Sign in to follow this  
OoohShiny

Be a hero...

Ive started carrying road flares with me, and every time i loot a dangerous place i leave a road flare behind, so everyone knows somebody has been there short ago -

I appreaciate more tipps to make this world a better place for others :3

Edited by OoohShiny
  • Like 5

Why?  They will find out someone has been through when they find the place looted... How exactly is that "making the world a better place for others"?

Also, that isn't being a hero. Being a hero is helping other players selflessly. Giving an injured player medical assistance. Giving out food somewhere. Saving them from infected. Not giving them a false feeling of paranoia.

what? The stuff you are listing is like not heroish. Its like "normal-ish". Only because most people in DayZ are assholes doesnt mean acting like a decent human being suddenly becomes heroish. And dropping flares in supermarkets or hospitals or whatever is showing people that they dont need to try ot get into the building, which are usually places where people wait for you and shoot you.

what? The stuff you are listing is like not heroish. Its like "normal-ish". Only because most people in DayZ are assholes doesnt mean acting like a decent human being suddenly becomes heroish. And dropping flares in supermarkets or hospitals or whatever is showing people that they dont need to try ot get into the building, which are usually places where people wait for you and shoot you.

Yes, being selfless in this game makes you a hero, especially when everyone else is being a cock-mongler.

How, exactly, are you helping other players again? 

" DUDE I TOTALLY SAVED UR LIFE BY LEAVIN A FLARE THER!" -Took all the rest of the loot in the hospital/grocery store-

vs 

"Here, I've got a splint for your broken leg. Have some food and water as well. Try to avoid going up stairs, there is a pretty bad glitch"

• Like 2

Yes, being selfless in this game makes you a hero, especially when everyone else is being a cock-mongler.

" DUDE I TOTALLY SAVED UR LIFE BY LEAVIN A FLARE THER!" -Took all the rest of the loot in the hospital/grocery store-

vs 

"Here, I've got a splint for your broken leg. Have some food and water as well. Try to avoid going up stairs, there is a pretty bad glitch"

What this guy said.

vs 

Why not both? oO

Edited by OoohShiny

Why not both? oO

Because flares are ambiguous in their meaning. Unless you know the guy who dropped it, you don't know if it's a warning, bait, or something else.

Helping someone with a splint when their leg is broken is unambiguous, and further more puts yourself in jeopardy in order to help them.

A lot of my friends have taken DayZ break waiting for the next content filled update. When I play with them, we're usually bandits through and through.

However I have taken up the hero business lately, and it's quite fun. I take a defensive weapon, something none too threatening. Then I dress casually, but with a large pack. Then I fill it to the brim with medical supplies, food, water, and assorted knick-knacks. Then I head south to help the good people of Chernarus ;)

Quite fulfilling experience. I'm actually surprised how many friendlies I've met.

• Like 1

Because flares are ambiguous in their meaning. Unless you know the guy who dropped it, you don't know if it's a warning, bait, or something else.

Helping someone with a splint when their leg is broken is unambiguous, and further more puts yourself in jeopardy in order to help them.

In every case it means "you better not enter" right? So its excactly what i suggest.

In every case it means "you better not enter" right? So its excactly what i suggest.

Still isn't helping people. Any asshole can drop something/set something up to warn people away, even inadvertently. What are you giving up to help others?

Still isn't helping people. Any asshole can drop something/set something up to warn people away, even inadvertently. What are you giving up to help others?

a real hero doesnt just help people. He protects them - if i enter a highly dangerous building and drop a flare signaling everybody that this building right now is not worth it, it may save lifes. Running around throwing food at people doesnt help neither - like anybody will have a lack of food. Maybe at the coast because you start at "hungry", but in the end, it is "cute" at best, not really changing anything. protecting lifes is what makes the difference. And this is one step.

Running around throwing stuff at people of which is plenty is not sacrificial at all.

Edited by OoohShiny

What is a "highly dangerous building"? Grocery stores and hospitals? Not....really.  And, by your own admission, it "may save lives". MAY. MAYMAY.

Definition of "May": c —used to indicate possibility or probability

So, you aren't even "protecting" people by dropping a lit flare in a "dangerous" (snort) building. It doesn't even take much (read: any at all) effort to do so. The "heroism" of an action is pretty much proportional to the risk you undertake in order to do so. You aren't putting yourself at risk to help the other players by dropping a lit flare.

While, on the other hand, giving a starving player some food, or saving them from infected or bandits, or giving them medical assistance, is a selfless action undertaken at often great personal risk. What you are doing is little more than offering directions in a roundabout, ambiguous method.

I really don't think you understand what "selflessness" means.....

I routinely break chem lights and flares, also lighting gas lamps and stoves and such. I leave a trail of terror behind me... to be honest I don't know why. Maybe it's something like when a dog pees to mark it's territory, maybe it's the amusement I'm trying to give others of letting them know someone was recently there. Maybe it's just the final acts of a survivor in Chenarus trying to provide fleeting evidence of their existence...

