Sign in to follow this  
Wookieenoob

Clipping thread - if you see clipping post here.

incase you don't know, clipping is where you see two items popping into eachother and over eachother.

i will compile these and post an issue on the feedback tracker. here are some ones that i have noticed:

balaclava clips with a lot of things, all of the beanies and most of the hats like them, quilted jackets, and anything that generally has a tight fit or collar. a suggested fix would be to make it smaller or to make the hats larger if there is a balaclava present.

combat boots clip through TSSKO pants (i remember seeing some pants/boots clipping, and i think it was with these.)

has anyone else seen gear that really doesn't fit onto your character other than the balaclavas? 

Edited by Wookieenoob

Wellies clip through most pants. Balaclavas clip through most hats, especially beanies and radar caps. Bandana face masks clip through some headgear around the knot. Rain coats, possibly other jackets too, clip through Leather Improvised Vest.

Wellies and balaclavas really show that they haven't thought enough of some of their earlier models. Hats are likely too thin and/or close the skin. Wellies are too phat because they clip through or pants aren't enough skinny, or pants aren't enough phat and floating so wellies could be under them without clipping.

I guess we will see many replacements because of some cliping issues and that time dev team has think some categories better what should be under/middle/topwear.

soviet army officer's hat clips with your head. your head pokes out of the top of the hat.

fireman's axe handle clips through your head when in 3pp and you turn your head all the way to the left (or right)

Edited by cash81

I honestly don't understand why this problem exists at all. It's most likely that what St. Jimmy wrote is right: there wasn't enough planning these assets from the start. Most likely they weighted and skinned these new models based on a generic character model. Whereas they should have weighted everything twice: 1st on the skinniest character setup (e.g. jeans and t-shirt) and then on the bulkier character setup (e.g. cargo pants and padded jacket). With these two extremes sorted out (by values), everything else could have a value added to it and the vests, etc. would simple be tweaked by this value and deformed/scaled accordingly. In a more advanced engine, vertex deformation could probably be used for all clothing and look awesome (like APEX cloth), but it would come at a performance cost.

This clipping issue is just one of the things that makes me wonder, who is in charge of the game design - the coders or the modelers. I like a lot of the models in Dayz, but I think the art department just storms ahead, while issues like clipping are unresolved. A lot of it just seems like sloppy work, like the wrong LODs popping up for the new rocks or some of the fences; most likely someone just entered the wrong LOD settings, but I don't see this getting fixed. Happens with a few trees too. Sure it is not a game changer, but Dayz is all about immersion and the clipping stuff and pop-up LODs deter this from happening.   

Also, not really clipping, but I think the leather hat doesn't work with all other attachments. I tried wearing it over the clown mask and couldn't. The leather vest clips with most everything in some place or other. It also looks too thin and lean for a handcrafted vest (imho).  

Edited by S3V3N

Let's be honest, seems like items clip through one another more often than not. It's especially prevalent with masks and headgear. If the issue stems from the explanation S3V3N gave then I'm afraid they'll never get around to fixing these problems. Shame because clipping is one of my main pet peeves with this game. I know it's not a major issue but it's definitely not desirable.

I find any character with hair causes some sort of clipping with almost anything... I go hatless usually because of this.

Balaclavas clip through the back of the m65 jacket's collar. Wellies clip through fresh spawn jeans.

New ballistic vest does lot of clipping with pockets attached.

Hands go thru pocket at least when equiping mp-133. With AUG and mp5, clipping was very small.

Also pistol pouch have minor clipping when sitting with p1, not tryed with another pistols.