Skittlez_P99

Hey guys! New here, looking for more FPS!

Hey there, new to the forums. Started playing DayZ a few weeks ago and I am loving it! So now I am wanting to see if I can increase my frames with the hardware I currently have until I can afford to upgrade again.

Right now I am rocking this..

Motherboard: m5a78l-m lx plus

GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650 Ti 

CPU: 3.50 gigahertz AMD FX-6300 Six-Core 

RAM: 8 Gigs

Launch Options are..

noPause -cpuCount=6 -maxMem=8192 -exThreads=6 -malloc=system

Game settings are..

Bloom: 0

Alpha to Coverage: Disabled

A-A: Low

Clouds: Disabled

Full-Screen

Edge Smooth: Disabled

HDR Q: V. low

Objects: High (read to use this to see people from distances)

Post-process Q: Disabled

Res: 1920x1080

Shadows: Very Low (I disabled this frequently)

Terrain: Low

Texture: Normal

Texture Filtering: Disabled

I get around 34 max FPS with this setup when running in the woods or through a small town or on the road. Military bases too for the most part. I am still trying to have the game look as nice as it can while pushing for the best frames. Just wondering if anyone here might have any suggestions. 

Thank you very much to anyone that replies and I am excited to make my presence known here on the forums! =D

There is a small change you can do which helped me and a buddy of mine pretty well. It's really easy to do and takes less than 3 minutes.

Here is the video of where I got it, though I'll just explain it down below to potentially save time.

'User' (whatever your computer is named) -> Documents -> DayZ.

You will see a file named 'DayZ.cfg'. Open that file in Notepad.

Find two lines of text - they are "GPU_MaxFramesAhead" "GPU_DetectedFramesAhead", followed by an equal sign, a number, and a semi colon.

Replace both numbers, and just the numbers, to 1. My numbers before I changed them were 3, and 1,000.

Save the document, close it.

aaaand you're done! I don't really have an idea on what it does, but it gave me better FPS from it.

There is another thing you can try, but it just crashed my DayZ whenever I tried to run it. No idea why, but it might work for you.

Go to your Steam Library.

Find DayZ, right click it, and go to properties.

Type in "-winxp" in your launch options.

Close, then try running DayZ.

Hopefully that works for you.

Careful, the mods are out for blood.

Okay. 

Hi I have an Alienware 17 with these specs.

GeForce GTX 860M GPU

Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50 GHz

8.00 GB RAM

Windows 7

How do you think this will run on my computer?

Hi I have an Alienware 17 with these specs.

GeForce GTX 860M GPU

Intel Core i7-4710MQ CPU @ 2.50 GHz

8.00 GB RAM

Windows 7

How do you think this will run on my computer?

When you have a laptop with a dedicated GPU, performance is, to a certain extent, more dependent on how well the engineers designed the cooling on the device.

For example, I used to have a Macbook Pro. It had the i7-4950HQ, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM, and a GT 750m w/ 2GB GDDR5. I was able to run BF4 at 1600x900, 60FPS, mostly low settings.....for about 5 minutes. The CPU and the GPU shared the same heatsink and after a few minutes of pegging the GPU at 99% and the CPU varying between 40-80%, the system would overheat and trigger throttling even with the system fans ramped up to max. Even when I lowered the resolution to 720p with frames capped to 60, this just delayed the inevitable. The system couldn't handle using it's own hardware in a real time environment for long before it dropped down to 30FPS or worse.

Since you have an Alienware, I'd imagine that the cooling is a bit better but I've never owned one. I have read a lot about them, particularly when I was looking into my own throttling problems, and I know they can still have this problem. 

Hardware wise: you should be able to play the game about as well as any of us can. The game is not optimized at all so don't expect to be blown away.  It all just depends on how well your laptop can dissipate heat under load. 

I know this is going to sound noobish but I found the easist way to get great FPS is using AMD Raptr or Geforce Experience. Raptr gave me a really good boost in FPS and improved quality without spending all day in the config file.

When you have a laptop with a dedicated GPU, performance is, to a certain extent, more dependent on how well the engineers designed the cooling on the device.

For example, I used to have a Macbook Pro. It had the i7-4950HQ, 16GB 1600mhz DDR3 RAM, and a GT 750m w/ 2GB GDDR5. I was able to run BF4 at 1600x900, 60FPS, mostly low settings.....for about 5 minutes. The CPU and the GPU shared the same heatsink and after a few minutes of pegging the GPU at 99% and the CPU varying between 40-80%, the system would overheat and trigger throttling even with the system fans ramped up to max. Even when I lowered the resolution to 720p with frames capped to 60, this just delayed the inevitable. The system couldn't handle using it's own hardware in a real time environment for long before it dropped down to 30FPS or worse.

Since you have an Alienware, I'd imagine that the cooling is a bit better but I've never owned one. I have read a lot about them, particularly when I was looking into my own throttling problems, and I know they can still have this problem. 

Hardware wise: you should be able to play the game about as well as any of us can. The game is not optimized at all so don't expect to be blown away.  It all just depends on how well your laptop can dissipate heat under load. 

Yeah. The computer actually has great cooling with fans all over the bottom and vents everywhere. I think I should be fine.