Sign in to follow this  
john5220

Why is Bohema so bad when it comes to AMD?

Sadly I don't even have to read the actual OP or the comments to respond to this...AMD SUCKS. This isn't a case of bias, AMD is simply a vastly inferior processor in comparison to Intel and is generally only useful when you can't afford an Intel. There is a reason why they are cheaper...

I feel you. But if you really want to play DayZ and you say that "its such a shame" if you truly feel that way and you think that because of "how good their games are" then just buy a new computer.

Buying a new computer takes an investment. My computer is a high end AMD build, but has the same issues 12 FPS in some areas, but 22-25 average. 

Edited by metroplex18

How is he able to get over 30 FPS in Cherno on a Phenom II and 6850 on MAX settings yet I have a 760K pile driver Quad Core @ 4 GHZ and HD 7850 radeon yet stick at 12 to 22 fps in Cherno at medium to low settings?

Turn your texture filtering and detail to high.

Edited by Chzy

Simply because DayZ like Arma 2 and 3 are very very poorly optimized games running the most terrible Engine you can find. These Engines only use like 1 core to its fullest, its CLEARLY an issue on Bohemia's end based on EVIDENCE!!!! you know that thing that people tend to throw out the window nowadays and instead count on faith??

Evidence? You mean like opening up MSI Afterburner on my computer on a second screen and watching it as I launch, play, tab out, and tab into DayZ SA and noting that every single time CPU0, CPU1, CPU2, and CPU3 while not having identical loads all have roughly the same load. Tab out, load drops, tab in, it increases across all four. See instead of going with "widely known" things I've actually investigated myself and at least on MY SYSTEM DayZ utilized all four cores and spreads the load across them.

secondly

Upping graphics settings does NOT shift processing onto the video card, where did you learn that garbage? are you just repeating the same nonsensical rumor that 14 year old kiddies of the DayZ community just spread around?

Upping graphics settings simply pushes the bottleneck onto the video card because you would be wasting time running DayZ at low if you got the same performance on high.

This is NOT the same as shifting processing on the video card, my god I have never heard such rubbish in my entire career in the computer field which includes programming.

No offense but please stop posting on this forum if you have to post this level of misinformation.

You understand what GPU stands for, right? Graphics Processing Unit. Software will either use "hardware" to render a scene (aka GPU) or it will use "software" to render a scene. Technically the software is still using hardware, it just isn't using hardware specifically designed to render graphics or to be more accurate in the past it wasn't designed to render graphics. That would be the CPU. Now, in some games bumping the settings up is a cue to the game's software to shift the demand for rendering the scene from a more software approach (CPU) to something dedicated to handling it which would be the GPU.

If you wish to witness this yourself open up MSI afterburner and play with the graphical settings. Instead of turning things off, turn everything to Low. Looke that the usage of the various CPUs and then look that GPU. On mine it was doing things like utilizing 70% of the CPU and 30% of the GPU. Then set everything to normal and observe. On my system the CPUs dropped down to 50% and the GPU went up to like 60-70%.

So what I was saying was that if you are running everything on low and getting horrible frame rates try bumping it up because on LOW it seems DayZ SA is doing the rendering and thus doing most of it in the CPU while when you bump things up to higher settings it lets the GPU do the rending. That would mean the GPU is doing the processing. It's counter intuitive but it works for people who are bottlenecked by CPU.

Your whole, "I'm an authority and you are wrong." when you haven't even gone out and tested it is slightly annoying. I just went and gained another 8+ FPS in testing this by watching the GPU/CPU usage and fiddling with settings and finding out which ones were more intensive and where the cutoff seemed to be for the software having the GPU handle it so that I wasn't maxing out either my CPU or GPU.

Edited by Mercules
  • Like 1

Upping graphics settings does NOT shift processing onto the video card, where did you learn that garbage?

..blah blah.. blah.. blah..

You are wrong.

This has been a 'feature' of the RV engine for a long time..

Perhaps it's no longer a 'feature' of dayz...    But most people who have played Arma/ Arma2 / Arma2:OA for years have known about this 'feature'  for years.

That's why you can see an increase in performance by turning Shadows / Clouds or Particles*  (i believe particles too)  to High, if you are currently suffering from a CPU bottleneck.

This can easily be tested at very low resolutions, with other settings isolated to see the effect, as people have tried to tell you.

Perhaps it is you who needs to go and educate themselves on what you think you are an authority on...

Because not only are you wrong,  you are insulting people who know more than you.

Also throwing out 'OH AND IM A PROGRAMMER' really makes you look like you're actually a fisherman or something (no offence to fisherman).

Because any real programmer would admit that being a database programmer for example.. doesn't give you inherent knowledge of all games, and all their intricacies.

Edited by lolpancakes
  • Like 1

The way I see it, you can either pay $150 for an AMD CPU that'll get close to 60FPS in every game aside from Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ. Including every game that'll be coming off consoles for the next decade.

Or you can pay $400 for an Intel CPU that'll get close to 60FPS in every game including Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ.

So, there is the question, is the $200 some odd dollars you're gonna drop on that Intel CPU worth it just for Bohemia's games? Personally, I don't think so. I play a lot of DayZ, but it doesn't come close to being the only game I play, or even a game that I spend more than 50% of my time playing. It is also the only game in my library (300+ Steam, A dozen on EA Origin) that doesn't almost solely rely on your GPU in order to perform well with for the most part any modern desktop CPU.

...and from a more practical standpoint, if you're not spending way more money on your GPU than you are on your CPU when building a gaming rig then you're plain doing it wrong. If you don't have the money for an enthusiast class GPU but you're going with the I7 quad core then you're wasting money that would be better invested in your graphics processor. Intel is better than AMD, no question. But if price is at all a factor, AMD is going to provide much better bang for the buck in 95% of games.

To answer the OP: Arma wasn't originally designed with large scale multiplayer gameplay in mind. It was played largely as a small sever Co-OP game until the last few years, as such what little optimization was done on it and its ancient network architecture reflect that history. Hopefully, with DayZ eventually landing on PS4 there will be for the first time some sort of optimization with a bias toward low powered CPUs running numerous cores, since that is the standard hardware on this generation of gaming console.

Edited by Hefeweizen

The way I see it, you can either pay $150 for an AMD CPU that'll get close to 60FPS in every game aside from Arma 2, Arma 3 and DayZ. Including every game that'll be coming off consoles for the next decade.

My I5 processor which is current generation I5 and so gives me solid 60 FPS across the empty parts of the map and 30-40 in cities in DaySA is currently $169 dollars at Microcenter. I can order one online right now or go down to the store and buy one. Now, it is out of stock at a few other places and it's replacement is $249 but the difference you are talking about for low price but acceptable gaming rigs is about $100 for a chipset that works well on DayZ SA and MWO(another game that is processor heavy) as well as everything else.

30 - 40 frames in town, 60 fps in the woods is what I get with a $80 FX 6300 overclocked to 4.4ghz using an evo 212. So the performance of your older I5 seems to be somewhat lacking compared to newer Intel CPUs.

Like I said, you need to spend $400 to get a CPU that runs DayZ at 60fps and that is simply a waste of money if you're not already running a high end GPU, maybe an SSD, an aftermarket heat sink and a few other items that would add more bang for your gaming buck than a high end intel cpu.

Edited by Hefeweizen