thedogfoodyayho

New weapon confirmed? VSS Vintorez

Because there isn't? Ballistic vests don't exist in DayZ yet because none of them have any armour configured. Learn your shit before spouting nonsense.

Who is talking about ballistics vests? Are you daft?

I'm sorry I had no idea you were Russian special forces. Like hell it can't penetrate a hard plate. With standard issue hardened steel or tungsten it can make swiss cheese of hardened 1/5" steel at 100m. Of course this could be carefully planted Russian propaganda to strike fear into their enemies but I doubt it. Also there is no armor penetration in DayZ? I guess I'll start wearing my motorcycle helmet to defeat snipers now.

How is the AK the paper that cover's the VSS' rock?

The AK has less of a drop, thus for me, I just set my AK on 200m and rock and roll. You need to obsessively note distance when using the 9x39 round due to the extreme parabolic nature of the trajectory. While it carries enough kinetic energy and momentum to still have reasonable penetrating capabilities at these distances, like the rifle round it is, one still needs to account for this drop.

So you're sitting here trying to figure out if I'm 300 or 400 yards away because let's say you don't have a range finder, or even if you do have a rangefinder, you'd have to pull it out first. Like I said, I'd just eyeball it with an AK, and blast you while you're still fiddling with the distance.

Now, maybe you have the drop on me, or I don't know you're there, but you could say that about nearly any gun.

The VSS is not a well rounded battle rifle or assault rifle. It is a highly specialized counter-sniper weapon.That being said, I can't help but love the thing.

On a side note, Gews, where are you from? This recent string of semi-auto hunting rifles is like nothing I've ever seen before, the wooden ornamentation on the receiver is especially bizarre to me (I suppose the relatively few rounds (or round) fired during a hunt wouldn't heat up the receiver that much, or maybe it has some kind of heat shield). But wouldn't that make it a pain if you took it to a range and actually wanted to blast away?

The AK has less of a drop, thus for me, I just set my AK on 200m and rock and roll. You need to obsessively note distance when using the 9x39 round due to the extreme parabolic nature of the trajectory. While it carries enough kinetic energy and momentum to still have reasonable penetrating capabilities at these distances, like the rifle round it is, one still needs to account for this drop.

So you're sitting here trying to figure out if I'm 300 or 400 yards away because let's say you don't have a range finder, or even if you do have a rangefinder, you'd have to pull it out first. Like I said, I'd just eyeball it with an AK, and blast you while you're still fiddling with the distance.

Now, maybe you have the drop on me, or I don't know you're there, but you could say that about nearly any gun.

The VSS is not a well rounded battle rifle or assault rifle. It is a highly specialized counter-sniper weapon.That being said, I can't help but love the thing.

On a side note, Gews, where are you from? This recent string of semi-auto hunting rifles is like nothing I've ever seen before, the wooden ornamentation on the receiver is especially bizarre to me (I suppose the relatively few rounds (or round) fired during a hunt wouldn't heat up the receiver that much, or maybe it has some kind of heat shield). But wouldn't that make it a pain if you took it to a range and actually wanted to blast away?

PSO scopes generally have their own range finders. Shoot enough zombies with one and you will probably become an expert at finding distance. This is why I would rather not see it. It will become the omni rifle.

Edited by Sike

I think that any CDF gear we get should reflect that of the modern Ukrainian army.

I'm down...

1614521_840753759280515_5640572233884087

p451kIL.jpg

upjNjFL.jpg

uH1EJVg.jpg

B3EQ8OLCMAALwVH.jpg

W1CNKXKaEI0.jpg

Needs more Multicam and RPC Fort Tavors.

Edited by Katana67

Canada. Those rifles are Europe-only versions that look tailored to driven hunts. You can see the difference between continents, go to Browning's North American site and observe that none of their BARs are shown offered with iron sights and most models are black or camouflage synthetic... the polar opposite on their European site.

Edited by Gews

I wanted to check what the in-game ballistics of this round should be. Here are the rough dimensions of the sniper projectile, kinda sorta:

OKHe7Lp.png

It seems to me airFriction of around -0.00037 is appropriate. So if you were zeroed for 300 meters you'd be 1.5 m high at 150 and down 1.2 m at 350.

PSO scopes generally have their own range finders. Shoot enough zombies with one and you will probably become an expert at finding distance. This is why I would rather not see it. It will become the omni rifle.

