Sign in to follow this  
Survivor1965

What do you think about the new update .55

I like it so far. Zombies are more threatening (they are killable even with your fists but every fight potentially weakens you for a long time which might get you killed eventually), loot is less abundant, you actually have to worry about your survival instead of finding everything you need within 10 minutes.

The two things that are very annoying with zombies is their runspeed (also true for players) and their pathfinding: If they see you entering a house they will know when the door on the other side is open and lose no time getting to you. In the end stronger zombies are more enjoyable and I would rather have them replaced with more aggressive L4D witches than going back to the mere nuisances of .54.

• Like 1

One issue I seem to be seeing is that with persistence enabled across all servers:

Over time as people pick through the loot and take the high value items while nobody takes certain items such as spanners or weapons cleaning kits and so items nobody wanted stay in the economy for a long time (I have no idea how long it takes to purge an area or if that even happens). The selection process continues with people picking only the useful items from the re-spawned loot and it the loot pool gets progressively more stacked with undesirable items, which somewhat defeats the purpose of the re-spawning loot mechanic.

I would imagine you can work around this by bagging up all the loot, moving it away and waiting for items to re-spawn (I've noticed people doing this at military loot sites before but it's not something I've tried personally, when I hit mil-loot I get in and get out as fast as is safely possible) but that seems time consuming and meta-gamish. I didn't like loot cycling on the mod either.

I do like that items are becoming rarer, that's definitely a step in the right direction, but there's definitely some tweaking to do still.

Edited by TheScruffyBandit
  • Like 1

.55 is the worst patch so far. I've played about 16 hours on it so far and I'm done until the next patch.

- Loot is crazy buggered on persistent and non persistent servers.

- I got one shot killed by a zombie when I had full health and a biker helmet on. My character was pretty fresh as well having maybe taken 5-6 hits in total over a couple hours.

- Zombies stand outside buildings while you're inside dealing damage to you.

- Zombies hit crazy fast, you can't hit them fast enough to not take damage and dealing them damage doesn't slow them down. They should react to being hit, sure there's a stumble animation they do which looks like they slow down for about 0.25 seconds. A grown man cleaving a zombie in the head with a pickaxe should drop it. The pickaxe would go through the skull no problem. No one is surviving that in real life. There's no skill involved with it all it's just tank them and hit them 5-6 times until they fall and replace all your destroyed gear.

- If you drive a V3S do it very carefully. If you crash them even slightly by say running over a zombie you'll ruin your boots and pants. I recommend putting your boots and pants in your backpack. I didn't have my legs broken but it might be worth bringing a splint/morphine.

- crash sites on persistent servers remain broken. non persistent seem to be good and the best source of gear at the moment. The 6-7 I found seemed to spawn appropriate items.

• Like 1

@ryanincalgary: There are no non persistant servers anymore. The new patch forces persistence ON on all servers.

I agree that things still need to be fixed. But as I stated earlier I love the patch and the direction the game is going.

• Like 1

.55 is the worst patch so far. I've played about 16 hours on it so far and I'm done until the next patch.

- Loot is crazy buggered on persistent and non persistent servers.

- I got one shot killed by a zombie when I had full health and a biker helmet on. My character was pretty fresh as well having maybe taken 5-6 hits in total over a couple hours.

- Zombies stand outside buildings while you're inside dealing damage to you.

- Zombies hit crazy fast, you can't hit them fast enough to not take damage and dealing them damage doesn't slow them down. They should react to being hit, sure there's a stumble animation they do which looks like they slow down for about 0.25 seconds. A grown man cleaving a zombie in the head with a pickaxe should drop it. The pickaxe would go through the skull no problem. No one is surviving that in real life. There's no skill involved with it all it's just tank them and hit them 5-6 times until they fall and replace all your destroyed gear.

- If you drive a V3S do it very carefully. If you crash them even slightly by say running over a zombie you'll ruin your boots and pants. I recommend putting your boots and pants in your backpack. I didn't have my legs broken but it might be worth bringing a splint/morphine.

- crash sites on persistent servers remain broken. non persistent seem to be good and the best source of gear at the moment. The 6-7 I found seemed to spawn appropriate items.

i agree about the zombies. I really don't like how they turned out. Zombies shouldn't be like this. They should 

A) Have less health, same damage as .55 patch, and same speed

B) More Health, less damage, and same speed. 

