Sign in to follow this  
Aquanoise

Idea about landmines

Today i found a mine at vybor military base, i placed and armed it in front of a barracks building. The mine was barely visible in the grass. When i came back 30 minutes later the landmine was gone and there was a dead (and looted) dead body at the barracks door and it got me thinking.

That guy got instantly killed by something he couldn't have seen and i didn't have to do anything to detonate the mind.

I think this is very unfair because if i was surviving for a long time and i got instantly killed by a landmine i would feel cheated.

You could say that the chance of this happening to you is very small because the mines are rare, but it does happen and that's what matters.

So i have got some ideas that might work to make the landmine less powerfull:

1. Make them more visible (maybe make the tip orange?)

2. Make the mines less lethal (no instant kill)

3. Make the mines have a 3 sec countdown before detonating

What do you guys think of this idea?

They are suppose to look hidden, no one is just going to step on a landmine on purpose, hopefully they will make players think more cautiously.

i think they are fine the way they are.

and instant death should be a yes, or at least live for a few seconds and see your character dying of shell shock and bleed out.

• Like 3

the best thing about Landmines, is when you pick them up and hold them in your hands. 

post-217095-0-03162700-1429294702_thumb.

Edited by Holyoak

The worst thing there is no real purpose for them.

They are probably supposed to be used to guard player guild (clan) camps/bases. But instead people will just place them in random places to blow someone up "for teh lulz". Even if player who placed the mine player on another server since long ago, the mine will stay, waiting for an innocent victim, to kill it without a reason. I think this is a bad design for online game with a permadeath.

I think mines should be removed from game until later - until players can be the clan base / fort.

• Like 1

The worst thing there is no real purpose for them.

They are probably supposed to be used to guard player guild (clan) camps/bases. But instead people will just place them in random places to blow someone up "for teh lulz". Even if player who placed the mine player on another server since long ago, the mine will stay, waiting for an innocent victim, to kill it without a reason. I think this is a bad design for online game with a permadeath.

I think mines should be removed from game until later - until players can be the clan base / fort.

One purpos would be to secure paths where somebody might creep up on you when you are in a fixed position. For example setting up a mine at the end of the ladder of tripple yellow so you don't have to worry about anybody coming up to harrass you while you're sniping bambis. I think this is what they were implemented for since you would need lots of mines to secure an entire camp.

To make it clear: I don't think this is a good purpose, but anybody can play the game how they want, as long as they aren't hackers or abusing glitches.

But in the end they are just another way to KOS, but the possibility of you stepping on a mine are way smaller then getting shot by someone who spots you before you spot him. 

Edited by HomerJay27
  • Like 1

Today i found a mine at vybor military base, i placed and armed it in front of a barracks building. The mine was barely visible in the grass. When i came back 30 minutes later the landmine was gone and there was a dead (and looted) dead body at the barracks door and it got me thinking.

That guy got instantly killed by something he couldn't have seen and i didn't have to do anything to detonate the mind.

I think this is very unfair because if i was surviving for a long time and i got instantly killed by a landmine i would feel cheated.

You could say that the chance of this happening to you is very small because the mines are rare, but it does happen and that's what matters.

So i have got some ideas that might work to make the landmine less powerfull:

1. Make them more visible (maybe make the tip orange?)

2. Make the mines less lethal (no instant kill)

What do you guys think of this idea?

Then dont set them up if you think its unfair - you can bet allot of people will set them up just as you did along with the bear traps, I like the idea and im sure i will step on one that someone set up, such is life

What is funny is that they look rather similar to the Soviet-era PMN antipersonnel mine, and in fact, they probably ARE PMN antipersonnel mines, what with Chernarus being a post-soviet State and all. (EDIT: Read up on the DayZ Wiki. They are Soviet PMN-2 mines)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PMN_mine

Of course, this means that the mines are DRASTICALLY overpowered. Hilariously so. The PMN is a "blast mine" as opposed to a "fragmentation mine", meaning it deals damage through an explosion vs through .... well, fragmentation. Also, most  blast mines are deliberately designed to be relatively non-lethal, to cause severe injury instead of killing the target outright. This is so the targets comrades have to waste supplies, manpower and time taking care of him, when they could instead be fighting. 

Specifically, the PMN-class was designed to cause severe damage to the targets foot and leg, AKA the localized area around the mine. While it was rated "more powerful" (and more lethal) than similarly-sized US antipersonnel mines, it still wouldn't cause damage 15m away like it does in-game. Most of the force from the blast, as well as the small amount of shrapnel from the casing, are directed upwards (into the target), and downward (into the substrate), NOT laterally around the mine.

