Sike (DayZ)

Does DayZ need aeiral transport?

Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ  

241 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see aerial transport in DayZ

• No - I want to keep DayZ on terra firma/assorted bodies of water
    • Yes - I want to see all kinds of aerial vehicles
    • Yes - But I want to only see transports (no gunships)
    • Yes - But I want to only see limited transports (no heli-hunting door gunners)
    • I just want a parachute to stop me from breaking my legs!
  2. 2. If you clicked No, why?

• Aerial vehicles feel unnatural and don't fit the overall theme
    • Aerial vehicles are overpowering and too unfair for those not lucky enough to find one
    • Dev time could be better spent elsewhere
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote no
  3. 3. If you clicked Yes, why?

• Chernarus is too big just to have land vehicles
    • Teamplay possibilities make it too good not to have
    • The mod had it so the stand alone should have it too
    • Other - Say in comments
    • I didn't vote yes

I can't believe that this is even a discussion.

Of course there should be helicopters, just like in the mod. Sometimes I think people are too quick to throw away the mod, where this great game began.

If you want something different you don't want DayZ, so go elsewhere.

1 Huey, 1 Mi17 and 1 AH6 per server.

Why when u can fly a cross the map in less than a minute with one does that even matter 

Why when u can fly a cross the map in less than a minute with one does that even matter 

Number one, you can't fly across the map in "less than a minute."

Two, that's what they are supposed to do anyhow. They're supposed to get you places fast. At the expense of stealth (i.e. everyone can see/hear/shoot you) and at the expense of not being able to interact with the rest of the world easily (i.e. without landing and drawing a ton of attention from players/zombies alike).

Helicopters are a wonderful thing in DayZ, they provided me with some very intense moments in the mod. Flying them, stealing them, and avoiding them alike.

Were they problematic? Absolutely. The parts were insanely easy to find, it was easy to repair them, the M240 ammunition regenerated at server restart, the UH-1 came equipped with M240s standard, fuel was in infinite supply, gunners were at an advantage due to certain graphical issues, innate parachutes for passengers/pilots was a joke, and there was a distinct lack of camouflage options for ground-side players.

Were they omnipotent? No way. They could be brought down with small arms fire, they're massively loud/noticeable, you have to store them in limited areas when you log off and they're likely to be stolen, landing to do anything meaningful requires a large and noticeable landing action, and using them to their fullest extent requires 2-4 players.

In fact, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've been killed in vanilla DayZ mod by a helicopter (not exaggerating, just going back through the ones I remember, it has to be under 5). I've stolen far, far, far more helicopters than I've seen being flown by others.

Please bring back helicopters. I miss thee.

Edited by Katana67

Number one, you can't fly across the map in "less than a minute."

Two, that's what they are supposed to do anyhow. They're supposed to get you places fast. At the expense of stealth (i.e. everyone can see/hear/shoot you) and at the expense of not being able to interact with the rest of the world easily (i.e. without landing and drawing a ton of attention from players/zombies alike).

Helicopters are a wonderful thing in DayZ, they provided me with some very intense moments in the mod. Flying them, stealing them, and avoiding them alike.

Were they problematic? Absolutely. The parts were insanely easy to find, it was easy to repair them, the M240 ammunition regenerated at server restart, the UH-1 came equipped with M240s standard, fuel was in infinite supply, gunners were at an advantage due to certain graphical issues, innate parachutes for passengers/pilots was a joke, and there was a distinct lack of camouflage options for ground-side players.

Were they omnipotent? No way. They could be brought down with small arms fire, they're massively loud/noticeable, you have to store them in limited areas when you log off and they're likely to be stolen, landing to do anything meaningful requires a large and noticeable landing action, and using them to their fullest extent requires 2-4 players.

In fact, I can probably count on one hand how many times I've been killed in vanilla DayZ mod by a helicopter (not exaggerating, just going back through the ones I remember, it has to be under 5). I've stolen far, far, far more helicopters than I've seen being flown by others.

Please bring back helicopters. I miss thee.

So you were just really lucky?

So here is my input and my argument:

On armed aircraft:

My experience comes from played thousands of hours of chernarus DayZ mod, with vehicles and vehicle availability ranging from one random little bird for the entire server, to vendors dispensing chinooks and black hawks left and right.

Fully modern militarized aircraft are at many times too much. Black hawks and chinooks wrecking bases with M134 gats are too powerful and too unrealistic for the fidelity of the DayZ standalone. In such servers around 30% of the game was about survival and the other 70% about heavy warfare which was not exactly the best DayZ experience the mod had to offer.

