Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

So... the sky... at night....

I really like the idea you can navigate using the stars. I've done it myself in real life and I think it adds a lot to the realism of the game. However, something struck me the other night, if this is the view you get now...

8tKozel.jpg

Why is it so sparse?

After all, this is in a place with no light pollution and it's an almost entirely clear night, realistically it should look more like this...

XUy2dI3.jpg

Edited by ricp
  • Like 4

You can totally use the stars to navigate. The Big Dipper points to Polaris, so it's all good. Having a classy night sky like your pic would be chill also.

• Like 2

You can totally use the stars to navigate. The Big Dipper points to Polaris, so it's all good. Having a classy night sky like your pic would be chill also.

Interestingly, due to the time of year and the latitude, The Plough is actually partially covered by the horizon in quite a few locations. Polaris is easy to find though.

• Like 1

Wish dayz nightsky looked nicer as well.

• Like 1

I imagine that it wouldn't be overly difficult. After all the main "disc" of the milky way remains pretty much static (relatively of course) to which you could then apply the star map layer (like the one we have now).

• Like 1

If we had the second photo I would just lay in a field, put on some easy listening and stare away. I'm afraid I would not play dayz though.

• Like 1

A bit of a jazzed up sky would be nice. The one we have now feels more like it was built for function than looks....to train people to nav from the stars. In dayz they could retain the realism but touch it up a bit to look more realistic. I feel I should point out quite how dark it is in that "real" shot though....the trees are nothing but black shapes...we need to keep that kind of night lighting otherwise it would be unrealistic and kinda ruin the effect of a touched up skybox :)

• Like 1

I feel I should point out quite how dark it is in that "real" shot though....the trees are nothing but black shapes...we need to keep that kind of night lighting otherwise it would be unrealistic and kinda ruin the effect of a touched up skybox :)

It's all down to the photography. It's not my photo, mind, I just grabbed it off Google, but it's clear the short exposure and no flash have resulted in the light from the sky being caught and the trees looking silhouetted.

Obviously in real life (not that the photo is faked) because of the lack of light pollution there would be quite a lot of light from the stars. 

• Like 1

I'm glad they flipped the moon so its proper face it showing.

I live in a place with zero light pollution, and it does not look like this.

XUy2dI3.jpg

With the naked eye the milky way is visible, but not with any color, and individual stars colors are hard to tell unless you spend some time looking at them.

Considering you are at or near sea level in Chernarus (~500m max) what you see in game is pretty darn good already.

• Like 1

I live in a place with zero light pollution, and it does not look like this.

Where are you at? I live in Scotland and while it's not quite as bright as the image it can be not far off it if you head out into the middle of the Highlands. I've also spent time travelling the desert in Morocco, and it was also similar.

Either way, I think we all agree that if it's possible (and easy to do) a nicer background image to underlay the stars, that we currently see in the game, would be nice.

• Like 1

Scotland here too, central belt, so there's unfortunately a lot of light pollution here although if you know what you're looking for it's a lot easier to make stuff out. I'd very much like a better, updated night sky. I feel that the one we currently have is no better than looking out my window and seeing the sky in an area with bad light pollution.

Scotland here too, central belt, so there's unfortunately a lot of light pollution here although if you know what you're looking for it's a lot easier to make stuff out. I'd very much like a better, updated night sky. I feel that the one we currently have is no better than looking out my window and seeing the sky in an area with bad light pollution.

Yeah, you really need to get away from the Central Belt. I know there is a "dark sky park" or whatever it's called down in Dumfries and of course the glens of the Highlands are ideal.

• Like 1

from the 20 Oct 14 status update;

------

Chris / Lead Artist
"This week, I'm taking a look at our skybox and lighting settings to see if there is opportunity to improve the experience visually - particularly at dawn/dusk and night.  I'm 
hoping that we will find a way to add the milky way spiral arm visible in the night sky to our game.
------

hoping to hear more about this sometime soon
  • Like 2

*edit--damn double post

Edited by thznutz

from the 20 Oct 14 status update;

------

Chris / Lead Artist
"This week, I'm taking a look at our skybox and lighting settings to see if there is opportunity to improve the experience visually - particularly at dawn/dusk and night.  I'm 
hoping that we will find a way to add the milky way spiral arm visible in the night sky to our game.
------

hoping to hear more about this sometime soon

Ha! Just goes to show I should read the fecking updates rather than start daft threads.. ;)

• Like 1

Ha! Just goes to show I should read the fecking updates rather than start daft threads.. ;)

meh...daft threads such as yours provide the required ample reading material for my boring days at work...post on good sir :thumbsup:

*edit-still cant spell

Edited by thznutz