So, if they were realistic in any shape or fashion, they would be lethal to a single target, the one who triggered the mine. Not everyone around the target (Which is what happened to my clan-mates and I. We set up a mine for shits and giggles, and all of us within a 15m circle around the mine died when one guy tried to disarm it). They would be useful for "blocking off" doorways and paths, not for taking out vehicles and covering large sections of ground. That is what Anti-Tank (AT) and Fragmentation mines are for. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-personnel_mine

www.dtic.mil/cgi-bin/GetTRDoc?AD=ADA426229   

^ the above is a PDF desribing the effects of a PMN-class mine. Good read.

•  
Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 3

Landmines shouldn't be in the game.

• Like 4

Agree. At least until they introduce player base building. If they will ever introduce them. If not...please remove landmines.

I am really curious, how close do you have to be to the mine for it go off? Most mines in games dont really go too well with pressure based unless the model is exceptionally large. Most are proximity based in some regard. Would it be possible to defuse said landmine if you found an activated one by crawling towards it?

I am really curious, how close do you have to be to the mine for it go off? Most mines in games dont really go too well with pressure based unless the model is exceptionally large. Most are proximity based in some regard. Would it be possible to defuse said landmine if you found an activated one by crawling towards it?

Last time I activated a mine, I was about 2-3 feet away from it when it exploded in my face.

Yeah, because if the nice apocalyptic burlap wrap was removed because it was obsolete due to the ghillie wrap that only looks nice with a full ghillie, people argue against gold plated weapons that exist and are used by cartels/militias/terrorist leaders somehow

Then one would think that something designed to sit on the ground for forever to kill someone and ruin all the gear just because they wanted a laugh isn't necessary to the game right?

.56- Killstreaks added

Hollywood bullshit. Landmines don't have a countdown or a two step pressure plate. Once you step on one it's game over. I do think a better way to implement them is to create random minefields at bases where a player can risk trying to recover one for their own uses.

• Like 1

Hollywood bullshit. Landmines don't have a countdown or a two step pressure plate. Once you step on one it's game over. I do think a better way to implement them is to create random minefields at bases where a player can risk trying to recover one for their own uses.

This ^

In my mind there should be two ways to acquire a landmine. Either you deactivate a live one or find one in a Military location. I'm not sure how you'd "deactivate" a live landmine as most deactivation methods are simply to blow them up. But I do like that idea, that certain bases should have "minefield" to discourage players entering them from their flanks.

Some locations I can imagine a minefield existing are the following:

• Military Base near Veresnik
  • Military Camp near Myshkino
  • Military Base near Pavlovo
  • Military Base near Kamensk (I always imagine this location as being an old "abandonded" military facility and so I thought about having minefields that surrond the outer perimeter and that it was merely left to rot)
  • Like 1

This ^

In my mind there should be two ways to acquire a landmine. Either you deactivate a live one or find one in a Military location. I'm not sure how you'd "deactivate" a live landmine as most deactivation methods are simply to blow them up. But I do like that idea, that certain bases should have "minefield" to discourage players entering them from their flanks.

Some locations I can imagine a minefield existing are the following:

• Military Base near Veresnik
  • Military Camp near Myshkino
  • Military Base near Pavlovo
  • Military Base near Kamensk (I always imagine this location as being an old "abandonded" military facility and so I thought about having minefields that surrond the outer perimeter and that it was merely left to rot)

YES ALL OF THIS

If mines should spawn anywhere on the map, it should be in "minefields" around military bases. If you want that sweet, sweet military loot, you have to brave the minefield, THEN the zombies.

YES ALL OF THIS

If mines should spawn anywhere on the map, it should be in "minefields" around military bases. If you want that sweet, sweet military loot, you have to brave the minefield, THEN the zombies.

I don't think ALL of them should be having minefields but should be dynamic like helicopter crashes, where certain military locations have a chance to spawn minefields

MUST PROTECT REALISM!!!

Sorry, seeing as protecting realism is my MO at all times, you cannot nerf landmines. They cannot have an orange tip, because the people who make landmines are sneaky like that. A landmine which is visible is not good at its job. Then there's making them not insta-kill... then what would be the point? Ahah, my ingenious trap has... mildly inconvenienced my enemy. And now they have looted my base. And a 3 second delay... again why? Why would you do that when you were designing a mine? That would make the mechanism so much more difficult to make, and only serve to make the mine less useful.

Mines should be kept the way they are; the devs just need to make the call on how common they should be.

Personally, I prefer bear traps, as they are much more Walking Dead. Once they start to affect zombies and animals that will be awesome.

Landmines are ok with me as long as they are fairly rare (I don't think anyone wants to see them all over the place)

AND I hope there will be a way to disarm/re-arm them.

Can you throw something at them to set them off at a distance?

Im ok with a landmine field, as some military bases would have them around them. It would make braving the military bases more "adventurous" since you wouldnt be able to approach from ANY direction, like most people do. If you find a breech in a fence, you have to take the risk of braving a landmine, or two....or 5 :P Would make military zones MUCH more dangerous, and FORCE people to take more caution around them, like they should.

Reduce range of explosion, and allow throwing a rock at it to trigger it. And implement a rare drop defuse kit for those that want to steal them.