Some servers heavily restricted the type of aircraft that could be acquired, with the huey for example being rare or expensive and being the best you could hope for. While having the huey and having ammo for it was fairly powerful with their M240's 7.62's (IIRC), the limited nature of ammo and the rarity of the huey made it so that it was not game breaking or overpowered to have on a server. Aircraft with very rare/hard to get/expensive ammunition, or low impact ammunition (like 7.62 relatively speaking if helicopters can support shooting out of the doors like people do in real life) make it so that ground forces cannot be completely dominated by armed aircraft (in fact taking fire from the ground means you should probably flee or your heli will be damaged/destroyed). The main threat that a huey poses that an unarmed aircraft does not pose is the ability to follow and extort or shoot at enemy aircraft. Having the right balance of expense/availability and therefore liability versus the physical advantages that aircraft give you is important in order to promote versatile play-styles.

Servers with unarmed but relatively accessible aircraft were alright, but the end game consisted of ground assaults on enemy positions with aerial extractions only. Once people were in the air you could follow them but that is it. One typical strategy that emerged was using cheap aircraft occupied by a single pilot as a suicide missile against more expensive and more occupied enemy aircraft. Having no guns was less interesting in my opinion, and it had a massive impact on the absolute endgame, which was inter-group warfare.

On Aircraft themselves:

The main usage of aircraft has always been picking up re-spawned teammates from the coast, and traveling persons or resources from point A to point B. Engaging in combat with armed aircraft was usually a rare thing reserved for the most affluent clans and bases which could afford to do so. The convenience of being picked up from the cost, or reducing travel time does not in and of itself change the basics of DayZ. Players who operate aircraft need to worry about fuel and maintenance, they need to have saved and stored resources like medicines and food, they need to constantly worry about security. Most importantly, in order to actually use/construct a helicopter, players will need to have already mastered many or most of the basic fundamentals of DayZ, which we are all reminded of every time we die and re-spawn as a fresh bambi.

I voted yes to aircraft of all kinds, but I don't want 2000 round M134's or even necessarily any 50 cal MG's on any aircraft. Instead I want limited caliber options (7.62 area being a good standard) but I do want a diverse range of buildable craft. Auto gyros, small bi planes or cessnas, and small to medium helicopters with light guns simply add to the options of the game without breaking anything via mega powerful full military aircraft.

Edited by FlimFlamm

I did not read the whole thread, for those interested these are my "other" reasons that were asked for:

I do not see any survivalish sense in ppl flying around in helis / planes. Do we really need helis to pick up ppl from the coast while clans battle it out, fly them to their bases, where they re-equip and then fly them back to the fight? Ok, that is over the top, but what will helis / planes bring to the gameplay instead of being some kind of minigame? Well unless they are really used as support for large scale battles, but that is not what I envision DayZ.

Another thing is that no one can just simply fly a heli or a plane. No problem with driving land vehicles, handling guns, making a plot and plant stuff, that's all not rocket science. Some of the advanced crafting is also unrealistic to be accomplished by regular ppl, but fine. But simply flying a plane or heli should end in a crash and nothing else. Repairing vehicles will also be unrealistic, but doing the same with planes or helis...yepp.

One thing aerial vehicles can be really used for I predict is looking for tents / bases. For that purpose they will probably be OP I guess, you can probably see tents quite well from the top.

I think a helicopter would just be one of those things that I would never ever get my hands on but would give luckier players a massive advantge on me, like the Ghillie suit or half the weapons in the game.

Maybe light airplanes without weapons wouldn't be too bad. Landing should be difficult and should only be possible at airfields or on the highway at the coast. So basically you could only use airplanes to land at the coast or at 3 inland locations. You can use them to quickly travel across the map but not for landing at peoples bases or to flank in firefights.

Edited by Sebidee

I see so many people objecting for piss poor reasons.

Just because you cannot envision aerial transport fitting into your 'survivalish senses' doesn't mean it is not a good Idea.

Nobody wants to play a game where the end goal is to not die of starvation. People are going to be building bases and having all kinds of ground transport, so why not air transport?

You people think having sniper wars is about survival? Give me a break.

That average people cannot fly planes or helicopters is an even more terrible reason to not have them. Why should we only allow things in DayZ that average people have the knowledge for in real life?