Right, and if you like artificial balancing, perhaps find games where this is the norm. Payday 2 has a great many mods where lengthening the barrel decreases damage, despite the extra length of barrel for the gases to work. Because I mean, if it increased accuracy and damage, everything would be OP. Also, nevermind that shorter stiffer barrels are actually more accurate. Or perhaps try CoD? The wonderfully inaccurate UZIs are a real caricature of the real thing, maybe you'd like that sort of thing? Maybe counterstrike is your deal where the same round fired from different guns of similar barrel lengths due incredibly different damages.

I'd like a game that sticks to reality. The reason the VSS isn't an omni weapon is it's overall limited range (just stay 800m away, you'll be straight), and the fact that it has a forged hardened steel receiver, which is very expensive to make. Suppressors need regular care and cleaning as well. It's just not cost effective.

On a side note, we need kobra sights for the AK-74su, I believe. Hey, just be thankful we're not getting the SVU, especially an SVU-A. Rumor is it's a full auto SVD that's got a wicked muzzle brake to actually make it somewhat usable, and a suppressor on top fo that. Throw a 30 round mag into that, and you got yourself a suppressed marksman rifle/lmg that handles better than either.

Most optics like the PSO, including the ACOG, all have their own "rangefinders" (i.e. features on the reticle that approximate the human silhouette at various ranges).

It's not really a feature that's unique to the PSO somehow, it's just more obvious.

Actually the VSS round can penetrate a steel plate a 500m. So ontop of being able to participate at what is currently max range sniping it can also make armor obsolete. Also there is the feature that makes the VSS compactable and able to be fitted in a suitcase. Do I see high capacity vest compatability in the future? Maybe.

I honestly can't see this gun not becoming OP as fuck.

The round itself is capable of penetrating a steel plate at 500m that is only 0.08mm thick. Thats your standard infantry helmet, nothing all that special, however the gun is almost always used from under 400m, because that is the max effective range. Sure if you can hit something from 500m it will penetrate but that doesn't mean its a good idea to try to shoot people from that far with the 9x39. It's a very niche gun that was designed almost exclusively for covert operations. The only thing the gun will be good for is counter sniping if they manage to get the ballistics of the round even some what right. Good luck hitting a moving, even slow moving target with the amount of drop the round has.

Edited by Sirwarriant12

I love that 9x39mm round for it's proprieties. I like either shotgun shells or heavy, slow and "hard-hitting" rounds, which that round is completely. But it's far to be "good" as all rounder. It's a very special round for special operations. Nobody will want to use it for efficiency. First, it's slow. It's a subsonic round which goes between 280-320m/s. It means that you will have to lead A LOT. Even at short-medium range of 300, that's a full second of leading. Which is a lot. 
Second, the drop is huge as well. You have to think of it behaving a bit like .45acp. Just stronger and with some armor piercing abilities at short range (Not really for the sp-5, it's more the sp-6 thing). You will not do anything 500m away with it. It's armor piercing capabilities are gone at that distance, you almost have to lead for 2 seconds ahead, and you are basically just lobing tiny non explosive mortar round. In term of pure energy, it's also low compared to rifle round like 5.56, almost 3 times less and more over distance. Just think of it as a beffed up .45 acp. You don't snipe with those. 
So no, it will be far from omni-rifle. Just a kind of fun, gimmicky weapon. Maybe good for zombies, but I wouldn't even count on it because 9x39mm are rare. 

Edited by Sharkeran
  • Like 1

I imagine it'll be like what the PM73 Rak was before - a prestigious gun that's incredibly rare and isn't all that much better than more common equivalents, but is cool to have if you find one. The difference now is that it actually makes sense being rare (assuming the PM73 represented the PM63) and has several unique properties, unlike the PM73 which was inferior to the MP5K in basically every way.

I imagine it'll be like what the PM73 Rak was before - a prestigious gun that's incredibly rare and isn't all that much better than more common equivalents, but is cool to have if you find one. The difference now is that it actually makes sense being rare (assuming the PM73 represented the PM63) and has several unique properties, unlike the PM73 which was inferior to the MP5K in basically every way.

While I do support some "party piece" weapons, I do believe that the majority of weapons should have some unique/useful qualities so that people will actually use them.

Take the FAL in the mod. It was a wonderful weapon. But nobody used it because it, and the all-important magazines, only spawned at helicopter crashes. Whereas everyone used the M14 AIM/DMR because it could be found everywhere, came with optics, and the magazines could be found in industrial buildings.

Granted, things have changed a bit since then. And you rightly pointed out the PM73. But I'm sure that similar imbalances could arise if the whole picture isn't taken into account. There's a fine line between something being a "party piece" and outright useless.

Spawning at helicopter crashes, or being prohibitively rare, isn't in and of itself problematic. But these things have to be rare for a reason. It can't just be rare for rarity's sake with the vast majority of weapons.

