Sign in to follow this  
commanderbash

need more and better ways to cool off

I understand that the current heat model is,,, well, broken. but if overheating is going to be an issue in the foreseeable future, we need better mechanics to combat it. here's a list I came up with:

sweating(passive): your body is very good at dumping heat already, that should be worked in, at the point that you're overheating you should begin to sweat, it's a mechanic that could work until you're thirsty or right until you die of thirst, keeps you at a minimum of a damp-wet state basically trading water retention for heat dissipation. it works in real life,,, really don't know how it couldn't work in dayz. as far as how long into dehydration you could properly sweat for, as well as how quickly this dissipates water and heat, and if it would be still possible to reach hyperthermia, that balancing will be up to the devs.

open clothing: most jackets, as well at some winter pants and gloves, can be either unzipped or have folds that can be opened to allow significant  reduction in their insulative value so your skin and breathe when its too hot to be wearing what ever it is you have. i know we're not wearing snow suits, but i should be able to unzip my jacket to help me cool off, IMHO it wouldn't need a separate texture set, just a status beside the name ex. "TTSO Jacket (unzipped)"

pour water over yourself: we have bottled water, we should be able to pour it over our head/body to quickly cool off

being soaked should cool you off ALOT quicker: I've spent a half hour sitting in a pond to reduce my heat from hyper-thermic to just below hot, it REALLY should not be that long

cold packs: though their actual use is to reduce swelling, with a lack of ice i can't imagine i wouldn't cool off a little holding a cold pack to me similar to a heat pack

so there you go, 5 ways you could implement cooling off better then its done now.

Edited by commanderbash

I don't understand how people keep having overheating problems.  Are you sprinting everywhere wearing a jacket, vest, gloves, facemask, and hat?  Try ditching the gloves and vest.  Stop at streams and lakes to take a break. Jog to your destination or walk.  Honestly the hyper/hypothermia system works fine; humans weren't built to sprint kilometers at a time toting the weight of 3 children strapped to their torso.

• Like 6

The problem is, is many players are used to running every were at full speed.  Hualing ass every where all the time. It now destroys you boots faster and causes you avatar to over heat.

I have not over heated once in .50. What I do is run at a slower pace jogging, only speeding up in wide open areas. Or I sprint just untill I get the "I am rapidly warming up" then slow down for a while. It takes longer to get were going but you will never over heat. Also I think running slower helps your boots last longer too. Also drink lots of fluids and keep the hydrated bar lite up at all times.

This sounds really funny but you in game avatar now has to take breaks lol. You cant just run your avatar at full speed to the ground anymore. Your avatar is kind of like a pet, you gotta feed, water and make sure your avatar is healthy. Being heathy with 3 green bars with good temp, will really improve your odds of surival against zombie attacks and pvp.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

What really shocks me is many of the "streamers" I have seen on dayz tv, don't seem to give 2 shits about it.

Many streamers are only into PvP -> short lives/don't care about it.

It's because & for the show I guess.

Many streamers are only into PvP -> short lives/don't care about it.

It's because & for the show I guess.

Yeah decided to to remove that from my post and just stay on the hydration health topic.

But yes many streamers don't keep there avatars that healthy, and there a ton of players who don't. Infact I was talking to a player on Team Speak last weekend who was a pvp die hard, he said that he thinks dayz is a pvp game only and that its too getting to hard to just surive now....I think theres allot of people that don't think it should be a survival game..more of a pvp 1st game..Theres almost 2 schools of thought. I try to respect it, but there comes a point were you have to know DayZ is a survival game 1st pvp Game second. Infact pvp is just something you have to do when someone gets in the way of you surviving. Many players pvp 1st and don't care about surival. This will become harder in the coming patches I think. It will get to a point were you either learn the survival aspect, or your not going to make it that long.

Edited by CJFlint
  • Like 1

Considering that I had to dive in a pond and chill in it for about 10 mins without any clothes on to go from "overheating" to "hot", I'd say that it could be a little bit easier. I drank on top of that 3 full canteens and 4-5 soft drinks under the rain to barely see the overheating status go a little paler. Then I went looking for a body of water to dive in. Maybe that server was set on "as hot as a volcano" idk.

Considering that I had to dive in a pond and chill in it for about 10 mins without any clothes on to go from "overheating" to "hot", I'd say that it could be a little bit easier. I drank on top of that 3 full canteens and 4-5 soft drinks under the rain to barely see the overheating status go a little paler. Then I went looking for a body of water to dive in. Maybe that server was set on "as hot as a volcano" idk.

Or maybe the game's design is taking a turn away from 'instant gratification' mode

Or maybe the game's design is taking a turn away from 'instant gratification' mode

I don't mind struggling to stay alive, it's part of what makes DayZ fun, it's just that having to take a dip under the rain naked to cool down might be pushing a little bit far. Should have died of hypothermia doing that xD

I understand that the current heat model is,,, well, broken.

Beside the fact that I totally agree to what nettles said, how can you complain about a balance/tuning issue in alpha?!?!?!?

Right now the focus is NOT on tuning everything to make the game perfect, the main goal is to implement as many features as possible and then move into beta were tuning becomes a topic.

Is seems that you didn't think about future game development too, so tuning the system to perfection now is beyond stupidity, because with these upcoming mechanics:

- stamina

- weight system

- cloth layering

- seasons

the overheat system has to be re-balanced anyways, so all the work would have been for nothing...

Maybe next time you try to think about a reason why a system isn't totally balanced in alpha before posting a balance/tuning post ;)

BTW, there are already topics for "more and better ways to cool off", so it seems you didn't use the search function...

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215374-using-bottled-water-to-cool-off/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/215996-cool-yourself-by-pouring-water-on-your-face-from-a-water-bottle/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/214550-cooling-off/

http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/213682-nerf-hypothermia/

Edited by degude

ffs stop with thay alpha crap already

OP, it sucks but there isn't much you can do. Forget about wearing gloves, take off your coat/whatevertopyouhave and put it in your backpack. Jump into every lake you can find. Right now water doesn't damage your equipment so it's the best way to keep normal temperature. Memorize the location of all ponds, lakes.

Don't even listen to suggestions like: start walking everywhere.

I understand that the current heat model is,,, well, broken. but if overheating is going to be an issue in the foreseeable future, we need better mechanics to combat it. here's a list I came up with:

This is nothing to worry about. The overheating problem is gone on 0,51 patch. This patch will most likely come out tomorrow on stable.

And while you wait. Overheating is not so bad. I did run around for a long time with overheating, and i was fine. Only problem was that i had to drink insane amount of water. So i had to plan my route to make sure i came across rivers and pound very often.