Sign in to follow this  
blunce

The community's view of being able to respawn while unconscious?

In my opinion, being able to respawn the moment you fall unconscious is detracting from certain aspects of gameplay.

One of the biggest issues I have with this mechanic, is that torture/interrogation methods are effected by it.

If I have someone handcuffed, & they're screaming & making an abundance of noise in-game in hopes that someone will hear them, I should be able to knock them unconscious to silence them, without them being able to "escape" the situation by respawning.

It can be an issue before said player is even handcuffed. Sometimes I just want to immobilize a player without fatally shooting them, breaking their legs, or them being able to take the easy way out by respawning.

In the event that my hostage is non-compliant with me handcuffing them, I do shoot them in the leg to immobilize them to then try & handcuff them. But now I'm faced with the problem of them crawling & spamming Q & E so that they keep moving & I can never successfully apply the handcuffs.

I wouldn't have this issue if I could simply knock them unconscious, knowing that they can't respawn, handcuffing them, & waiting for them to return to consciousness.

I think that clicking "respawn" the second you fall unconscious is a bit habitual for some players at this point too. They assume that they're done for & just don't want to wait.

I also understand that it can sometimes take ages to actually regain consciousness, so, I think it would be sensible to add a 3, maybe 5 minute timer to your unconscious state before you can click respawn, in the event that you've lost so much blood that you're practically comatose.

Thoughts on this?

I'd also like to hear how the lack of an unconscious-state respawn timer has effected some of you guys' gameplay as well.

Edited by blunce
  • Like 13

Agreed...there should be a timer for respawn when unconscious

I was thinking about this the other day...when I was clicking respawn while unconscious B)

Completely true, take my beans  :beans:  :beans:  :beans:

I had a private server character that was unconscious for a long time, not even sure how long, but it was hours. I got knocked in the head with a fire extinguisher, while laying there the guy said he was going to go find a knife, come back and eat me. I came too, and was able to make it away, thought it was a good time to try stitching, still not sure what that does, got sick, and collapsed again. In my free time I would just fire it up and lay there, never came too though. I'm thinking it was around two hours +.

3 to 5 minutes, that's nothing, it would allow for some fun in that time, as long as we could wake them, that's the other issue, pour water, epi, others?  So, it is only helpful if you can wake them too. Right now it wouldn't make much sense, until full medical system is in or close.

But, full game absolutely.

Edited by Coheed_IV

-snip-

I agree Blunce.. its rather cheap, but in an early access game, perhaps its necessary while there are nasty bugs still present? 

Full Disclaimer: I've used it before when trying to get a "better" spawn.

Edited by lrish

I had a private server character that was unconscious for a long time, not even sure how long, but it was hours. I got knocked in the head with a fire extinguisher, while laying there the guy said he was going to go find a knife, come back and eat me. I came too, and was able to make it away, thought it was a good time to try stitching, still not sure what that does, got sick, and collapsed again. In my free time I would just fire it up and lay there, never came too though. I'm thinking it was around two hours +.

3 to 5 minutes, that's nothing, it would allow for some fun in that time, as long as we could wake them, that's the other issue, pour water, epi, others?  So, it is only helpful if you can wake them too. Right now it wouldn't make much sense, until full medical system is in or close.

But, full game absolutely.

2+ hours? Wow man, bless your soul. lol

But of course you would be able to wake the unconscious player with epi &/or other forms of medical treatment (defib, saline, bloodbag, etc.)

The 3-5 minute timer would mean that said player can't click respawn until their character has been unconscious for that amount of time.

I think you may be misinterpreting just a little bit.  :huh:

but in an early access game, perhaps its necessary while there are nasty bugs still present? 

Well yes, of course that holds true. But it would be sort of like when the devs added a time penalty for how frequently one would server hop.

Good to hear from you btw you fuck.  :P

Edited by blunce

Having been gunned down,unconscious, woken up, gunned down, again, woken up a second time, and killed the guy. (once, then I died) I never respawn myself when I go unconscious. It does seem like a habit of most people, wich is a bit sad.

Personally, I'd rather gun somebody down, apply bandage, tape them up, take some of their stuff, leave them with some extra peaches to regain energy and a note saying thanks for the fight, and then clear the f out of there.

I would like a timer of about 5 minutes until you can respawn, since the button basically makes it so that when you go down, you just give up.
I can understand that some players might take the game a little bit more personally than I do, and become proper irked at the thought of being kidnapped, beaten, forced to eat rotten fruit etc. or simply they want to go down the BF road and respawn to get back to it.