As niche as the VSS's intended role is, I'm not sure it warrants being super rare. I mean, rarer than an AK-74 or AKM for sure. But not so rare that it, and 9x39, become some kind of seldom-encountered luxury. Especially if they're not going to make it super modular, it just doesn't seem all that great to me. Its main selling point is that it, ostensibly, comes with an integral suppressor. Other than that, I'm sure it will drop folks just as well as an SKS or Mosin.

While I do support some "party piece" weapons, I do believe that the majority of weapons should have some unique/useful qualities so that people will actually use them.

Take the FAL in the mod. It was a wonderful weapon. But nobody used it because it, and the all-important magazines, only spawned at helicopter crashes. Whereas everyone used the M14 AIM/DMR because it could be found everywhere, came with optics, and the magazines could be found in industrial buildings.

Granted, things have changed a bit since then. And you rightly pointed out the PM73. But I'm sure that similar imbalances could arise if the whole picture isn't taken into account. There's a fine line between something being a "party piece" and outright useless.

Spawning at helicopter crashes, or being prohibitively rare, isn't in and of itself problematic. But these things have to be rare for a reason. It can't just be rare for rarity's sake with the vast majority of weapons.

As niche as the VSS's intended role is, I'm not sure it warrants being super rare. I mean, rarer than an AK-74 or AKM for sure. But not so rare that it, and 9x39, become some kind of seldom-encountered luxury. Especially if they're not going to make it super modular, it just doesn't seem all that great to me. Its main selling point is that it, ostensibly, comes with an integral suppressor. Other than that, I'm sure it will drop folks just as well as an SKS or Mosin.

The thing about the VSS is that it is a very good weapon - internally suppressed and highly accurate at the short range it's effective within. It, like the Amphibia, is going to be quieter than pretty much any other gun even if said gun has a suppressor attached.

Suppressors themselves are extremely rare attachments and can only be used on a few platforms (Save the improvised one, but that doesn't actually silence anything, only somewhat lowering the shot volume and reducing flash.) Ones that come with them built in give those who utilize one a major advantage right off the bat, and the fact that the VSS has potential to be a fairly modular platform is another (10 and 20 round magazines, support for many eastern optics, and compatible with rail mounts for western optics.)

The other argument is sense. There has to be a degree of liberty taken in this regard, because if the devs were truly following realism then you'd never be finding Blaze 95s or LongHorns simply because of realism. However, the VSS really doesn't make sense spawning anywhere other than helicopter crashsites. They wouldn't be used by conventional forces to any significant degree and helicopter crashsites seem to represent where high-tier operators would have been.

I just can't fathom it being on the common side of weapons nor spawning anywhere at static locations. It's not all powerful to the point that it's a god-tier weapon that needs to be hidden everywhere but it's definitely strong enough so that it can't be everywhere. The best solution to that, IMO, is to keep it at crashsites.

I feel the same way about the AK101 - even though there's not a whole lot that makes it better than the AK74 (save the PSO-1 and overall superior 5.56 round), the AK74 is similar enough that it represents a common rifle and the AK101 is a somewhat better equivalent that seems more like a special operations-esque rifle rather than a common infantry weapon.

I'm down...

1614521_840753759280515_5640572233884087

p451kIL.jpg

upjNjFL.jpg

uH1EJVg.jpg

B3EQ8OLCMAALwVH.jpg

W1CNKXKaEI0.jpg

Needs more Multicam and RPC Fort Tavors.

soooooo hot

It really is strange how the Crisis in Ukraine mirrors the plot of ArmA 2. From what I understand Ukrainian Tavors are chambered in 5.45. Would be very interesting if they were added in game.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/10/15/ukraine-manufacturing-tavor-in-5-45x39mm/

Yup! I'm not sure their Negev clones, or Galatz clones, are chambered in 5.45x39 and 7.62x54R respectively though. Pretty sure they're 5.56x45 and 7.62x51 respectively.

That and they also make RPC Fort Tavors in 5.56x45. I'm unsure to which one they're actually issuing, I'd guess the 5.45x39 variant.

Edited by Katana67

I wanted to check what the in-game ballistics of this round should be. Here are the rough dimensions of the sniper projectile, kinda sorta:

OKHe7Lp.png

It seems to me airFriction of around -0.00037 is appropriate. So if you were zeroed for 300 meters you'd be 1.5 m high at 150 and down 1.2 m at 350.

Since DayZ came out wayyyy back when in December, i have always wondered how the hell you always know the ballistics and everything on this game. Like it literally blows my mind. You keep up the good work.