Tatanko

Tatanko's Spring BBQ

Tricky one, but after much deliberation I voted private.  There are pros and cons to both, but my biggest concern about using a public server is that any group of geared bandits could just hop in behind security mid-event and cause chaos.  On a private server that's still possible, but it's less likely.

Also, people are probably more protective of their public character and gear than a new character on a private server (assuming it's unlikely that many will already have a geared character on whichever server is chosen).

Very good points, and I would agree with you. The only real advantage of using a public server is accessibility. Given enough notice, gathering supplies in advance doesn't have to be difficult, and I've built that window of time into this process to eliminate that as an issue regardless of whether we go public or private.

If we do go with a private shard, someone (or some group) will need to volunteer to host it. Any takers? :)

The vote is now skewed towards a private shard. I'll let it go on until tomorrow, and then I'll make a decision.

Assuming it stays in favor of private, anyone have a server to host it or know of someone who might?

I would like you join the BBQ!

I have not voted, don't care if it is private or public...

but if it is private can you post the server name in advance so I can prepare..

lime

pumpkin seeds

water bottles

ect

ect

and maybe a possible direction it will be held... eg, be on east shore, or be on north east shore.  I know you will not say the location, but at least an area close by so I can log out near it.

thanks

Public server gives you the chance to bring in total randoms that would really enjoy the experience. Maybe try to kidnap those not already on the island? That would be a treat. I'm in.

If you go the private route, I'd suggest Musty.

A handful of forum members frequent, besides it's got very competent moderators and admins (<3 you steakums) who've got a firm grip on any kind of hackers.

• Like 3

evening/night server... flares at sun down!

I would like you join the BBQ!

I have not voted, don't care if it is private or public...

but if it is private can you post the server name in advance so I can prepare..

lime

pumpkin seeds

water bottles

ect

ect

and maybe a possible direction it will be held... eg, be on east shore, or be on north east shore.  I know you will not say the location, but at least an area close by so I can log out near it.

thanks

I'll give notice as soon as a server is determined, I promise!

Public server gives you the chance to bring in total randoms that would really enjoy the experience. Maybe try to kidnap those not already on the island? That would be a treat. I'm in.

Very good point.

If you go the private route, I'd suggest Musty.

A handful of forum members frequent, besides it's got very competent moderators and admins (<3 you steakums) who've got a firm grip on any kind of hackers.

Very good point also. That's several votes for their server. Are they whitelisted? I know many of them and yet I've never played on that server  :(

evening/night server... flares at sun down!

Absolutely. "Flare gun fireworks show" is already on the list :)

A server has been chosen! Although in the last few days the poll has begun to skew towards a public server, ultimately the decision was made to go private. I'm pleased to announce that Musty Gaming has stepped up to host this event on one of their servers for us. They run an excellent pair of 1PP & 3PP servers that share a hive, so go give them a look and get your personal supplies gathered before the event next Saturday.

I will personally try and gather items ahead of time that I think we will need a lot of, for example: flare gun rounds. If anyone wants to volunteer to gather anything in particular, let me know. The server has persistence turned off, so stashing things won't be possible. If we want trucks at the event for races, it would be helpful (as Steak pointed out) to have people "park" their characters near truck spawn areas to try and grab one and bring it to the event.

• Like 3

So quick question. I have a pub fully gear character and if I'm joining this private, I won't loss my pub character right?

So quick question. I have a pub fully gear character and if I'm joining this private, I won't loss my pub character right?

Correct, your public hive character remains as is when you return to the public hive (untouched), a new character for this specific private hive will be created upon log in for you, which you can use back and forth between the EU/US servers for looting.

Edited by Steak and Potatoes
  • Like 2

Since this is the Musty Hive, I may be the only bush wookie there.

If there is any kind of infighting, I'm sure I'll be the first to get whacked :P

• Like 2

Correct, your public hive character remains as is when you return to the public hive (untouched), a new character for this specific private hive will be created upon log in for you, which you can use back and forth between the EU/US servers for looting.

THANKS.i guess since I am stuck inside a rock while wait for help to clear it!

• Like 1

THANKS.i guess since I am stuck inside a rock while wait for help to clear it!

Are you stuck in a rock on our hive?  Send me a pm I'll come ram you out with a truck :).

