Harmony

What Will Happen To PVP in 0.55?

You sir, were obviously late to the game (no pun intended)

When it first came out, most everyone played like a true survival game, and not elecktro camping and cherno killing. Then a few kids like rhinocrunch showed how l33t they were by camping people who were playing "friendly" style.

Then a ton of kids came in, and it soon became wasteland with zombies.

By the way, DayZ was intended as a survival Sim. Not a mil/PvP Sim.

I played since the beginnings of the mod and the first patch of standalone... Mod was far better than SA in terms of KOS. I would say I only got KOS'd 50-60% of the time in mod. In SA, I get KOS'd 70-80% of the time. PvP IS at the heart of this game. If you don't believe me, play by yourself or on a PvE mod server. It gets boring real fast. In order for DayZ to have a fun PvE experience, a lot of work is needed. The zombies have always been nothing more than temporary obstacles. Edited by InsaneRuffles
  • Like 2

I played since the beginnings of the mod and the first patch of standalone... Mod was far better than SA in terms of KOS. I would say I only got KOS'd 50-60% of the time in mod. In SA, I get KOS'd 70-80% of the time. PvP IS at the heart of this game. If you don't believe me, play by yourself or on a PvE mod server. It gets boring real fast. In order for DayZ to have a fun PvE experience, a lot of work is needed. The zombies have always been nothing more than temporary obstacles.

That's why I like the mod lol. PvP IS fun, despite what anyone says its fun. However, there's a point when it just gets ridiculous. Sometimes I'd just like to build my fire, cook my fish and chill without having a kid run up screaming "LOL U SUK AT DIZ GAYME LOL NUBE"

PvP is not the core of the game. Its a big part, but not meant to be the sole purpose (it now seems to be but that's because of the community)

• Like 1

You stopped playing because you couldn't handle competition against other players, not because it was turning into a "COD map where zeds are a minor nuisance."

The only one whining and crying here would be people with the same mentality, once they finally realize that no matter what, this will always be a PVP based game, not PVE.

This is the kind of stupid douchebaggery I'm talking about. I stopped playing because the game was repetitive and boring and all the features weren't in. How many times am I going to go gear up and hunt players before it becomes dull. I miss the original stealth of the original mod where you had to crawl around and do the barrel roll around zombies because they were actually a challenge and not just window dressing.

I was waiting for the complete game, and now finally we'll be soon entering the phase of balancing what should be a key feature of the game. If I just want to play regular pvp, I'll play arma 3 since its less buggy, has nicer graphics and better weapons. And I do play Arma 3 when I'm in the mood for some decent pvp in a game that functions well but last time I checked, DayZ was supposed to be DayZ not (crappy version of Arma2 with less features than arma 2 and window dressing zombies). That was fine for the mod, not a standalone title

Edited by Duenan
  • Like 1

This is the kind of stupid douchebaggery I'm talking about. I stopped playing because the game was repetitive and boring and all the features weren't in. How many times am I going to go gear up and hunt players before it becomes dull. I miss the original stealth of the original mod where you had to crawl around and do the barrel roll around zombies because they were actually a challenge and not just window dressing.

I was waiting for the complete game, and now finally we'll be soon entering the phase of balancing what should be a key feature of the game. If I just want to play regular pvp, I'll play arma 3 since its less buggy, has nicer graphics and better weapons. And I do play Arma 3 when I'm in the mood for some decent pvp in a game that functions well but last time I checked, DayZ was supposed to be DayZ not (crappy version of Arma2 with less features than arma 2 and window dressing zombies). That was fine for the mod, not a standalone title

"Stupid douchebaggery?" The only douche bags here are the people who think the game should tailor to their wants. I do not like KOS anymore than anyone else and, in fact, play as a hero. However, you can't call people douchebags for playing the damn game. Killing is all there is to do now. The survival mechanics are barely implemented at all, so stop your whining. Even when survival is implemented, KOS and PvP will still be at the core of the game.

"Stupid douchebaggery?" The only douche bags here are the people who think the game should tailor to their wants. I do not like KOS anymore than anyone else and, in fact, play as a hero. However, you can't call people douchebags for playing the damn game. Killing is all there is to do now. The survival mechanics are barely implemented at all, so stop your whining. Even when survival is implemented, KOS and PvP will still be at the core of the game.

Again....it's not about tailoring to my wants, its about tailoring to what was advertised.

This is not a KOS thread so don't derail it, DayZ is a post apocalyptic zombie survival sandbox. Nowhere in the inital ads for it was it ever written that zombies were a placeholder or would be taken out eventually. They were supposed to be an element of gameplay. So this is why they hired the team to do animal and zombie AI. Now they are close to implementing the new zombie AI which is what is supposed to happen.

I never said anything about KOS or hating it or PVP sucks or anything like that. Apparently you are incapable of reading or your comprehension sucks. So again I'll spell it out.

