shokaloop

Can someone explain how loot spawn/respawn works?

Before you could loot up a server for everything it had then wait for it to reset and go back and reloot those same areas for more loot. 

Now I feel like upon server reset the server doesn't spawn in any new loot. I've server hopped about 30 times in a place with barracks and haven't even found a damn hand gun. WTF??

Someone explain please.

if a server is persistent then loot generally doesn't respawn on restart but instead certain locations will have thousands of items all spawning in together - most other places will just have books etc. on non persistent servers loot respawn on restart.

Edited by freethink
  • Like 1

if a server is persistent then loot generally doesn't respawn on restart but instead certain locations will have thousands of items all spawning in together - most other places will just have books etc. on non persistent servers loot respawn on restart.

I usually tend to stay away from persistent servers and am still having this problem. Did they lower the spawn for things like AK47s and Mossins? 

I usually tend to stay away from persistent servers and am still having this problem. Did they lower the spawn for things like AK47s and Mossins? 

Most servers are persistent atm even if they say they aren't. I'd guesstimate 5% of servers have persistence off. The akm only spawns in mil locations. Lots of mosins. Try the small one room log cabin in the corner.

Not entirely sure.  There's servers that spawn stuff. Some that don't.  Some that will have a gun/backpack exactly where I dropped it two days later.  And most of those are high-pop PvP servers, so they aren't persistent.  Some of the game mechanics confuse the hell out of me.

I've never encountered any kind of issues regarding the loot on persistent servers

I seem to be encountering pretty normal distribution and have a theory that if someone is online in an area when the restart begins than that area will not be reloaded. The only place I've seen super loot is the Vybor military base but super doesn't really quantify it more like absurdly ridiculous. 

I've server hopped about 30 times in a place with barracks and haven't even found a damn hand gun. WTF??

I literally laughed out loud at this. Is getting your desired loot really worth not actually playing the game?  :rolleyes: You're the reason I only play on private shards now.

P.S. Persistent servers don't spawn loot on restart.

Edited by solodude23

The actual workings are being kept vague to limit exploiting the system, but the basics are that as items are picked up other items may appear at other locations on the same server.

The main goal is to maintain a consistent amount of loot across the map at all times in accordance with the "loot economy", which is designed to prevent too many of a given item from appearing on any one server.

Right now, the difference between Persistence On servers and their counterparts, as mentioned, is that Persistence On servers will constantly respawn items while they are running and you will see little change in quantities of loot after restarts because all existing items will persist (stay where they are) across the restart, whereas Persistence Off servers will only produce new items during their scheduled restarts and, more importantly, items left on the ground will disappear after the restart.

There are bugs currently in 0.51 where certain areas are being flooded with loot while other areas seem to be picked clean (i.e. items are respawning but not in the areas where they are needed) and I don't know if this is specific to one type of server or another or both. I saw this in Solnichniy just last night on a Persistence enabled server.

Edited by BlazinOne

To answer your question in the title.

When an item is picked up a new item will spawn in a different location.

As for server hopping, let me know where you server hop and I'll teach you all about server hopping.

I seem to be encountering pretty normal distribution and have a theory that if someone is online in an area when the restart begins than that area will not be reloaded. The only place I've seen super loot is the Vybor military base but super doesn't really quantify it more like absurdly ridiculous. 

:( I only get bananas and shades at Vybor base.

I dream of ridiculous loot all over the place, just once, please......

Red

The loot system seems to be madly broken currently. I have come across town after town devoid of anything but books only to then find a building with so much loot its impossible to access most of it due to all the loot on top.

but hey its an alpha so to be expected 

I've never encountered any kind of issues regarding the loot on persistent servers

Man, really?  Haven't you bumped into those rooms with like 1000 items spawned there, only to be books and clothes and other things people leave behind :D   Anyway, persistent servers are nice for their idea of items being where they are through server restarts and such, I think it just don't work that well right now, specifically the spawning part of the loot

Out of curiosity where are people seeing these ultra loot spawns the only place I've seen them is the military base to the east of vybor just south of the northwest airfield. Are other places doing this too?

^ They were definitely not just at bases, I can tell you that!

I had an entire town to myself for a long time in a private hive, everyone was off PVP at the base, and I was in town like a 11 year old at the mall on XMas Eve

• Like 1

The title of this post sets all responses up for failure - because it's not exactly working right now. There's a big difference between how it's "supposed" to work and how it's currently working. I believe starting with .49 all servers were persistent by default. From what I saw in various forum/reddit posts this caused some confusion with server owners who didn't want persistence didn't go in and update the settings from the new default to turn persistence off (thinking "hey, I didn't change anything, it must be persistence off the way it's always been!"), and some owners did vice versa expecting to turn persistence on when in fact they turned it off. This is the exception not the norm now though and , but it led to confusion in the initial few weeks after the .49 release. There's also the distribution issues with persistence now where entire towns can be empty and one building may have nearly all of the loot for an entire sizable section of the map (all of the loot in Elektro might be in the fire station as an example). There's also strangeness with the respawn algorithm as well. I'm curious if today's build addresses any of this and what if anything is different on experimental.