But the parts of the game being missed because of the respawn mashing is (to me atleast) grounds for a timer. 

a short list.

1; that glorious comeback, when you alive, they don't think it be like it is.. but it DO.

2; that player interaction.
3; that non-BF feel
4; patience, you will learn it.

• Like 2

I think you may be misinterpreting just a little bit.  :huh:

Oh no, I wasn't condoning making people wait as long as I have. :D  I would like the 3-5 minute timer, shouldn't bother anyone, they're unconscious that's the point. If it's not in-game at release or atleast a hardcore or server option, I would be surprised. Right?

But, right now its not really needed.

Edited by Coheed_IV

Good to see you are still around blunce.

I think we should have the option for a slap in a face to koed players to wake em up.

This would also be good fun to bitch slap people....

That and dumping water bottle on em

But, right now its not really needed.

This I can agree with. Definitely once the game is more optimized & once any bugs that contribute to one falling unconscious are squashed.

Good to see you are still around blunce.

I think we should have the option for a slap in a face to koed players to wake em up.

This would also be good fun to bitch slap people....

That and dumping water bottle on em

Thanks Trev.  :) You as well.

I'm always accepting of any viable method of waking someone up in-game. We've already got defib, epi-pen, CPR, why not some face-slapping & water splashing as well.  :D

On a related note, true story: I once watched a buddy of mine faint right before my eyes. Splashed water in his face & he awoke.

Water is OP.

Edited by blunce

When we were kids we would play this game where u breath heavily and then two people suddenly press u up against the wall. it make u pass out.

Many times have i had water splashed on my face for that game

When we were kids we would play this game where u breath heavily and then two people suddenly press u up against the wall. it make u pass out.

Many times have i had water splashed on my face for that game

That's kind of thing they teach you not to do as a kid man. lol

I would support a small timer which has to fully countdown before you can hit respawn.

I would also support the idea of more non lethal weapons such as pepper spray so we can take hostages without having to shoot them with bullets to make them comply.
And a megaphone so we can scream out bandit demands from a distance.

• Like 1

It would be kind of pointless since they could just quit. I know I personally wouldn't do that (unless it went on for 60+ mins) but quitting would lead to the same result as respawning. 

It's a game. This is like asking for more realism in game. Those people want it to be as real as possible but never complain that a split from sticks and a rag instantly heal a broken limb.

In my opinion, being able to respawn the moment you fall unconscious is detracting from certain aspects of gameplay.

One of the biggest issues I have with this mechanic, is that torture/interrogation methods are effected by it.

If I have someone handcuffed, & they're screaming & making an abundance of noise in-game in hopes that someone will hear them, I should be able to knock them unconscious to silence them, without them being able to "escape" the situation by respawning.

It can be an issue before said player is even handcuffed. Sometimes I just want to immobilize a player without fatally shooting them, breaking their legs, or them being able to take the easy way out by respawning.

In the event that my hostage is non-compliant with me handcuffing them, I do shoot them in the leg to immobilize them to then try & handcuff them. But now I'm faced with the problem of them crawling & spamming Q & E so that they keep moving & I can never successfully apply the handcuffs.

I wouldn't have this issue if I could simply knock them unconscious, knowing that they can't respawn, handcuffing them, & waiting for them to return to consciousness.

I think that clicking "respawn" the second you fall unconscious is a bit habitual for some players at this point too. They assume that they're done for & just don't want to wait.

I also understand that it can sometimes take ages to actually regain consciousness, so, I think it would be sensible to add a 3, maybe 5 minute timer to your unconscious state before you can click respawn, in the event that you've lost so much blood that you're practically comatose.

Thoughts on this?

I'd also like to hear how the lack of an unconscious-state respawn timer has effected some of you guys' gameplay as well.

Great idea.

Now, I want an hidden MP5-K holdout with a "death-blossom" switch I can use just before you knock me unconscious for five minutes.

Because not realism, fair's fair and everyone wins a prize..

Thoughts on this?

I agree, there should be a timer of at least two minutes, and perhaps make it impossible to respawn when your blood is at a level where you will wake up within five minutes.

Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling. There are rules.