C) Same Health, same damage, less speed.

If zombies were like those, I wouldn't mind. But I don't like the fact that it takes forever to kill them and then since it glitches, I can barely even hit them. I like how they are adding challenges but it doesn't feel right to me. 

• Like 1

Too much emphasis on not starving.

Seems like they're trying to go for realism but I don't think any human has ever starved to death within one day. The game was better before.

Speaking of anti realism what's up with that rifle flopping around while ads strafing lol.

• Like 1

I don't know yet.

I like a couple of the things added, but the zombies are too much for me. Zombies were buggy enough, fast, and easy to kill, which I liked. If zombies stay like that, then I'd say add more zombies. But if we were to stick with the patch we have now, I'd say just make them a tiny bit weaker or a bit slower. I do want to change how zombies work, but in a reasonable way. In a way where people who don't know much about DayZ and dont know how to find a gun can kill zombies without thinking they can kill any zombie. Or just in a way where people who play DayZ can be scared and careful but not in a sense where it ruins gameplay. 

For example, after dying (for no reason), I spawned in Novo. It's clear there are not many zombies around. But then, as I exit a building, a zombie finds me. So Im trying to hit him with a pickaxe, but I cant kill him for three reasons.

1) Keeps going through my body and hitting me.

2) So fast that I cant even hit that much.

3) Takes too long.

So Im trying to aim for the head but I keep getting hit. So after hitting me like 15 times, i finally kill it, but now my coat is ruined. Most stuff I find are already damaged, so now with these zombies, it makes it easier for stuff to just get ruined. This happened to me for a while, and I managed to survive since I had bandages. But those ran out. Another zombie comes for me and hits me until I start bleeding. i run away, and luckily, i found a way to kill it. I got in a house with a window, let it come at me, and then hit it in the head. But even then, I was still bleeding. I searched a couple of more houses until I was unconscious. Then I died.

I dont really have anyone to play DayZ with except my one friend who is new and barely plays. I love DayZ (most of the times), but since almost everyone is a bandit now and everyone has a group, its hard for me to survive. So if my friend joins, see how it is impossible to kill zombies, and he dies? I probably wont have anyone to play DayZ with anymore. I don't mind all the other patches or updates, I just really want this to be fixed.

You are free to join us and team up with our team.

There are 3 clans in our server.

Join us on ts @ ts.play-z.nl

Opened for discussion...

Thanks for opening this topic.

Really great story's and feedback.

- Thumbs up -

TBH I like it. It gives purpose to the game.

However the zeds need tweaked. Not changed Im not complaining about their difficulty as a matter of fact I dig it.

But fix the no clipping and lack of sound. Thats it. That's all im asking for.

Keep them hard make it so they ruin your stuff. I'm ok with that. I had all my left over gear and haven't died yet. I'm good with it. I'll even figure out this new loot system whatever, but stop the no clipping plz, and fix their sound. It's bugged cause they do t make any.

• Like 1

The good and the bad of 0.55 after natural day

THE GOOD:
1. you can sneak to avoid zombie but it has still gps on you and in the city can find you even when cant see you for some time
2. new items and some old bugs fixed
THE BAD:
1. new bugs like soundless zombie
2. for new fight with zombies system with hand weapon should be block or push back zombie otherwise is 95% chance u will get scratched
3. you cant run from zombie uphill they are always faster than you
4. why after 30 min you can die from starvation ??
5. new loot system destroyed everything please dev dont let us wait long for fixing this 0.55 now for new players or respawn game is totally unplayable due not loot at all just start playing on any of public serv to see how empty houses are everywhere
NEW IDEAS:
1. how about looting dead zombie - they were people after all - some of they shoud have on em some items even damaged, soldier zombie ammo or weapons etc.
2. opening/closing some old wooden or metal doors should make more noise - like in normal world

• Like 1

The good and the bad of 0.55 after natural day

Merged.

Lets try and keep a coherent discussion instead of topics all over the place please.

New patch is interesting but maybe only for people with allot of time, or hardcore vets at best.

- Like the new sneaking with the zombies, it gives a more tactical feel about lurking around the cities.

- Like the idea that you have to go inland for a change.

But for average players or players that do not have much time, I think, it is a waste of time and it is better to play something else, in its current stage.

- I had to pick apples for 2 hours straight to stay alive, no fun at all and it felt like a huge waste of time or felt like playing apple harvester 2015.

