Towel-Tango

MERGED: Everything about DOGS

I like the title but you have the wrong idea:

Simplicity will keep the bandits in their place, and all it takes is one Left-Click.

Thank you very much for an awesome mod! A game like this hasn't kept my interest in a very long time.

The issue with the bandits can be resolved by utilizing the dogs. Dogs must be friendly towards survivors and hostile to bandits.

Dogs should roam either alone or in packs' date=' and not be restricted but allowed to roam freely any ware in the wasteland. That should make you think twice on becoming a bandit.

Shooting a dog should be the same penalty as shooting a survivor.

[/quote']

AGREED BUT.....

But then bandits get bears, and bears will attack survivors on sight but be friendly to bandits. Bears will roam in packs of 50-100 freely around the wasteland, and warp to any survivor currently viewing his inventory so he cannot fight back. Any survivor that has lived longer then 20 minutes will be attacked by bears instantly. Shooting a Bear will instantly kill you. This will make PVE EVEN BETTER, because E is basically awesome now. That will make people think twice about not becoming bandits.

I want dogs, period, with no bias to either bandits or survivors... More as an early warning device than anything else.

I want dogs' date=' period, with no bias to either bandits or survivors... More as an early warning device than anything else.

[/quote']

Dogs sniff out campers.

I'll agree to this ONLY if dogs also mark their territory and get into turf wars with zombies :D

I changed the name of this thread to reflect it's actual *suggestion*, which is dogs. Think very carefully before you post a reply... does your reply have anything to do with the subject, dogs in Dayz? If it doesn't DON'T REPLY.

I'm not going to babysit another thread that gets turned into yet another PVP/PVE sissy fight. There is ONE thread for that in the general discussion section. Use it. Those that don't will get their replies deleted. If I find myself deleting multiple replies from the same person(s) they are going to get warned and if it continues, banned.

STAY ON TOPIC

Was about to make a suggestion thread about implementing dogs and zombie dogs, good thing i did a search first :).

Anyway, i'd love to see dogs added to the game, friendly ones have to be extremely rare, because it should feel rewarding to find one and you actually create a bond with your furry companion because you can't simply replace it. You'd have to give it some food in order to have it follow you around and maybe you can even name it.

Possible actions/interactions:

- Protect you without being a zombie magnet

- Grab items without attracting to much attention from either zombies or players

- Alert you about surrounding dangers

- Skin changes depening on owners humanity? More hostile looking dogs for bandits etc..

Maybe even allow the zombies to ignore your pet unless provoked and only have zombie/infected dogs attack the pet and its owner.

Imagine the scene from 'I am Legend'... yeah..

Zombie dogs are pretty much a must in a 'Real' zombie game :P. Packs roaming the woods etc, stalking and following player trails..

These additions would make the game even more tense, thrilling and emotional.

I like the idea of a dog, but without the bandit concept you mentioned. What if dogs barked at the site of ANY player, making zombies come running? How tense would that be?

I would love to see romaing packs of wild dogs, but they should attack everyone, including zeds and docile animals.

I'd like a dog.

He could protect me, warn me with a growl if a zombie is near or if he has picked up the sent of another survivor/bandit in the vicinity. I wouldnt use him as zombie bait when I play fetch (much) even though Im sure he could out run them.

He would help keep me warn and safe on cold nights in the forest. I would take him hunting for rabbits and let him eat what he catches.

He would lead me to fresh corpses and let me keep what I find. I would share my beans and sardines with him to keep him nourished.

I could place trust in him, He would have my back and I would have his.

I'd call him Zed, my best friend in the apocalypse.

(I wouldn't eat him)

Not sure if anyone has said this, but I did not find it. We seem to have the animations for the dogs, a simple texture edit (even I could do this) and you got yourself a higher intensity, scarier level of fear.

Not to mention, they would be great for stalking you with smell and noise. Not too many, just a few randomly through the game just to keep the players on their toes?

Don't need zombie dogs. Wild dogs would make sense. After all, what would happen to all of the dogs that lost their owners? They would go feral and travel in packs in the abandoned city streets.

I Suggest using search next time as there is already a thread about the suggetion of adding dogs to the game, even older than the one posted above.

http://www.dayzmod.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=1536

Was about to make a suggestion thread about implementing dogs and zombie dogs, good thing i did a search first :).

Anyway, i'd love to see dogs added to the game, friendly ones have to be extremely rare, because it should feel rewarding to find one and you actually create a bond with your furry companion because you can't simply replace it. You'd have to give it some food in order to have it follow you around and maybe you can even name it.

Possible actions/interactions:

- Protect you without being a zombie magnet

- Grab items without attracting to much attention from either zombies or players

- Alert you about surrounding dangers

- Skin changes depening on owners humanity? More hostile looking dogs for bandits etc..

Maybe even allow the zombies to ignore your pet unless provoked and only have zombie/infected dogs attack the pet and its owner.

Imagine the scene from 'I am Legend'... yeah..

Zombie dogs are pretty much a must in a 'Real' zombie game :P. Packs roaming the woods etc, stalking and following player trails..

These additions would make the game even more tense, thrilling and emotional.

Hmmmm i like the idea. It wouldn't take away realism if it's well implemented. I suppose you d have to train the dog first, or at least have to give him some of your food to have it by your side and follow you.

But what about zombie dogs then? :p

Zombie dogs was suggested just after I posted this thread. I dont see it working though, it wouldnt fit with the virus/story. A virus is pretty host specific.

Wild dogs though would work as it could be those that are tamed. Once tamed you could throw a stick for them (flush them zombies out), you will have to keep feeding them though and in return they offer slight protection, advanced warnings in the form of a growl when zeds/survivors/bandits are near.

Needs to be simple though, if too complex and it could turn into a tamagotchi shit fest.

Well i still think dogs woud be a great addition :(

I found a boar once. Friendly little guy. Didn't charge or try to gore me, like boars are wont to do.

Nope, he just snuffled around, trying to forage for food. I didn't eat him.(Didn't have a knife...)