We play video games for a reason, some us obviously for different ones. Shoot em up games are plenty, which is just what DayZ is without aircraft. So while you all sit here talking about how adding additional content to the game is going to ruin your petty visions for DayZ's future I'm going to be realistic and lobby for things which will make DayZ a lastingly fun game to play instead of a fucking hiking and sniping simulator that gets old and dies in less than a year after release.

Edited by FlimFlamm
  • Like 1

I can get that. Still would not want to see gunships or apache helicopters though. Small light aircraft for transport rather than fighting would be the way to go, I don't think geared up players need to have even more of an advantage over fresh spawns.

Edited by Sebidee

Eventually would like to see one of these. Dude i freaking love the paint scheme. But if i could paint even light aircraft colors like this id be a happy camper haha.

1301049055_su-34_13(1).jpg

I picked Yes - I want to see all kinds of aerial vehicles 

I really think there should be as many aerial vehicle types as there is land types in real life HOWEVER I do think they should still be rare and i think the parts especially for something like pictured above should be rare as hell but something kind of endgamish.

I dont think fighter planes should be implemented, people that had one could destroy others bases with a pair of bombs

+ the map is not suited for that kind of planes, a su27 would go over Chernarus in 1 minute or less at full speed.

+that thing consumes way to much fuel, in other words you would have to get fuel (which is supposed to be rare) for months just to have a 30 minutes flight on that beast.

Hope they implement light aircrafts and chopers, that experience would be awesome but ofcourse real simulator control and real maintenance difficulty.

See you all ;)

I think, aerial transport would be really interesting after basebuilding.

And land transport. I want to see bicycles, cars, motorbikes, horses and whatever before I want to see planes. I know we have the V3S but it's not good enough.

Edited by Sebidee
  • Like 1

Almost nobody is supporting the idea of chinooks, black hawks, or military jets. Obviously they would be ridiculously powerful and would not fit into DayZ.

What would fit into DayZ are light aircraft and lightly armed aircraft.

If there are going to be aircraft, then there should be at least some variations which have the capacity to defend themselves, otherwise no matter what aircraft you fly they are constant and complete liabilities. At least if an aircraft is lightly armed it has a chance at defending itself when ambushed.

Shooting at someone from a helicopter (or even worse, a plane) is much more difficult than shooting at a helicopter from the ground. Unless the helicopter is a black hawk with M2's or M134's you can take cover and return fire much more safely than a helicopter can openly engage ground targets.

If a clan is flying around killing fresh spawns that means ammo is too easy to get because they are wasting it for no reward. As long as aircraft cannot be equipped with ultra high rapid fire or ultra high caliber machine guns then they literally pose a negligible threat to any ground crew.

The only threat that lightly armed aircraft pose is a threat to other aircraft. If we're going to have aircraft, they might as well have the capacity to fight one another. Why not? Dogfighting requires immense flying skill and fighting in general is one of the attractions of DayZ. Lightly armed aircraft engaging in skirmishes and dogfights is the most fun I have ever had playing DayZ. Crash landing after losing a fight and the ensuing survival situation, being potentially in enemy territory, with limited supplies, and cut off from teammates and reinforcements is the truest and most dynamic/interesting survival situation that the DayZ mod had to offer.

I want aircraft to be hard to get and easy to shoot down. I want their effectiveness to depend greatly upon the skill and strategy of the pilot. I yearn again for the days when hearing a ground vehicle approaching wasn't the most interesting or exciting thing that could possibly happen.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Why would a plane or helicopter need to defend itself? If someone is shooting at you just fly higher.

• Like 1

This is for the worlds wealthiest nation combine and even then knowing someone taking flight lessons or knowing how to fly is extremely rare.

Now in eastern europe good luck with that.

Wait what? Why wouldn't eastern europe have people that can fly? They aren't cavemen.

Why would a plane or helicopter need to defend itself? If someone is shooting at you just fly higher.

Generally helicopters can always just fly away, and even if you had an armed helicopter you would want to fly away. Having guns will be enough to deter lone wolves with guns from attacking a helicopter, but any more than one ground target and the situation becomes strategically untenable for any lightly armed aircraft. basically it is a safety measure when landing. With no guns on board people can prevent you from even trying to land by threatening the landing zone, even if it is your own base. It is about being able to at least return fire to enemy ground targets.

The main difference will be aircraft vs aircraft action. An unarmed aircraft will need to flee before an armed one and will not be able to stalk armed aircraft for fear of being shot at.

When you have a bunch of aircraft in the air, but they cannot do anything to one another, then people can be annoying by endlessly following one another, and eventually will resort to kamakazie tactics.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Slow down the run speed.