• Like 3

What is a "highly dangerous building"? Grocery stores and hospitals? Not....really.  And, by your own admission, it "may save lives". MAY. MAYMAY.

Definition of "May": c —used to indicate possibility or probability

So, you aren't even "protecting" people by dropping a lit flare in a "dangerous" (snort) building. It doesn't even take much (read: any at all) effort to do so. The "heroism" of an action is pretty much proportional to the risk you undertake in order to do so. You aren't putting yourself at risk to help the other players by dropping a lit flare.

While, on the other hand, giving a starving player some food, or saving them from infected or bandits, or giving them medical assistance, is a selfless action undertaken at often great personal risk. What you are doing is little more than offering directions in a roundabout, ambiguous method.

I really don't think you understand what "selflessness" means.....

I dont get why your picture of "hero" is so connected to your view of "selflessness" - your kind actions have the only risk that the guy who you help shoots you. Your food, your drinks, your medical assistance is worth nothing, since there is no lack of it.

You just take care that somebodys bag becomes bit quicker full than usual. Thats not heroic.

I agree with you on the point of saving from infected or bandits. THIS is real danger. And here are we again on the point of "protection" - if dropping a flare somewhere indicates that a player can skip this building to save time and/or save his life and/or scare off bandits, its worth WAY more than your rag. Which is essentially nothing, since the only player needing food are fresh spawns, and well, it doesnt really matter if they die. Taking care of the good folks running around for a longer while as good as possible is worth way more.

Personally, when being a hero, I prefer to roleplay as a member of the salvation army.

Of course, by the salvation army, I mean my own organization which incidentally has the same name as the charitable organization. It consists of running around preaching about how you can be saved if you give yourself over to your zombie overlords. Sinners (bandits) get a shortcut with a bullet to the head and freshies get a ration of food and medical supplies. Of course, they use them to follow my advice and make their way to the nearest zombie to die... Right?

I also decided to be nice to a freshie and supply him with a full ghillie suit that I'd made and didn't want any more... Not sure if it was such a heroic act, however, as I'm pretty sure the guy I killed later for sniping people in Elektro was him... So yeah.

Edited by Beizs

vs 

Wow....

Let the guy leave his flares and try to help people. Jesus lol. If that's the way he wants to help people, go ahead. Let him.

There is not one or two ways to be a "Hero" in this game. 

I know I'll think twice when I see a flare in the doorway. Why not? Maybe doing so will unknowingly keep me safe in some scenario. 

Seriously...this feels to me like someone came to their parents with a really awesome painting they did in art class and then the dad slams it on the floor and yells, "THIS IS NOTHING LIKE VAN GOGH'S WORK!"

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 5

Wow....

Let the guy leave his flares and try to help people. Jesus lol. If that's the way he wants to help people, go ahead. Let him.

There is not one or two ways to be a "Hero" in this game. 

I know I'll think twice when I see a flare in the doorway. Why not? Maybe doing so will unknowingly keep me safe in some scenario. 

Seriously...this feels to me like someone came to their parents with a really awesome painting they did in art class and then the dad slams it on the floor and yells, "THIS IS NOTHING LIKE VAN GOGH'S WORK!"

1) He isn't helping anyone. If he is, the actual help received is incidental, and probably not related to his dropping a flare. If anything, what is more likely to happen: people avoid the building because there is a flare, or people gravitate towards the building because there is a flare? Nothing screams "SOMETHING INTERESTING HAPPENED/HAPPENING" like an obvious sign of player presence. 

2) I know how to be a hero. I listed several methods. He apparently thought they weren't good enough, and preferred his useless-and-probably-harmful form of ego-boosting. Doing something minor to (maybe) help someone in the future does not make you a hero. Seeing someone in your sights and not shooting does not make you a hero. Letting someone know a building has already been looted does not make you a hero. Taking out those bandits killing freshspawns on the beach makes you a hero. Leaving a note in a location that says "Hey guys, there wasn't much here. If you need food or medical supplies, go to X and you will find a stash" is ...partially a heroic act. Running into a city engulfed in a firefight in order to rescue someone who asked for help on the forums is a heroic act.

Hey, if he feels like he is helping people, no skin off my back. I just don't like how apparently ANYTHING that has the possibility of a positive outcome is now a "heroic act". I, rather obviously, disagree.

Edited by Whyherro123
  • Like 2

Gonna do a test on this flare thing. I play a lot of Arma II / III and as we all know DayZ has a considerable amount of crossed over / similar / re-worked engine routines etc. The one thing I know about Arma is that if I say, blow up a tank and see it burning. I can watch it burn for 10 minutes or so - and then the fire finally dies out. 

However. If I blow up a tank and leave the area prior to the fire burning out and later return to the area 1 hour or so later. Guess what? The fire is still burning. It seems the burn routine needs to run it's course (while you or someone else are present) until it's finished and then it's deleted. So if a tree falls in the forest and there is nobody there to hear it ...etc etc etc.