- Zombies can 1 hit you and ruin your gear, pure frustration, especially when one of the invisible ones that make no noise attack you.

- Melee vs Zombies are no almost completely pointless due to the large risk of ruining your gear and being almost 100% of the time attacked and hit by the zombies, the zombies also have allot more hp and they attack super fast, leaving you to just run as your best option, around back and forth tiring them out or trapping them into buildings (is what i do as of now).

- I was not able to cure food poisoning, I used and tired everything and if you get sick this way, your a dead man.

- Loot seems to be completely broken, large cities like Electro or Cherno now have little next to no loot, I know this is to make players go inland, but seriously? Now there is no point visiting those cities making them obsolete, a waste of time to even visit, the entire coast line is a barren waste land.

- Loot locations seem to be random, or broken or I don't know what up with it but, military bases have now mainly books and t-shirts, really annoying and making them now also obsolete.

- Canned foods are now ultra rare, I don't know if this is by design, since I did read stuff about the dev's wanting us to hunt more etc, which is to be honest fine, I like the idea, and I was forced more then enough times to go farming but this is still to rare, when starting as a fresh spawn, starting hungry, you will starve to death on the coast lines, forced to run inland, when you do run inland your dying of starvation already forced to do pretty much the only thing left which kinda guarantees you food: picking apple trees.

- Hunting which links to canned foods is okay but when you are left picking apple trees to just remain alive, you don't really have much time to do anything else until the hungry is dealt with, and even if it is, I have yet to find a cooking pot or a frying pan, both which I never encountered since the latest patch. Gathering a knife, a gun, bullets, a frying pan/cooking pot, a water bottle with water, an axe to chop trees or gas canister and cooking stove, seems to time inefficient when you are on the edge to death.

- Farming, due to being mainly on the edge of death, I figured farming was the best thing to do after keeping myself alive with apples. A pickaxe, farming hoe or shovel is not to hard to find and I found allot of seeds on the coast line, you can even farm without a fertilizer and water if the ground is good enough, so I found this to be the safest way of gathering food. But even this is not so effective as canned food or hunting for meat so food IMO is very difficult and time consuming, and to be honest, I don't ever want to pick an apple tree ever again after my last session.

So I'm gonna wait for the next patch before playing again, food needs to be fixed along with the loot to allow for hunting and other methods of staying alive as well as fixing the medical stuff to cure food poisoning.

• Like 1

To which I say.. Sure, it will hurt player interaction if by player interaction you mean folks wandering up and down the coast, wearing pink dresses and chasing each other with fire extinguishers.

The attitude of the dev's is reflecting on the game.

The patch is great and while maybe tents were a bit funky, persistence itself isn't wholly not working. You can leave stuff on the ground over the course of a sever reset and it'll still be there - which is huge.

for me it wasn't, i lost some good gear.

I like the changes but playing on my own makes it hard, very hard, maybe more than it should be. To the point where im sick of always looking and not finding , thats all i do now rather than explore, almost to the boring point for me, my pumpkins are keeping me going, even though i lost all my guns etc, im guessing i wont find any replacements either.

Edited by PlasticAssasin8

Come on, it isn't even remotely close to what some mods were offering in terms of survival. And it's not hardcore either, unless you're one of the guys that hasn't figured out yet to check car wrecks and deer stands.

I like sneaking past zombies and the fact that they are tougher now.

I don't like zombies teleporting around me and hitting 3 times in a single animation.

I like finding camo clothing and vests in civilian areas.

I don't like how useless military zones are right now.

It's ok. Some people whine that it's too hard, others grab loot and survive no prob, so it's kinda balanced?

Great idea. Piss poor execution.

That's how I feel about .55. As a n00b (I only started playing in .54), I like the direction the game is going - I feel surviving should be difficult... That said, with food becoming scarce, the bugged zeds sneaking up silently and bitch-slapping from behind my pants into ruins, hitting me through fences and inside buildings, still damaging me from 10' away after I've dropped them with a 3 round burst, the farming, fishing, hunting, cooking mechanics all being varying degrees of FUBAR... What loot there is spawning in outhouses and (often) nowhere that makes much sense. Come on, man, I know it's alpha but pull your heads out of wherever you stuck them and either implement shit a little more slowly or patch broken shit faster?

My $.02.

Edited by that1n00b