Sign in to follow this  
Johnny Depth

Clearing up the "No message received for x seconds" message

Didn't see this posted anywhere so I figured it would be appropriate.

I had this happen to me probably 5 times last night and I had to keep switching servers?

1)Does this mean the server is restarting?

2)How long do I have to wait before I can rejoin that server? Or should I just switch to a different server?

Thanks

Are you new to the game?
It either means that the server is restarting or you just have lost connection with the internet. Before rejoining the same server, you should probably wait 3-5 minutes to prevent a character reset.

Normally, and on Stable servers, this is related to the server restarting. Usually a planned reboot and you missed the "I'm about to f**k up your shit in X minutes" console message, perhaps there wasn't one, but as I say that is normally the case.

However on Experimental this is happening regularly. For example the UK-18 Exp server showed this message 3 times in about 30 minutes and not on a regular basis, one was 10 minutes after the next 5, then another 20 minutes later. What's more I can wait for the timer to hit 90 seconds (where it auto disconnects) then rejoin from the main game UI and I can get right in. Now a normal (hard) reboot takes a couple of minutes, but this seems like a "soft" one that stops responding for a minute or so while it sorts itself out then goes about it's business again (probably with a "hey, where did you guys go" expression on it's virtual face).

Normally, and on Stable servers, this is related to the server restarting. Usually a planned reboot and you missed the "I'm about to f**k up your shit in X minutes" console message, perhaps there wasn't one, but as I say that is normally the case.

I sat here and thought about it for a few minutes and I can not remember once seeing a message warning that a server was about to reset.  I have seen a warning on logging in that a server will reset every <insert number here> hours but not an actually warning in advance of the reset.

I sat here and thought about it for a few minutes and I can not remember once seeing a message warning that a server was about to reset.  I have seen a warning on logging in that a server will reset every <insert number here> hours but not an actually warning in advance of the reset.

They weren't there to start with but some months back the public hives started giving out warnings. Generally 30, then 5, then 1 minute before they reboot.

maybe the server admin is resetting it often (naughty), hoping chopper wreck will spawn near character etc

or server admin is too lazy to figure out the times to implement the restart warning messages (involves a little bit of maths, juggling differences between ingame time vs server time vs real time)

"No message recieved for X seconds" simply means you lost connection to the server for the given ammount of time. It can be caused by a server restart, a server crash or your dog chewing on your network cable. It really only means "You lost connection to the server for no given reason".