The title of this post sets all responses up for failure - because it's not exactly working right now. There's a big difference between how it's "supposed" to work and how it's currently working. I believe starting with .49 all servers were persistent by default. From what I saw in various forum/reddit posts this caused some confusion with server owners who didn't want persistence didn't go in and update the settings from the new default to turn persistence off (thinking "hey, I didn't change anything, it must be persistence off the way it's always been!"), and some owners did vice versa expecting to turn persistence on when in fact they turned it off. This is the exception not the norm now though and , but it led to confusion in the initial few weeks after the .49 release. There's also the distribution issues with persistence now where entire towns can be empty and one building may have nearly all of the loot for an entire sizable section of the map (all of the loot in Elektro might be in the fire station as an example). There's also strangeness with the respawn algorithm as well. I'm curious if today's build addresses any of this and what if anything is different on experimental.

Wait there's a build today?

All aboard the hype train Christmas is coming!

When you do find a spot where the loot is over spawning... it's like hitting the lotto!!!

I was in some small town as I'm making my way around the map. I stopped in a police building looking for ammo and I came across about 20 book bags in one room. No ammo but enough of everything else to live off of for a while. It was crazy.

But I do notice other areas spawning almost nothing now where I used to find things I needed consistent.

Edited by BMAF

I wonder is having persistence on is causing new loot to spawn every restart in certain structures. So if a server has been on for a few days but no one has gone in a building you open it up and its overflowing. Also is there a global item limit? Because having lots in one building could be what causes little to spawn elsewhere because of a limit if one exists. Another possibility is that it is a cascading effect with the spawn code swing an item in one slot so it spawns something else next to it then it doesn't see two items so it repeats until one is in the slot and stops it. This may explain why (in my experience) the super loot structures spawn stuff in small bunches not a spread over the whole area.

Also looking at his thread it seems like military buildings are the ones causing the loot spawns with barracks and place stations being the main culprits

When you do find a spot where the loot is over spawning... it's like hitting the lotto!!!

I was in some small town as I'm making my way around the map. I stopped in a police building looking for ammo and I came across about 20 book bags in one room. No ammo but enough of everything else to live off of for a while. It was crazy.

But I do notice other areas spawning almost nothing now where I used to find things I needed consistent.

It is this weird feeling man. I get a little anxiety, trying to move quickly but trying to be thorough making sure I get the best of what's available. Like which items are here, which ammo is available... a lot of back and forth, but trying to hurry UP! The worse, was that the building I was in had an improvised sack filled up with gear, no body around, like 'wth happened here' LOL

Which led to an idea, which was to stuff the loose items into the bags and look thru everything that way. If someone came in, they wouldn't know exactly right away.

But really curious to see how spawning will work going forward, for me it is the basis of the gam.

• Like 1

Man, really?  Haven't you bumped into those rooms with like 1000 items spawned there, only to be books and clothes and other things people leave behind :D   Anyway, persistent servers are nice for their idea of items being where they are through server restarts and such, I think it just don't work that well right now, specifically the spawning part of the loot

I've found massive piles, but they're pistols, ammo and such...not junk, and when I don't find one I get regular loot on those servers

It is this weird feeling man. I get a little anxiety, trying to move quickly but trying to be thorough making sure I get the best of what's available. Like which items are here, which ammo is available... a lot of back and forth, but trying to hurry UP! The worse, was that the building I was in had an improvised sack filled up with gear, no body around, like 'wth happened here' LOL

Which led to an idea, which was to stuff the loose items into the bags and look thru everything that way. If someone came in, they wouldn't know exactly right away.

But really curious to see how spawning will work going forward, for me it is the basis of the gam.

HAHAHA I said the same thing when I walked in the room with the backpacks. I was like.... WTF happened??? Where are all the owners of these backpacks. hahaha!

The current loot system is extremely broken. I'll find AK/mags/ammo galore in barracks, die, then find nothing fro 3-4 towns as a new spawn. No food, no basic gear, nothing. NJ 2-8 was my honey hole last went because of the loot at triple helmet barracks just south of northwest airfield (north of green mountain). 

This game isn't about finding everything you want, but there should at least be common loot in common places, that shit gets old fast. 

The current loot system is extremely broken. I'll find AK/mags/ammo galore in barracks, die, then find nothing fro 3-4 towns as a new spawn. No food, no basic gear, nothing. NJ 2-8 was my honey hole last went because of the loot at triple helmet barracks just south of northwest airfield (north of green mountain). 

This game isn't about finding everything you want, but there should at least be common loot in common places, that shit gets old fast.

Yeah that base near vybor seems to be the primary example of this

I've observed this too in various locations but the vast majority of loot is junk. Boots, crowbars, med kits, and other misc crap that rarely gets used.