I stopped playing because I was bored of playing the unfinished game, now that the game is finally adding in the game mechanic that is central to the game I will continue playing. I expect as soon as zombie AI and hoardes are implemented a bunch of butthurt individuals will come on this forum and steam forums complaining about how it's too hard and they can't PVP like they used to.

I will laugh, and they will cry apparently not understanding that the game they have been playing for the past 6 months was not the final game and was lacking an important feature that WILL change gameplay.

• Like 2

Kos banter can go here keep it on track with OP.  The discussion in its basic form is how will the new zeds change pvp, not argue with one another.  Debate do not attack and for the love of all holy keep it on topic or I will step in.

Best Regards,

Steak.

I hope this isn't some indication of parts not spawning for the future in .54. I don't feel the z's will be enough to entertain us in .55

The pvp will strain if you only look to make camp fires in the woods, and sit and wait out a deer to stab for your next meal.

Diversity is needed and from what I see the majority want some form of pvp.

Q4 will be interesting with camps and you know it will be attacked by players to take over.

That's pvp so we need to stick together, and mold the game to our liking too. Dev.'s will go our directions if its within their game model.

Heck most of them like what we do, by the sounds of it.

Again....it's not about tailoring to my wants, its about tailoring to what was advertised.

This is not a KOS thread so don't derail it, DayZ is a post apocalyptic zombie survival sandbox. Nowhere in the inital ads for it was it ever written that zombies were a placeholder or would be taken out eventually. They were supposed to be an element of gameplay. So this is why they hired the team to do animal and zombie AI. Now they are close to implementing the new zombie AI which is what is supposed to happen.

I never said anything about KOS or hating it or PVP sucks or anything like that. Apparently you are incapable of reading or your comprehension sucks. So again I'll spell it out.

I stopped playing because I was bored of playing the unfinished game, now that the game is finally adding in the game mechanic that is central to the game I will continue playing. I expect as soon as zombie AI and hoardes are implemented a bunch of butthurt individuals will come on this forum and steam forums complaining about how it's too hard and they can't PVP like they used to.

I will laugh, and they will cry apparently not understanding that the game they have been playing for the past 6 months was not the final game and was lacking an important feature that WILL change gameplay.

Again, zombies wont change PvP. Will they change gameplay? Of course. However, that will not stop people from killing others then running/hiding when zombies come. Dont forget that zombie hordes will only move players inland, and the KOSing will continue there with full force, because the engine simply cant handle alot of hordes both inland and on the beach as well as a full server.

Remember that zombie hordes will change nothing. People will still shoot you at the first opportunity, they just have to deal with zombies afterwards. 

Again, zombies wont change PvP. Will they change gameplay? Of course. However, that will not stop people from killing others then running/hiding when zombies come. Dont forget that zombie hordes will only move players inland, and the KOSing will continue there with full force, because the engine simply cant handle alot of hordes both inland and on the beach as well as a full server.

Pure conjecture

My thoughts on this have been said in the past... PvP will change. Will it go away? NO!

But... There will definitely have to be a thought process behind that shooting of another player. If people run around shooting everything that moves, they themselves will get mauled by Zeds and either learn from that or move on.

Zeds will be a threat and whether people believe it or not the PvP aspect of the game WILL change.

With 1000's of Zeds on the map and almost a constant threat how would PvP not change? Think about it.

So the new Horde system is increasing the aggro range on weapons fire? So we'll have to fall back on the terrible melee system when anywhere near where zombies spawn?

Such impressive. Much Wow.

Killing each other 100% of the time isn't "interaction". PVP isn't interaction in my mind, other than wanting to "rekt" some person. :P

Pure conjecture

Not at all. In the mod with enfields even though the joke has always been calling it the dinner bell you never had an instance where people would leave the other alone unless they would have left the other guy alone in the first place.

It always went

See person --> Shoot person --> Run around and lose/kill whatever zeds came to you --> Circle back around and loot whatever from the guy and leave. OR even be like many and leave the body because you had no intention of taking anything from him in the first place. You just want to shoot someone.

If you honestly think that more zombies will be a deterrent you're a bit naive. It'll be more of an inconvenience, that is all.

Not at all. In the mod with enfields even though the joke has always been calling it the dinner bell you never had an instance where people would leave the other alone unless they would have left the other guy alone in the first place.

It always went

See person --> Shoot person --> Run around and lose/kill whatever zeds came to you --> Circle back around and loot whatever from the guy and leave. OR even be like many and leave the body because you had no intention of taking anything from him in the first place. You just want to shoot someone.

If you honestly think that more zombies will be a deterrent you're a bit naive. It'll be more of an inconvenience, that is all.

News flash:  this isn't the mod.

It always went

You forget, in the Mod Zeds could easily be lost in a bush or by running through a building. In the SA, it's not the case. This is not the Mod...

