Dreganius (DayZ)

Weapon Russianization (WARNING: Big, detailed post)

I love that idea, i mean the signs and stuff are in Russian, and we are using Russian weapons sounds like an awesome idea. plus i'd love to use the mosin +1

Er, because the mod is in ALPHA and Chernarus was the best map for said ALPHA?

If you didn't get it yet, they could be making a new map for the Mod, set in South America or the USA or Switzerland for all we know. People are arguing that Chernarus was in a war, and this, that, and whatnot, as to why or why not NATO weapons should exist. We don't even know if Rocket wants to keep Chernarus, or develop his story in a different country. And most of all, they're taking the original post out of context.

The context was: IF THIS MOD REMAINS IN AN EX-SOVIET STATE, Soviet and Russian weaponry should be more common than NATO, British and US weaponry. I then offered a list of possible counterparts.

Now can we get on topic and stop going on about the location, please?

Definitely! This is a great idea,as it would turn Dayz people from a generic atmosphere to a more "vodka-and-fur-hats" one! Nice work for the research!

I do agree that carbines of the AK series should be implemented (AKS-74,AKS-47,AKS-74u and so on),but i think that the rest of the stuff you wrote is fine.

One little suggestion...what about the TT Tokarev? I'd love to loot it!

@ RovenKrest

Right on! This post while respectable for its thoroughness is a huge waste of time....

There are a lot of russian weapons already in game that can be swapped out. That is (I think) relatively easy for devs.

WHY THE HELL would you want to give the devs a task of creating new weapons many with of obscure ammo that would have to have all new ballistic properties re-written into an already robust engine.

They have bugs to work out first and with Arma 3 around the corner I don't think it is wise to spend time making guns that aren't going to be in the third's engine anyway.

"Welcome to a 225KM Post Soviet State..... CCCCCHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEE RRRRRRR NNNNNNNNN AAAAAA RRRR UUUUUUU SSSSSS"

@ RovenKrest

WHY THE HELL would you want to give the devs a task of creating new weapons

Read my OP. I said I'll be creating each weapon myself eventually and posting the results in this thread.

I... I just... "9K111 Fagot" *snickers*

On-topic; I feel that your concept for Weapon Russianization is good, but, there are already weapons that fit the bills for most (*most) of the roles you have mentioned.

For one, I'll start at the top of your list, and work my way down on the 'questionable' changes. Some of these weapons you suggest are already incorporated into the games files. Some you have a point with, but I don't know how the developers would feel about them.

PISTOLS:

PDW - Kedr PP-91 replacement.

I partially disagree with this because the Operation Arrowhead files include a Skorpion vz.61. I think that should be implemented over the PDW rather than the PP-91. It would be more readilly avalible in Chernarus.

LIGHT MACHINE GUNS:

M240 - KalashnikovPKM

M249 - Kalashnikov RPK-74

MK 48 - Degtyarov RPD

The ArmA 2 files already have the RPK and PK you mention replacing the M240 and M249 with. The MK-48 Mod 0 can be replaced with the Russian "Pecheneg" machinegun, which also already exists in the game's files. It's a far better equivalent, in my opinion.

SHOTGUNS:

M1014 - Saiga 12

While I partially agree with replacing the M1014, it would render the 8 rnd magazines Remington-only. I think we should *add* the Saiga rather than take away the M1014.

Winchester 1866

Despite what you say, the Winchester 1866 was popular because of it's preformance during the Ottoman-Russian war of the 1870's. It would have realistically been popular as a classic firearm in a place like Chernarus.

ASSAULT RIFLES

L85A2 AWS

I propose we replace this with the AK-74 GPK. It's a thermal-sight AK-74. Simple enough.

Lee Enfield

I suggest we keep it, and add the Mosin Nagant as a more common alternative.

M4A1

We keep 'em.

M16A2

Keep it.

M16A4 ACOG

We bring in the Vz.51 assault rifles to replace this with; the CCO variant and the ACOG variant as well as the wooden stock variant.

M16A2 M204

Keep it.

I'd go on to the sniper rifles, but I'm turning into a "keep it" guy.

Some of your changes sound like very good ideas. It's whether or not the devs would implement them or not that would cause a problem. Right now, there are few weapons that are third-party ported, and I, personally, would rather keep more of the original ArmA weapons.

You do realise his idea was not to replace the current selection, but to add Russian equivalents at higher drop rates alongside the current selection, right?

You do realise his idea was not to replace the current selection' date=' but to add Russian equivalents at higher drop rates alongside the current selection, right?

[/quote']

^ This. I understand that there are all sorts of reasons that NATO weaponry can be found in Chernarus. I'd merely like to see more Soviet/Russian weaponry.

We can argue about all the little details all we want. The main question I ask is: 'Do you want more Russian dakka or not?'

AK-47's should be everywhere. Not 74's, not AK-108's or whatever, the AK47. It is the most common assault rifle in the world, and in a former soviet satellite state, you would be hard pressed to find anything but.

AK-47's should be everywhere. Not 74's' date=' not AK-108's or whatever, the AK47. It is the most common assault rifle in the world, and in a former soviet satellite state, you would be hard pressed to find anything but.

[/quote']

there is no reason to implement outdated ak47 when you have better AKM already.

You do realise his idea was not to replace the current selection' date=' but to add Russian equivalents at higher drop rates alongside the current selection, right?

[/quote']

I actually want a lot of replacement going on. I apologize for not seeing the matter mentioned. Still, I feel that original ArmA gear should be implemented first (Vz-58, AK-74 gl, kobra, AK-107), and third party gear later when the game is more stable and the developers are 100% confident in how to work them in.

Besides, all of this work may be for nothing when it's all ported over to ArmA 3, which will feature weapon mods and different physics.

russian guns are so ugly ugh

A matter of opinion. I think Russian weapons are much prettier than the plastic guns the West issues their forces.

Go for it,it's absurd finding everywhere MP5 magazines and almost no AKs.

Russian weapons have that rustic look tht fits this game better.American weapons look too modern.

agree. this will make more sence the all the american wepons there is now. and add the mi 26 rusian helli. and add the mg 42 it a hell of a wepon and still prety common and is stil i production and the is a lot of them in ester europe

WHY THE HELL would you want to give the devs a task of creating new weapons many with of obscure ammo that would have to have all new ballistic properties re-written into an already robust engine.

The properties have already been worked out, you just have to find a weapons pack ( f.e. A.C.E. mod has a lot of said east bloc weapons ) and add it to the game. But as you said there are more important things like making the game flawless.

Best suggestion in this thread is to replace the Lee-Enfield with Mosin-Nagant.

Just think of the commonness of a british ww2 rifle in post soviet country... they arent common, but mosin-nagant will be.