R0B3RTF1SH3R

crossbow bolts

Bolts are much harder to find these days, when they were first introduced I was finding hundreds. I tend to find them in the "piano house" on the shelf on the ground floor, if I find them at all. Ultimately if I wish to use a silent weapon I craft a bow as arrows are very easy to craft for it.

I still wonder why you can't craft crossbow bolts yet.... Should work the same as arrows crafting + maybe another action with a knife/machete to shorten the pointed stick...

• Like 4

exactly, then after a week of playing a few nights, i finally found some on a server, bugged loot in all the barracks vybor military,

i counted probably 30 guns including ak74 ak74u ak101 akm and all the others. funny thing is i only took the bolts and ammo and clips. threw the clips and ammo in the bush and left with the bolts. 

i was considering throwing all the guns in the bush 2. but so many...

i normally do.

• Like 1

Ultimately if I wish to use a silent weapon I craft a bow as arrows are very easy to craft for it.

You are being misleading. There is no such thing as a silent weapon in DayZ yet because the zombies still aggro for any bow or crossbow, gun, etc.... It's completely broken still.

Or am I mistaken? Did they add any silencers that work yet?

There should already be functioning silencers/suppressors for rifles as of 0.52.

You are being misleading. There is no such thing as a silent weapon in DayZ yet because the zombies still aggro for any bow or crossbow, gun, etc.... It's completely broken still.

You might be getting mixed up with the zombies super vision. I can fire an arrow and not get aggro, however on the flip side I can move an inch 600 yards away and have one spot me.

• Like 1

There should already be functioning silencers/suppressors for rifles as of 0.52.

Yeah but they only work on rifles that most of us never see...

• Like 1

You are completely mistaken. 

1. There are working silencers.  (Zombies AI is slated to be worked on in the first part of right now). 

2. Bows are nearly silent to players and zombies... unless you miss and the arrow hits something in which case it makes a ricochet sound which isn't very loud. On several of my characters on different servers I have a main gun AND a bow and craft arrows as I go because I can quickly and silently take down zombies running at me without making a sound or having to dance around in the open for a bit with the risk of them hitting me. The fact that a bow can drop a player in a couple quick shots doesn't hurt either. It is hard to hit anything at a range past 30m so I would prefer a crossbow but the bow also fits in some of the larger backpacks so that and the ability to constantly and easily replenish my ammo makes it my go to zombie killer. 

Yeah but they only work on rifles that most of us never see...

You can craft a bow in about 15 minutes unless you get unlucky. 

I still wonder why you can't craft crossbow bolts yet.... Should work the same as arrows crafting + maybe another action with a knife/machete to shorten the pointed stick...

Yes yes! I want to try to live off the land but I kinda hate bow. 

Would love to try that with xbow but since you still can't craft bolts (WHY DEVS WHY?) it's a no go.

Oh I can just imagine that....dressed in those craftable leather clothes (once they are in), with xbow, trusty machette and improvised backpack from boar skin or even deer skin, I would happily try to live off the land, hunt animals and maybe ocassional trespasser!

mate, u can hear bow and crossbow there is 3 sounds, 4 if you count the empty sound "twang"

there is the whistle of the arrow and the impact hit. the reload sound.

so far, ive played this style character mostly, probably because in many mmo's or online team games. im always maining support/healers. 

well in dayz im a little twisted.

instead of healing ppl as a medic. 

I secretly poison them. well i dont think that trick works anymore. but yeah. 

u can sometimes even pretend to help ppl and then like get out the defib and some ppl will stand there watching u do the animation... then they just drop dead. haha. 

dont carry guns. 

you will get shot.

u might get shot anyway. but higher chance. especially if people can scope u from distance and see no weapons. 

just carry stuff like crossbow, most ppl dont freak out about it if its on your back.

yet most the time if your stealthy like me. you can get within 20m of someone, and bow/crossbow them. even infront of their friends, some don't know wtf is going on.

mostly i just have the self sufficient stuff i look for

sewing/leather kits,

rock for sharpening axe

bow + arrows crafting needs.

fireplace/gas cooker + meat. 

maybe a morphine inj + medkit

thats literally all u need 

but up until recent I have had stiff luck finding bolts. even with my pristine holosight

i have taken almost all guns into the bush and thrown them away, even the ammo's well more so the ammo's.

some people may think this is dumb. but i think its gold.  

2.jpg3.jpg01.jpg

Edited by R0B3RTF1SH3R

I think that there should indeed be more importance placed on the bow, which should be toted as the effective but difficult to use tool for sneaky players and hunters. Similarly, arrows should be retrievable if they are not already. 

I don't know if they are, since I haven't ever really used a bow. 

I think that there should indeed be more importance placed on the bow, which should be toted as the effective but difficult to use tool for sneaky players and hunters. Similarly, arrows should be retrievable if they are not already. 

I don't know if they are, since I haven't ever really used a bow. 

They are if they hit something in the environment, but not if they hit an actual living target (player/zombie). Which makes no sense.

A homade wooden crossbow bolt could be very unsafe, not impossiple, but on modern crossbows there is a good chance the bolt would shatter into splinters.

It would be cool if we could craft them and have chance for them to shatter and cause some harm to the user or a loud noise giving your loacation.

Edited by Barks

A homade wooden crossbow bolt could be very unsafe, not impossiple, but on modern crossbows there is a good chance the bolt would shatter into splinters.

It would be cool if we could craft them and have chance for them to shatter and cause some harm to the user or a loud noise giving your loacation.

-1 to hit, if your wearing gloves  :D

I'm not against having a different recipe for crafting bolts where instead of wooden sticks you would need some kind of metal/aluminium tubes which you should be able to find in those contruction and industrial areas

• Like 1