication of the devs in this game with any other game.

I just don't get, how people can actually be so demanding of a game, that is free, developed by a single person, maintained by a few and in alpha stage. Seriously guys... get a grip on reality. Noone ows you anything. Especially not, when the communication actually is really good, even though it is not instant. Again, compare with other games you actually paid for.

To everyone involved in the development of this game: Please please don't listen to these fools. Just ignore them. People like that are found with any game out there. But they are not the majority of people nor the ones you should listen to.

I will see what I can arrange (= consult with Ander, and he just agreed with me so that's a yes) on resetting people who are placed of the map at this point. Mind you, this means beach spawns.

In other words:

We will move you.

There are plenty of ways, we will only move those who are off the map, don't worry it will all be fine.

Pretty much, si.

There are plenty of ways' date=' we will only move those who are off the map, don't worry it will all be fine.

[/quote']

wait so if i was exploring off the map maybe just past the border, would that reset me as well? :/