Edited by R.Neville

You forget, in the Mod Zeds could easily be lost in a bush or by running through a building. In the SA, it's not the case. This is not the Mod...

It'll still be more of an inconvenience than anything. The biggest threat is other players, plinking someone and then looting their corpse after you loop around a couple times with zombies is always going to be the way to go. That or just pop them and run for fun.

I agree with Heav, people just find ways to avoid zombies and keep killing.

If anything, more zombies is often more of an inconvenience for the victim rather than the killer.  A typical scenario is a bandit in a high place just popping dudes, zombies aren't a big issue and anyone trying to return fire on the ground is both going to attract zombies to themselves, giving them away and also have to deal with the constant inconvenience.

Heck in the mod I used to try to attract a ton of zombies to the base of my building as a defense.  In the SA they climb ladders (some times) but who's going to have the harder time still?  The guy who can just bop them as they come up a ladder or the guy on the ground?

People who complain about pvp seem to think pvpers are dumb or something, typically people who like to pvp in dayz are the ones who understand the game the best.  Both in terms of mechanics and philosophy imo.

I agree too that zombies is more of an inconvenience for the victim rather than the killer. And now in 0.55, players will move even slower in order to be stealth, it is very easy to kill such players and then run from zombies....

first and last this game is survival. I personally can't wait to sit in the woods and watch you tools shoot guns and get shredded by zeds. i hope they keep raising the numbers of zeds each patch as well i want to fear the cities. i'm sure there will be more killing honestly because i see things as becoming more rare such as canned food and ammo and as of now i see alot of videos where guys would rather PVP than get healthy i've seen them literally starve there characters nearly to death because they are to busy camping a house shooting folks... i hope your days are done and that you are forced to think twice about doing that stupid shit. blah blah different playstyles i don't give a shit screw your PVP way of playing.

• Like 1

It always went

yes yes i do if they are done correctly and are as nasty as zeds would be in say 28 days later and if ammo and weapons are more rare bet your damn ass it'll make a difference because you asshats that shoot at everything will get mobbed and eaten what i hope is they add a grab mechanic to the zeds as well as a health buff so they take more damage. if you want to kill a man it should require skill it should not just be a lol type of thing it should become a calculated risk to shoot a weapon and get into an engagement. i'm sure the public sewer servers will still full of asshats as usual so i don't really care in the end honestly i can find servers to match what i look for in survival so enjoy your PVP TDM douchebag convention.

enjoy your PVP TDM douchebag convention.

The only time the game was not a "TDM douchebag convention" was at the very start when people were running around with revolvers and nobody knew what to do so we all clumped up in big packs.

The people who don't shoot others as soon as they see them will stay the same.

The people who shoot others regardless of wanting something from the corpse will still shoot.

I'm going ti give my non-subjjective opinion o. This. this game cant handle 1 zombie and i think the devs are being irrational and adding hordes, because when you go to hude in a buildig, not only that 1 will hack its self thru the wall but 200 will. Then you'll be in this cluster fuck of 200 zombie in a gas station.... And currently im having troubles killing one zombie and or even getting away with it, espically with a melee, if your staring a new life and you find 200 zombies what the fuck are you going to do. You canmt run because the zombies run as fast as you, you cat hide the zombies with magic well come thru walls, thzombies see thru walls with xray vision, if you try to fist fight em the other 199 will kill you in one secound. I think the devs are rushing this game by making it worse, they need to fix the zombies before adding other zombie features I love the fact that there are zombies but that yur pretty much skrewed. I do agree Dayz is turbung into call of duty and we do need to make zombies primary but not when its a cluster fuck. Also please fix the dying from falling 1 feet, i lost everythng, also diving into water also. Anither thing thay i would love to be fixed is the optimization ifs horrible i get 15 fps on my brand new 750 dollar PC on lowest settings,

Right now I can run 100 meters away from a town, and get zombie agro. They dont even half(I think you meant "have") to see you and they will agro. 

You have said this multiple times in this thread but it is by no means true. I've bypassed numerous zombies at less than 100 yards simply by watching them and knowing where they are facing and being quiet. Heck I have moved up to zombies, rushed the last few feat when they finally notice me and start to turn and taken them out with melee before they could turn fully around. I've also taken out hundreds of them with bows which are silent enough to not aggro any of the others and you have to be about 30 feet away to hit most things with a bow. MP5 or Pistol with a suppressor works fairly well too, you just need to be certain there are not multiples closer than 50 feet from each other.

They also don't tend to see you through walls, they see you through windows. Unfortunately once they have spotted you, even a glimpse then they seem to know where you are no matter if they still have LoS or not until you are out of their aggro range. Now, that isn't always true, just usually. I have managed to wait out a zombie that was stalking me after closing the doors on them. Eventually they forgot about not being able to reach me because I moved silently when I did move and didn't give them any more glimpses of me. I was then able to slip out the back and slip away without further agro.