My theory is....it's the same deal with flares. They have a burn lifespan. They deplete if you are there to observe it but not if you aren't. 

I will test this :)

But leaving one on the floor to let others know you have been there? If I saw a flare burning I would be very cautious. Some players are drawn to bright lights like a moth to a flame. Not me.

Why?  They will find out someone has been through when they find the place looted... How exactly is that "making the world a better place for others"?

Also, that isn't being a hero. Being a hero is helping other players selflessly. Giving an injured player medical assistance. Giving out food somewhere. Saving them from infected. Not giving them a false feeling of paranoia.

Hero:

Superman_0002.jpg

DayZ "hero":

study-lonely-consumers-are-wasting-money

• Like 4

I do not dare do that. If I was walking in a large town like electro (especially at night) I am always alert. If I see a road flare, I will turn on "Enhanced Mode" and walk around ready to blast someones skull in with my .357. Don't let that skull be yours.

If you want to help, go on a daytime server, hang around the coast, and give bambies clothes with food in them.

Giving players a false sense of paranoia, or leading them to another hostile player (by dropping a flare and leaving) you just set them up for death,.

The overall message; not a good method. Well, it is a good method if you wish to get killed.

Stick to looting jailhouses on full servers.

~Sincerely, Quentin.

Edited by therandomredstone
  • Like 1

1) He isn't helping anyone. If he is, the actual help received is incidental, and probably not related to his dropping a flare. If anything, what is more likely to happen: people avoid the building because there is a flare, or people gravitate towards the building because there is a flare? Nothing screams "SOMETHING INTERESTING HAPPENED/HAPPENING" like an obvious sign of player presence. 

2) I know how to be a hero. I listed several methods. He apparently thought they weren't good enough, and preferred his useless-and-probably-harmful form of ego-boosting. Doing something minor to (maybe) help someone in the future does not make you a hero. Seeing someone in your sights and not shooting does not make you a hero. Letting someone know a building has already been looted does not make you a hero. Taking out those bandits killing freshspawns on the beach makes you a hero. Leaving a note in a location that says "Hey guys, there wasn't much here. If you need food or medical supplies, go to X and you will find a stash" is ...partially a heroic act. Running into a city engulfed in a firefight in order to rescue someone who asked for help on the forums is a heroic act.

Jesus...and I thought i was a dick.

Well, if it helps YOUR ego and to give you a better night's sleep to trash his idea of trying to help people, go for it. I don't think it's the best idea either, but it's something fun to consider. Next time I go into a building and see a road flare placed in the door, maybe OP was there, and saves me some time. Or maybe I'm running up to a town and see a couple road flares positioned in the road. Cool. Now I can simply run past this town as it's probably been looted.

It's not about what you DO that makes you a "hero" (the idea of "heroes" in this game is hilarious to me) sometimes being a hero can be the smallest thing or the thought behind an act.

For example, you don't have to save someone's life or be a cop or serve in the military and save a buddy in a firefight to be a hero. Sometimes being a hero can be the littlest thing, like reading a book to some kids in a homeless shelter or giving a friend a ride who really needs it. In OP's case, it's trying to help other people out with roadflares in a videogame to maybe save them some time or maybe alert them to danger. I know this sounds like a hallmark card or something but come on...this is like, grade three stuff you learn about heroes, here.

Clearly shiny is trying to be kind and go out of his way to be nice in his own way, and for you to sit there and shit on him for it is kind of asshole-ish. Just because it's not what YOU think being a "hero" in this game is doesn't not make him one.

Edited by DeatHTaX
  • Like 4

Jesus...and I thought i was a dick.

Well, if it helps YOUR ego and to give you a better night's sleep to trash his idea of trying to help people, go for it. I don't think it's the best idea either, but it's something fun to consider. Next time I go into a building and see a road flare placed in the door, maybe OP was there, and saves me some time. Or maybe I'm running up to a town and see a couple road flares positioned in the road. Cool. Now I can simply run past this town as it's probably been looted.

It's not about what you DO that makes you a "hero" (the idea of "heroes" in this game is hilarious to me) sometimes being a hero can be the smallest thing or the thought behind an act.

For example, you don't have to save someone's life or be a cop or serve in the military and save a buddy in a firefight to be a hero. Sometimes being a hero can be the littlest thing, like reading a book to some kids in a homeless shelter or giving a friend a ride who really needs it. In OP's case, it's trying to help other people out with roadflares in a videogame to maybe save them some time or maybe alert them to danger. I know this sounds like a hallmark card or something but come on...this is like, grade three stuff you learn about heroes, here.

Clearly shiny is trying to be kind and go out of his way to be nice in his own way, and for you to sit there and shit on him for it is kind of asshole-ish. Just because it's not what YOU think being a "hero" in this game is doesn't not make him one.

Ethan, you're my hero. ♥

• Like 3

Ethan, you're my hero. ♥

npo4Ju8.gif