Implement land vehicles.

Implement air transport.

I don't care if they add armored vehicles or gunships as long as the ammo is rare and there are forms of counterplay. ATGMs, AA Missiles, RPGs, IEDs, DshKMs, Underbarrel grenades.

Slow down the run speed.

Implement land vehicles.

Implement air transport.

I don't care if they add armored vehicles or gunships as long as the ammo is rare and there are forms of counterplay. ATGMs, AA Missiles, RPGs, IEDs, DshKMs, Underbarrel grenades.

You make a good point. Regardless of what actually gets added into the game it can be balanced based on difficulty to acquire/rarity and ammo rarity/caliber. Things can also be balanced by adding effective AA MG's to counter the MG's of any aircraft if they become too prevalent.

What I want out of DayZ is to be able to play it the way I want to. Rocket said that he wants to give us the tools to do what we want. Well he has given us a set of tools that you can find in game, but he still needs to give us numerous and diverse options on what we can actually then do with them.

Having absolutely as many variations on vehicles as possible will not only vastly increase the realism and immersive nature of the game but it will also keep it fun, innovative and exciting as players find/construct/use vehicles according to their own desires.

Edited by FlimFlamm

Wait what? Why wouldn't eastern europe have people that can fly? They aren't cavemen.

Because it simply is not a very common skill.

I am not saying eastern europe does not have anyone who cannot fly a helicopter what I am saying is statistically almost no spawned players should spawn if it reflects real life pilot numbers within the population.

I merely compared it to the west due to the west having the highest number of recreational pilots due to having the means to pay for the expensive schooling involved.

Meanwhile those in poorer areas might have to resort to only getting flight training through military service.

That being said the even bigger problem would be maintenance helos and planes are maintenance hogs, they require insane amount of logistical resources to merely maintain in service.

Such a thing once the world has collapsed is not even remotely realistic.

• Like 1

Because it simply is not a very common skill.

I am not saying eastern europe does not have anyone who cannot fly a helicopter what I am saying is statistically almost no spawned players should spawn if it reflects real life pilot numbers within the population.

I merely compared it to the west due to the west having the highest number of recreational pilots due to having the means to pay for the expensive schooling involved.

Meanwhile those in poorer areas might have to resort to only getting flight training through military service.

That being said the even bigger problem would be maintenance helos and planes are maintenance hogs, they require insane amount of logistical resources to merely maintain in service.

Such a thing once the world has collapsed is not even remotely realistic.

Jets and large helicopters are beyond the realistic maintenance limits of the DayZ scope.

Small planes however like cessnas are not maintenance hogs. Older model planes like bi planes of various kinds, and recreational grade gliders like ultralights and autogyros are well within the maintenance capabilities of a post apocalyptic zombie world.

If you are a survivor off the beach getting something together should be impossible. If you have an established and a group of teammates who have been scavenging and hoarding parts and resources then there are all kinds of things that can be built.

All you really need to get airborne is a para-sail, a small engine, and a home-made propeller. The most complex plane that could possibly be built would be some sort of bi plane with improvised everything. The most complex helicopter that could be built would be a renovated huey sized helicopter or some sort of death trap makeshift little bird sized helicopter. Auto gyros and mozzies aren't rocket science. Only aeronautical science.

It doesn't matter to me much that the average person doesn't know how to design a plane that can actually fly, or that building a helicopter requires a degree of precision that can only be had with the correct tools and knowledge. All I care about is that I can pretend that I know all that, and then invest inordinate amounts of time into completing it so I can enjoy it for those few precious hours (or minutes?) before it goes all wrong and we all die in a firey wreck so some lucky bambi can come buy and pick through the wreckage.

As an aside, the more difficult it is to fly the aircraft, the more realistic the game will be along the lines of your argument that the average person is not a pilot.

In the DayZ mod helicopters were easy to fly. They all had auto hover and generally were simple as shit. Even still, some people just suck at flying. They crash land constantly after spending ages descending. They cannot maneuver for shit and you're lucky if you don't die as a result of your decision to enter the aircraft in the first place.

