Sign in to follow this  
DickCheney

Weapon Realism Fixes

Starting first with the Derringer, .45ACP is a very unlikely cartrige for a Derringer to be chambered in and in the game it doesn't really make any sense seeing as how .45ACP generally only spawns around military bases and anyone who goes to a military base likely has better sidearm options.

In reality Derringers are mostly chambered in .38 Special, .22lr, and .410ga/.45 Long Colt, now you can go about this however you want, make .357 derringers, add .38 special into the game, whatever works but just get rid of the .45ACP derringer because as it stands now no one wants it, its like a starter gun that you need to go to a military base to get ammo for, chambering it in .357 magnum and .22lr (two variations of the gun) makes a lot more sense for a two shot firearm that people generally get early on and ditch as their character gears up.

Next up is the reloading mechanics of the Repeater, the MP-133 Pump Shotgun, the SKS, and the Mosin Nagant 91/30, in reality these weapons do not have to be unloaded to be reloaded, you simply need to load new rounds in, this is probably just a game mechanic that isn't easy to fix but I figured I'd throw it out there anyway.

Snaploaders and Speedloaders, these don't actually go into the gun, a speed loader just empties the rounds into the cylinder and then you remove it and stow it in your inventory, same with snaploaders, the rounds should just be moved from the snaploader into the blaze/IZH-43 and leave an empty snaploader in your inventory.

• Like 4

Part 2: Accuracy and Damage

Weapons which share the same ammunition do the same damage, the thing that would really change this would be barrel length but that would do a lot more to accuracy than damage. A P1 and a CR75 should do the same damage, a FNX, a 1911, and a Derringer should all do the same damage, a Longhorn, a Mosin Nagant, and a Blaze should do just about the same damage, maybe a tad more for longer barrels but the barrel should really only mess with accuracy.

Now I can't find accurate numbers for weapon damage in this game but I'm pretty sure the Longhorn and Mosin have different damage.

• Like 1

Part 2: Accuracy and Damage

Weapons which share the same ammunition do the same damage, the thing that would really change this would be barrel length but that would do a lot more to accuracy than damage. A P1 and a CR75 should do the same damage, a FNX, a 1911, and a Derringer should all do the same damage, a Longhorn, a Mosin Nagant, and a Blaze should do just about the same damage, maybe a tad more for longer barrels but the barrel should really only mess with accuracy.

False. Weapons have different barrel lengths, which give them different muzzle velocities. ie the Repeater should pack a bigger punch because its barrel is nearly 3 times the length of the magnum and the bullet comes out of the barrel at a higher velocity. same thing with the Mosin-Nagant/Longhorn. Also the Mosin-Nagant/Longhorn use different ammo types irl.

I do agree on accuracy, and the pistols are weird because the P1 is the worst pistol as of right now.

Edited by DURRHUNTER
  • Like 1

The derringer should really be .380. It's pretty common and wouldn't make it as useless as if it were .22.

Original derringers were a pretty weak designs in weak calibers. .45 ACP is powerful, it require a stronger frame and pivot. The big derringers in .45 ACP, .45 LC, .410, .357 etc are overbuilt, large and heavy to handle those cartridges.

Compare the American Derringer and Bond Arms .45 ACPs and Cobra .38 Spl here to the original .41 Remington and see all the areas AD, Bond and even cheap Cobra have massively beefed up to handle the cartridges producing many times the energy.

AD, Bond, Cobra

picture%20617.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

batd1.jpg

cb38cr2.jpg

Remington

remington-1866-derringer.jpg

Now check out the DayZ derringer, you should be able to see a significant weak spot...

dayz-0-50-black-derringer.jpg

Edited by Gews
  • Like 1

False. Weapons have different barrel lengths, which give them different muzzle velocities. ie the Repeater should pack a bigger punch because its barrel is nearly 3 times the length of the magnum and the bullet comes out of the barrel at a higher velocity. same thing with the Mosin-Nagant/Longhorn. Also the Mosin-Nagant/Longhorn use different ammo types irl.

I do agree on accuracy, and the pistols are weird because the P1 is the worst pistol as of right now.

I stated that barrel length should play a role but the role should be a minor one, greater barrel length does not necessary always mean higher velocity and even when it does that velocity plays a larger part in accuracy than damage, the damage difference of 1400fps (6" barrel) and 1700fps (18" barrel) are not really that great if we are firing the same round.

Here is a list of actual numbers:

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/357mag.html

While I do agree that a longer barrel should cause a bit more damage I really do emphasize the "bit" part, it should be miniscule and vary between weapons, for instance; a .357 is a straight walled cartridge which burns its powder rather quickly so 6" of barrel or 18" of barrel it really doesn't make that much of a difference, somewhere around 200 extra feet per second. On the other hand though, 7.62x54R is a necked cartridge which does need more barrel to burn all of its powder and the difference between 6" of barrel and 29" barrel could mean up to 1000 more feet per second which would give a massive accuracy increase and a notable, but not devastating, damage increase. At the end of the day a .30 caliber bullet traveling at 2300 fps is going to do almost as much damage as one traveling 3300 fps, once you reach a certain speed an increase in speed won't really give a great increase in damage though it will always give a great increase in accuracy.

The derringer should really be .380. It's pretty common and wouldn't make it as useless as if it were .22.

Original derringers were a pretty weak designs in weak calibers. .45 ACP is powerful, it require a stronger frame and pivot. The big derringers in .45 ACP, .45 LC, .410, .357 etc are overbuilt, large and heavy to handle those cartridges.

Compare the American Derringer and Bond Arms .45 ACPs and Cobra .38 Spl here to the original .41 Remington and see all the areas AD, Bond and even cheap Cobra have massively beefed up to handle the cartridges producing many times the energy.

AD, Bond, Cobra

picture%20617.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

batd1.jpg

cb38cr2.jpg

Remington

remington-1866-derringer.jpg

Now check out the DayZ derringer, you should be able to see a significant weak spot...

dayz-0-50-black-derringer.jpg

I wouldn't argue against a .380 derringer, maybe a .380 and a .357 magnum though. I'm not really going to ask the game designers to beef up the lock so that the gun would realistically be able to handle the round it is firing but I don't think its too much to ask for them to change to more realistic calibers which would actually make the Derringer a useful starter weapon, seeing as they should be quite common in residential houses.

I stated that barrel length should play a role but the role should be a minor one, greater barrel length does not necessary always mean higher velocity and even when it does that velocity plays a larger part in accuracy than damage, the damage difference of 1400fps (6" barrel) and 1700fps (18" barrel) are not really that great if we are firing the same round.

They are pretty large differences since the Python fires at ~360 m/s, slightly slower than most .357s due to forcing cone / barrel dimensions, and the carbine will fire at ~540 m/s, that's 2.25x the energy and with hot loads can nip at the heels of 7.62x39, more importantly common 158 JSP bullets from the revolver will often show minimal expansion and from the carbine they may be explosive by comparison.

Edited by Gews

Hes right about the P1 and the CZ75,FNP/1911 though. They should do similar damage. You are right though on the fact that a full rifle length weapon should out range and be more damaging than a pistol chambered in the same cartridge.