11tw

Skinning other players (hot topic obviously)

I'm not worried about the meat side of cannabalism (personally I think that brain disease should occur after consuming both raw and cooked human meat, and should cause randomly either laughing/crying and/or shaking, WOBO has a strawpoll on this if you are interested)

I am more interested in the skinning aspect... skinning a dead human being would be pretty intense and traumatic... Skinning another player for the first time should cause messages to pop up saying a variety of things...
e.g. while skinning, your character has a chance to be sick and come up with a message saying: 'I don't think I can do this'.
The chance would have to be random to prevent this becoming formulaic. There could be other results of skinning other players, such as shaking, dizziness, hyperventilation etc.

Obviously forced emotions is a contentious issue, however since the graphics engine cannot show you the gore and textures of dead flesh and blood, it makes sense for your avatar to react even if you don't.

I get that this isn't everyones cup of tea, however since canabailism is going to be a very optional part of gameplay, I think it would be a great testing ground for such a mechanic.

• Like 4

What I wanna see after skinning someone is a new model to pop up. I mean yeah, it'd be a pain, but they make new character models all the time, why not make for a skinned who-man. That way I can enjoy eating their nice tender thigh and have a beautiful scene to top it all off. :)

• Like 1

its macabre but I think this and hanging people would add SO MUCH to the atmosphere....

I kinda would love to see a persistant flayed hanging corpse upon entering a town or something.

Or maybe something like in the forest where you can build human effigies from corpses.

If its the zombie APOCALYPSE, it should took like it.

I WANNA SEE PEOPLE SWINGING FROM LAMPOSTS!

• Like 4

It is a very disturbing feature. I remember the responses when it was added to the DayZ 2017 mod. It would be nice to have messages for the first time you do it, but... how would it track that? As I understand it, so long as you avoid the brain and spinal cord... the way you'd get sick from eating human flesh would be if the person you skinned was sick. Prions (the cause of Kuru - or laughing sickness) tend to concentrate in the brain and spinal cord - so, maybe only a slight chance of getting sick from cooked human flesh.

It would be nice to have a sanity mechanic (I know 2017 for Arma 3 is working on something like this), but that may be much farther down the road. But, you'd be surprised how disturbing it is to skin a human being even in a game like this.

I'm not worried about the meat side of cannabalism (personally I think that brain disease should occur after consuming both raw and cooked human meat, and should cause randomly either laughing/crying and/or shaking, WOBO has a strawpoll on this if you are interested)

I am more interested in the skinning aspect... skinning a dead human being would be pretty intense and traumatic... Skinning another player for the first time should cause messages to pop up saying a variety of things...

e.g. while skinning, your character has a chance to be sick and come up with a message saying: 'I don't think I can do this'.

The chance would have to be random to prevent this becoming formulaic. There could be other results of skinning other players, such as shaking, dizziness, hyperventilation etc.

Obviously forced emotions is a contentious issue, however since the graphics engine cannot show you the gore and textures of dead flesh and blood, it makes sense for your avatar to react even if you don't.

I get that this isn't everyones cup of tea, however since canabailism is going to be a very optional part of gameplay, I think it would be a great testing ground for such a mechanic.

But the brain disease is only found in a few places and you actually have to eat the brain. Also I don't think your character should experience emotions. The emotions should be coming from you. It's my choice if my character is a hardened psychopathic cannibalistic killer or a sympathetic nice guy.

But back to the skinning, i don't really see much point to it. Idk what you would do with human hide besides collect it. Theres not much of it to make clothing and even them you would have to turn it into leather and it would be a long process that wouldn't save you from the elements. This is DayZ not silence of the lambs.

Hmmm, I have to disagree. Some things have to be experienced as a result of gameplay directly. Skinning a virtual person will never make you sick. Skinning someone IRL would almost certainly do so. And even if you were sick, how would that translate into gameplay being affected? Your character wouldn't lose any energy or water, and so it wouldn't add to anything.

Naturally any sort of humane response from your character would have to be subtle and random to avoid it becoming annoying.

Although cannibalism is taboo, its reported all over the world when there are dire circumstances of famine and war- one of the reasons you never see any corpses in the old reels from the battle of stalingrad.

The whole insanity thing or Kuru can pretty much be negated by not eating nervous tissue. In reality, the people that have lived through those times did just that- lived through, remained taboo and continued to live their lives without going insane.

If you add in cannibalism then the loot tables need to be shifted to be more like the 2017 mod with fewer animals and less canned goods around. Personally I think this would be a great addition because it would add actual survival if resources were that much more scarce.

everything thing in this game from the enviornment to the zombies to other players should be trying to kill you 24/7 and its up to the player to survive however they can

...Why? Whats the purpose, other then changing the game from what may have been a T rating to definently an M, and also losing the likes from parents everywhere? It would be like GTA, people would immediately think of blood and gore and stuff when they hear DayZ. I say no to this, there is no point in it.

Human is meat like anything else. It should be up to the player if they think it is bad to do. U dont like the idea of eating people then dont do it. Dont like getting eaten..... hide better or fight. Skinning would be cool but not much u could do with the hide. Maybe a mask... bloodyface anyone?

people would immediately think of blood and gore and stuff when they hear DayZ. I say no to this, there is no point in it.

What a bizarre concept that a game focusing around zombies might be full of blood and gore.

• Like 1

What a bizarre concept that a game focusing around zombies might be full of blood and gore.

you know what I meant, don't be a smartass kid. zombie blood/gore and skinning a human body for absolutely no purpose are 2 completely different things.

The Silence of the Lambs, anyone?

Srsly:

Skinning: No

Hanging: Yes

you know what I meant, don't be a smartass kid. zombie blood/gore and skinning a human body for absolutely no purpose are 2 completely different things.

Well, because you said "people would immediately think of blood and gore and stuff when they hear DayZ" I thought you meant blood and gore, not skinning.

You should elaborate more next time bud.

people would immediately think of blood and gore and stuff when they hear DayZ. I say no to this, there is no point in it.

Lets not put anything too crazy, like stealing blood from others, force feeding them rubbing alcohol and Windex or gunning down unarmed players, or else little billy's momma isn't going to buy him a copy of dayz for Christmas.

I don't really get how from a balanced viewpoint canabalism is much worse than murder... It is wrong, obviously, and I would never do it in real life. But then so is murder, and I would happily do that in a video game.

The only way it seems distressing from a representation pov is if it fails to backup just how traumatising and damaging doing that to someone else would be... that's why I like the laughing sickness and hope it is developed further.

Lets not put anything too crazy, like stealing blood from others, force feeding them rubbing alcohol and Windex or gunning down unarmed players, or else little billy's momma isn't going to buy him a copy of dayz for Christmas.

No kidding.

"Hey Billy, what're you up to on that game?"

"Having fun mom. Timmy and I are on teamspeak and we caught a girl ingame. We got her to take off her pants, we handcuffed her, and we're making her drink disinfectant. I'm getting bored, I might just shoot her in the head and tell her to get rekt."

• Like 1

Well, because you said "people would immediately think of blood and gore and stuff when they hear DayZ" I thought you meant blood and gore, not skinning.

You should elaborate more next time bud.

Ah, sorry for the misunderstanding, my mistake. I agree blood and some gore would be good, not to extreme but we need some. skinning players though is a completely different thing.

I still think we should do it. When the world ends the ones with strong morals will be the first to die. Tell you what you come after me when shit hits the fan and i will skin your comrads and force feed them to you before i eat you. Look after number 1 first. That is how you survive

Edited by arlingtine