Take autogyros for instance. These were the things in the DayZ mod that looked like a mozzie (a small 1 person helicopter) but they flew like a glider or a plane. Almost nobody could fly them. I could fly them though, with extreme prowess because I was dedicated enough to study and practice with them endlessly. Whenever my autogyro was stolen I knew that they would simply crash and burn a few hundred meters away. As a skilled pilot I was a valuable commodity for a group of players. I could land cessnas and bi planes along the coast with ease and could defend against enemy helicopters with an armed CAMEL or other bi plane. Other people filled their roles as well. Some were base builders, some were fighters, some liked to drive ground vehicles, and some people liked to be gunners. Once I learned how to survive in the DayZ mod, piloting aircraft, for any reason, became the most enjoyable part of the game for me. Most people liked to go on murder sprees or do clan battles or build bases and live peacefully, but I liked to fly.

Survival was easy in the dayz mod and so players had more time to engage in war against one another. In the standalone there is more to do and more roles which are crucial like farming/resource gathering; more roles to fill.

Aircraft will be hard to get and so players will mostly be inexperienced with any given aircraft. Given the value aircraft will represent, groups who collaborate to construct/maintain them will want to be sure that qualified pilots are flying them.

Why not have aircraft of a reasonable tech level and of appropriate difficulty to acquire in order to allow for this dynamic role? What is the real sacrifice other than to statistical fidelity?

Would the game honestly be more fun if there was absolutely no access to flight? (I cannot imagine how that is possible. More options=more fun right?)

Edited by FlimFlamm

Jets and large helicopters are beyond the realistic maintenance limits of the DayZ scope.

Small planes and helicopters too.

Hence why they would make zero sense within the context of dayz.

Small planes and helicopters too.

Hence why they would make zero sense within the context of dayz.

But they're simply not. Small planes require little maintenance. Small helicopters require maintenance but it is feasible with the right know-how.

I'm willing to stretch 'what realistically would survivors be able to do skill wise' in order to promote a versatile and enjoyable game. How about you?

lol this really wasn't what I was thinking when I heard "aerial transports" were confirmed. I really doubt airplanes of any type will be implemented (if you had one why not just go find your own private island and sip on tropical drinks and work on your tan :P). "All kinds" really means like Mi-8s and Hinds with guns and rockets.

I'd be willing to say there will be at least a bi-plane in the final game, but no jets.. xD

Jets are the Simi-Auto-One-Shot-Kill-Snipers of the air lol

Thank god mod tools is all I can say

But they're simply not. Small planes require little maintenance. Small helicopters require maintenance but it is feasible with the right know-how.

I'm willing to stretch 'what realistically would survivors be able to do skill wise' in order to promote a versatile and enjoyable game. How about you?

"Small planes require little maintenance"

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Do you fly?

Here is the certification list for becoming a BASIC aircraft mechanic, and said list also states that you aren't certified to work on avionics, nor "clear" planes for flight (engine, airframe, props, etc etc etc) without further certification, or by having someone with said certifications watching over your shoulder. (https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/basic/)

There is "preventive maintenance" that pilots are allowed to complete on their own planes without the proper license, but it essentially amounts to changing oil and hydraulic fluid, and replacing belts. Pilots are often (according to these and other sources) not certified to do all that much to their planes (http://avstop.com/technical/maintenance/maintenance.htm)

Not touching that small planes and helicopters are often rather expensive. Tell me, do you know of any people/companies in Chernarus that are wealthy enough or own lands/businesses large enough to warrant having a small plane/helicopter? 

As for the "realistically stretch what our survivors would be able to do to promote a versatile and better game" line, I am 100% in the opposite direction. If there is something the "average Joe" right off the street might not be able to do, then we shouldn't be able to do it. Firing mortars, flying helicopters and planes,  advanced medical care, etc. I actually feel like that makes for a better game, especially one so based in realism and authenticity, rather than every character being a "superman". 

Should we be able to learn how to do the above? It...... depends. Before the outbreak, anyone with access to a helicopter/plane would've used it to escape, and anyone with the knowledge to repair said machines probably would've gone with them. Same thing with advanced medicine. You require years of schooling to earn the basic certifications, and trying to learn it "on the fly" will result in a LOT of dead patients.

It....just isn't realistic.

"Small planes require little maintenance"

PAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA

Do you fly?

Here is the certification list for becoming a BASIC aircraft mechanic, and said list also states that you aren't certified to work on avionics, nor "clear" planes for flight (engine, airframe, props, etc etc etc) without further certification, or by having someone with said certifications watching over your shoulder. (https://www.faa.gov/mechanics/become/basic/)

There is "preventive maintenance" that pilots are allowed to complete on their own planes without the proper license, but it essentially amounts to changing oil and hydraulic fluid, and replacing belts. Pilots are often (according to these and other sources) not certified to do all that much to their planes (http://avstop.com/technical/maintenance/maintenance.htm)

Who gives a flying fuck whether or not you need certification in order to do legal plane maintenance. I could read a book on a particular plane and have a general enough understanding of it to do some maintenance. Just because you need a certificate as per safety protocol doesn't mean I cannot learn about planes in a zombie apocalypse.