• Like 2

A server has been chosen! Although in the last few days the poll has begun to skew towards a public server, ultimately the decision was made to go private. I'm pleased to announce that Musty Gaming has stepped up to host this event on one of their servers for us. They run an excellent pair of 1PP & 3PP servers that share a hive, so go give them a look and get your personal supplies gathered before the event next Saturday.

I will personally try and gather items ahead of time that I think we will need a lot of, for example: flare gun rounds. If anyone wants to volunteer to gather anything in particular, let me know. The server has persistence turned off, so stashing things won't be possible. If we want trucks at the event for races, it would be helpful (as Steak pointed out) to have people "park" their characters near truck spawn areas to try and grab one and bring it to the event.

good! i'll gather some suplies for the event. ammo for your security team (you got one right?), bottled water, maybe some fish or meat, flares...  my charcacters name is jimmy bongwater don't shoot me :P

• Like 1

good! i'll gather some suplies for the event. ammo for your security team (you got one right?), bottled water, maybe some fish or meat, flares...  my charcacters name is jimmy bongwater don't shoot me :P

I got my own character established last night and I'm going to begin collecting as many flare rounds as I possibly can. Everyone should bring a stack with them, though. I definitely encourage you to bring raw meat along to cook, and preferably some kvass to share :)

60237607.jpg

• Like 3

Here are a couple ideas for your event.

Cover charge: To enter everyone should bring a backpack filled with party items (chem lights, cans of bacon, flares, other items needed for activities)

Old west gunfight with flare guns

Boxing tournament

Scavenger hunt (randomly place backpacks with notes giving clues to next location)

Climbing races (ladders, rocks, any dangerous surface with potential for injury)

Shot put competition

Capture the flag  or  smear the queer (keep away) using backpacks and stun batons

Bat fights (only leg hits) must wear motorcycle helmets

Fire walking (barefoot)

Lay down and roll relay race (this should make the avatar operator want to puke)

Here are a couple ideas for your event.

Cover charge: To enter everyone should bring a backpack filled with party items (chem lights, cans of bacon, flares, other items needed for activities)

Old west gunfight with flare guns

Boxing tournament

Scavenger hunt (randomly place backpacks with notes giving clues to next location)

Climbing races (ladders, rocks, any dangerous surface with potential for injury)

Shot put competition

Capture the flag  or  smear the queer (keep away) using backpacks and stun batons

Bat fights (only leg hits) must wear motorcycle helmets

Fire walking (barefoot)

Lay down and roll relay race (this should make the avatar operator want to puke)

Some good ideas there :) I don't think a cover charge is totally in the spirit of including everyone, but it is my hope that everyone will show up with items to contribute to the party. Let's see what we can do about making some of your other ideas happen, though!

Already have a six-pack of kvass and 12 flare rounds picked up. Need a lot more flare rounds, though!

6vVoVlm.jpg

• Like 1

damnit sounds like a blast! unfortunately i'll be going to see gilbert gottfried doing standup that night! will there be a summer fest?

damnit sounds like a blast! unfortunately i'll be going to see gilbert gottfried doing standup that night! will there be a summer fest?

Absolutely! As long as there is interest, I intend to hold events like this every few months. You have to attend one at some point; events like these are some of the most fun you can have in DayZ :)

Couple more ideas,

Burlap sack on head and coached by team mate through obstacle course

Zombie magnet. Who can get the most zombies to chase them

Lumberjack competition. Cut and carry the most wood in a set time

Roshambo using  F1 (wave), F4 (finger), or F7 (thumb) in place of rock paper scissors

Meat hunting competition. Who can come back with the most steaks

Civil war. Only guns that require magazines but no magazines allowed. Must reload after each shot, only given 10 rounds

• Like 1

Will the server be reserved only for us, or will there still be other people?

As of now, it will be "open". That's still up for debate however, as the server is often sitting at 50/50 during peak hours.

This would be amazing, ironically the 21st of March is my birthday.

We can sing happy birthday if you want :p Unfortunately I don't know that we'll have a good substitute for cake, but you can have a kvass on me!

Will you host another event like a 4th of July special, summer vacation celebration, or other ones.

Yes, for sure. With the next event, I'll be open to suggestions on the date/time.