Sign in to follow this  
Tatanko

The Ability to Pour Water

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214550-cooling-off/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215374-using-bottled-water-to-cool-off/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215996-cool-yourself-by-pouring-water-on-your-face-from-a-water-bottle/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/216170-need-more-and-better-ways-to-cool-off/

I am not the first person to suggest this idea technically, however no one else I've seen has discussed this as a multi-purpose/general mechanic. I found four other threads that discussed using waterbottles and canteens as a way of cooling off, however I think the water pouring mechanic can be put to fuller use than that.

In addition to being able to pour water on yourself, I feel that you should be able to pour it on basically anything. Simply dumping out a bottle of water should be an option in case you accidentally put contaminated water in it. Along the same lines as cooling yourself off, you could cool off other players by dumping water on them as well (say, if they are unconscious from hyperthermia). You could also be required to pour water on a campfire in order to put it out completely, instead of simply "removing" the wood from the campfire. Pouring water could also be used to clean off dirty food or clothing before you use it.

I'm sure there are more uses than what I'm thinking of right now, but there is definitely a need for this mechanic and it could be used a lot of different ways.

• Like 10

We can fill our bottles, it seems only logical that we may empty them too.

• Like 2

Pretty sure you can already pour water onto fires to put them out. You can also pour out Gas canisters. Hopefully this stuff to do with liquids gets universalized so blood, water, gas etc are interchangeable but with different effects.

• Like 1

Hopefully this stuff to do with liquids gets universalized so blood, water, gas etc are interchangeable but with different effects.

That would be ideal, for sure. Many, many possibilities if so.

Edited by Tatanko

Pretty sure you can already pour water onto fires to put them out. You can also pour out Gas canisters. Hopefully this stuff to do with liquids gets universalized so blood, water, gas etc are interchangeable but with different effects.

Heh, if you could put gasoline into canteens, that'll be fun. 

"Care for a drink, fellow survivor?"

Heh heh heh...

• Like 1

Heh, if you could put gasoline into canteens, that'll be fun. 

"Care for a drink, fellow survivor?"

Heh heh heh...

That's what I'm thinking! Or, alternatively, "Hey, could you put out that fire for me? Here's a canteen full of water to put it out with." WOOSH! :)

• Like 1

That's what I'm thinking! Or, alternatively, "Hey, could you put out that fire for me? Here's a canteen full of water to put it out with." WOOSH! :)

"Oh dear, you are burnt! Here, let me douse that with some "water" for you!"

• Like 1

"you have emptied the glass bottle"

"you have added some gasoline to the glass bottle"

"you have added some rags to the glass bottle"

"you have lit a Molotov"

• Like 2

amazing idea, could be used to wake up a unconscious person.

Yes agreed lets wake up unconcious people with a molotov ;)

This all seems pretty logical. I'm sure with some more time we will see alot of these idea's added at somepoint. At least, I am sure we will see the pouring water over players to cool off anyway..

That's what gave me the idea initially: medical uses. It occurred to me that if a player had passed out due to hyperthermia, there would be no way of cooling them down beyond removing their clothing and letting the environment lower their temperature; if it were already a warm time of year to begin with that wouldn't be nearly enough to cool them down. Being able to pour water on them would cool them down a lot faster, and could mean the difference between life and death.

That's what gave me the idea initially: medical uses. It occurred to me that if a player had passed out due to hyperthermia, there would be no way of cooling them down beyond removing their clothing and letting the environment lower their temperature; if it were already a warm time of year to begin with that wouldn't be nearly enough to cool them down. Being able to pour water on them would cool them down a lot faster, and could mean the difference between life and death.

Might also be time to implement Cold Packs. Most first aid kits come with them now.