The only reason why you need a certificate to work on a plane is because people will crash and die if you screw up. You can be a laymen mechanic for a car all you want because when you find out something is installed incorrectly you aren't about to die. Small planes simply do not require an insane amount of maintenance. If you understand the engine (which requires the most maintenance)then flaps, elevators and ailerons are relatively simple mechanical apparatuses.

Your argument is literally crap. Most people don't know how to operate firearms. Most people don't know how to do effective agriculture. Most people don't know anything about ground vehicle mechanics. Most people cannot make a splint to fix their own broken legs. Most people cannot do blood tests, or give and receive blood infusions. Most people don't know how to install, repair or maintain a lawnmower engine let alone a V3S. Most people are either physically or mentally unfit to do most of the things that the features of DayZ allow you to do.

Not touching that small planes and helicopters are often rather expensive. Tell me, do you know of any people/companies in Chernarus that are wealthy enough or own lands/businesses large enough to warrant having a small plane/helicopter? 

There is a very large difference between recreational/makeshift aircraft than there is between people who own private jets and corporate helicopters. Recreational aircraft are smaller and usually more dangerous statistically speaking. People who like to fly small planes and recreational light aircraft like autogyros don't need to be rich or to own a shit ton of land that requires or merits air-travel. They do it because it is within the realm of their knowledge, economic affordability, and their pursuit of happiness.

Given however that Chernarus is a deadly place where you starve in hours and are likely to get murdered, flying can become about improving travel safety. There are plenty of industrial sites and airfields in chernarus, so resources aren't really a problem.

As for the "realistically stretch what our survivors would be able to do to promote a versatile and better game" line, I am 100% in the opposite direction. If there is something the "average Joe" right off the street might not be able to do, then we shouldn't be able to do it. Firing mortars, flying helicopters and planes,  advanced medical care, etc. I actually feel like that makes for a better game, especially one so based in realism and authenticity, rather than every character being a "superman". 

As I already explained earlier, the average person is a consumer who relies totally on specialized service industries for actually getting things done. Most people cannot do something so simple as set a snare.

So your vision, for a totally realistic survival game where the un-dead magically roam would create a game where people run around for several minutes looking for soda pop, beans, and a can opener (or else they wont be able to open it, as per your average person bit), until they inevitably run into a zombie, and because they likely have no experience with guns or self defence, they get killed by the zombie. Sounds like a really boring and shitty game to me man.

Should we be able to learn how to do the above? It...... depends. Before the outbreak, anyone with access to a helicopter/plane would've used it to escape, and anyone with the knowledge to repair said machines probably would've gone with them. Same thing with advanced medicine. You require years of schooling to earn the basic certifications, and trying to learn it "on the fly" will result in a LOT of dead patients.

It....just isn't realistic.

I feel like you have a very narrow view of what human beings are capable of adapting to.

When the zombie apocalypse hits, not every pilot or mechanic is going to be at the airport, and some airports are going to be overrun. Hospitals are going to be instantly overrun, and 'doctors' might hope to escape the hospital on foot, but they certainly aren't piling into a chinook with all the worlds pilots and mechanics on the roof.

Hippocrates, some old greek person that the average person doesn't know about, said that war is the only proper school for surgeons. What did he mean by this? Well, in war (or in zombie apocalypse survival) you are continuously thrust into difficult situations for which you have no applicable certificates. You are forced to do or die, and you end up gaining experience on the spot; a lot of experience. In fact you gain so much experience and skill by being forced into a real world environment that you wonder how you could ever have learned anything at all in a classroom.

Important knowledge like how to fly aircraft, how to maintain them. Medical knowledge surrounding setting bones and suturing wounds, even blood transfusion will be something that everyone will need to learn eventually.

Mechanical and engineering skills will be among he most heavily prized and shared fields of knowledge that people who want to survive are going to need to expose themselves to.

In addition to this, the people who survive and actually make it as far as the freshly spawned bambis supposedly have are already going to be people who had the correct skills to survive that long in the first place. Boat captains, drivers, mechanics, doctors, men with military knowledge; these are going to be more represented in the survivors of an apocalypse than the average person of today.

Edited by FlimFlamm