It should not be a option to re-spawn while unconscious. You should have to wait out until you are dead due to bleeding out and such. It makes taking people hostage more difficult because they won't cooperate while alive and re-spawn as soon as they are unconscious.

i honestly think you should be able to respawn as much as you like. there's way too much in this game about trying to stop people from doing X Y or Z.

i think that once you have a gun and one bullet you should be able to kill yourself. i've found a revolver with 1 round of .357 before. sometimes it'd be good to end it and start a fresh spawn. that'd be the hardcore version of respawning imho, but respawning while unconscious is a big thing. what happens if i get stuck in a barn at the side of the map and break my legs with no morphine or splint? 

there was a guy posting on the forums with this very issue yesterday. he was stuck on the prison island and ended up having to get somebody to come kill him. i honestly think that if you get a sudden leg break while not in combat you should ALWAYS have the respawn option right away, let alone unconsciousness. 

perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if you could see something while unconscious, even if that makes no sense. 

Kinda in line with the topic. But if log out while being restrained you should only die if you server hop. If you log back on the same server you should still be restrained. It gives people a easy way out that they always take. I'm one of the few people who actually try to survive when taken hostage. Of course that only happened once, and had I had a weapon at the time I would not have been the one in handcuffs. :P

Changed my mind on this idea, dead while logging while being restrained works for me. Being able to log and live on the same server would lead to people logging until they buddies are their to bail them out unless their was some sort of timer.

Edited by Foolee

It's a game. This is like asking for more realism in game. Those people want it to be as real as possible but never complain that a split from sticks and a rag instantly heal a broken limb.

You're right, it is a game. It's an early access game that I'm investing my time & money in to help the development process. Therefore, here I am putting in my constructive criticism. The splint fixing a broken leg is a place holder. That's common knowledge amongst this community. No point in tackling that right now. This isn't in regard to realism, it's in regard to balance & fair play.

i honestly think you should be able to respawn as much as you like. there's way too much in this game about trying to stop people from doing X Y or Z.

i think that once you have a gun and one bullet you should be able to kill yourself. i've found a revolver with 1 round of .357 before. sometimes it'd be good to end it and start a fresh spawn. that'd be the hardcore version of respawning imho, but respawning while unconscious is a big thing. what happens if i get stuck in a barn at the side of the map and break my legs with no morphine or splint? 

there was a guy posting on the forums with this very issue yesterday. he was stuck on the prison island and ended up having to get somebody to come kill him. i honestly think that if you get a sudden leg break while not in combat you should ALWAYS have the respawn option right away, let alone unconsciousness. 

perhaps it wouldn't be so bad if you could see something while unconscious, even if that makes no sense.

You can respawn with a gun & a single bullet. Put the gun in your hand, press F11, & pull the trigger.

If you're stuck with a broken leg in a remote location, crawl until you've found something to fix your leg, until someone helps you, or until you die. That's part of the game.

Another option is to come on here, & request medical assistant. 99% of the time you'll get a respawn.

The sudden leg break is a bug, which will be fixed.

You suggesting to be able to respawn at any giving time would do nothing but promote combat logging to an uncontrollable extent.

Absolutely not.

You're right, it is a game. It's an early access game that I'm investing my time & money in to help the development process. Therefore, here I am putting in my constructive criticism. The splint fixing a broken leg is a place holder. That's common knowledge amongst this community. No point in tackling that right now. This isn't in regard to realism, it's in regard to balance & fair play.

You can respawn with a gun & a single bullet. Put the gun in your hand, press F11, & pull the trigger.

If you're stuck with a broken leg in a remote location, crawl until you've found something to fix your leg, until someone helps you, or until you die. That's part of the game.

Another option is to come on here, & request medical assistant. 99% of the time you'll get a respawn.

The sudden leg break is a bug, which will be fixed.

You suggesting to be able to respawn at any giving time would do nothing but promote combat logging to an uncontrollable extent.

Absolutely not.

why not make dead bodies persistent? don't people already stay for a few seconds after they log off anyway? 

why not make dead bodies persistent? don't people already stay for a few seconds after they log off anyway? 

Don't derail this thread please.

So far my characters have never been handcuffed and/or tortured and i surely would hit "respawn" if i had the chance in that kind of situation.

It's a game and it is supposed to be entertaining and i wouldn't enjoy being knocked unconscious, woken up after 3 min just to get knocked unconscious

again and after 3 min....as this could go on without end and without being able to respawn at all if you would use some mechanism like a simple timer.

I agree that this would give you a tiny taste of how it is to be tortured and to be at someones mercy but i think you guys should be content with your

possibilities that are already in the game (like forcefeeding, poisoning, restraining) when it comes to doing weird stuff to other players.

Edited by Bruderlos