blacklabel79

the bambi steak

I really like this idea I seen on reddit about cannibalism in dayz. Basically his idea is that your toon must be starving before skinning and consuming human meat becomes available, but once you do you can be cannibalistic any time.

Here't the link worth a look.

http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/2ikqr3/lets_talk_cannibalism/

Cannibalism... Not even once...

I'm really liking this, needing to be starving to be able to eat humans as an act of desperation.

There is absolutely no reason to even have it in right now. Yes Alpha is about getting features in but really right now it'll only do more harm than it will do good. Food is in abundance, and this will only encourage people to kill even more because not only do you get their loot, but you get even more food now!

So yeah skinning only if you're starving or near starving, and maybe something else to really only make you do it as a last resort.

Maybe add a significant probability that your character will just start projectile vomiting the moment he bites into that man steak. Or that he'll just get sick and die if not treated.

edit:

Well, right now, there is no real way to get diseased unless you eat or get force fed some rotten food or disinfectant, which is a very rare occurence. BUT. Once diseases are actively infecting scores of players, cannibalism comes with its own inherent risks...

bob1.gif

And maybe add some diseases that aren't curable, and very hard to survive. I'd just go around telling people I've got ebola or something so they wouldn't eat me.

Edited by Sacha

This was the last nail in the coffin for me to uninstall the game for the time being. Not because I find the feauture 'wrong' but because it encourages people even more to be dicks to each other. I can imagine the special group of players who dont have any pubic hair growth yet shooting/eating others with their squeekvoice feeling 'badass'. No, thanks.

This was the last nail in the coffin for me to uninstall the game for the time being. Not because I find the feauture 'wrong' but because it encourages people even more to be dicks to each other. I can imagine the special group of players who dont have any pubic hair growth yet shooting/eating others with their squeekvoice feeling 'badass'. No, thanks.

Yeah... right now people are pretty much just cattle. It's just the same as skinning and eating a deer or cow. So I imagine that there will be a lot of cannibals once (if?) this hits stable branch. Remember, this is just experimental build for now. Already less stupid idiots playing there, and the feature is just bare bones. I don't think the devs want cannibalism in their game if it's only going to pander to the dickhead demographic.

Yeah... right now people are pretty much just cattle. It's just the same as skinning and eating a deer or cow.

Not the same, no.

Kuru Brain Disease for cannibals currently is placeholder, not activated, and with different Player Character Madness stages.

So seems punishment for cannibals would be severe madness and death because of it. :P

Not the same, no.

Kuru Brain Disease for cannibals currently is placeholder, not activated, and with different Player Character Madness stages.

So seems punishment for cannibals would be severe madness and death because of it. :P

And how exactly would work "madness" for a player character, considering it can't affect health but perception (coded by the game) and behaviour (controlled by the player)? Besides that, in the unoffical but usually extremely accurate reddit changelog I can't see any reference to different stages of "madness". Only the Kuru name change, and that was reported in one of the comment - not in the changelog list proper.

Let's avoid any word-on-the-street that can send the thread spiralling into wishful thinking.

Edited by DocWolf

And how exactly would work "madness" for a player character, considering it can't affect health but perception (coded by the game) and behaviour (controlled by the player)? Besides that, in the unoffical but usually extremely accurate reddit changelog I can't see any reference to different stages of "madness". Only the Kuru name change, and that was reported in one of the comment - not in the changelog list proper.

Let's avoid any word-on-the-street that can send the thread spiralling into wishful thinking.

>> usually extremely accurate reddit changelog - care to provide a link ? Assuming its not in Underground, I am not a member, sorry.

I'd like to compare notes.

Oh, and I never use any word-on-the-street, for that matter, and I can clearly see class Stages for Kuru, with my own eyes, black letters on white.

Edited by Paxom

It's not quite that simple though. The fact that it's in the game at all means that it affects everyone. Choosing not to eat other people doesn't stop it from happening to you. I think people are more worried about being eaten than eating other people.

Ive seem a couple comments on the forum where ppl express concern about cannibalism because it makes them scared, gives them a negative feeling...and honestly if u feel anything like this I dont think u should play a game like Dayz or any equally violent game for that matter.

If u have rational arguments against it...by all means share them. But if ur worried or scared...do urself a favour and stop playing because u shouldnt play violent game at all.

Im not scared or worried about cannibalism, I wouldnt get a iffy feeling if someone ate my body in Dayz. My emotional reaction would probaly be laughing if someone ate me in Dayz, because I know its a game. And if someone wants to call me mad because of that it only shows that they have problems with differentiating between reality and a game.

I have no problem in seperating game from reality, and thats why I dont have serious emotional reactions to something that happends in a game.

Edited by svisketyggeren

It's what your fallen comrade would've wanted....

it indeed is...i think it is time to revert to the "cult of the raincoats" for salvation and fresh steaks. One way or the Other....

and honestly if u feel anything like this I dont think u should play a game like Dayz or any equally violent game for that matter.

Not really.

Repulsive actions also have entertainment value.

Eventho it might , at first sound ridicilous, including it is in tune with the "anti-game" premise.

Sickness was in for a brief time around .44 ? We all SWEAR that we killed a guy who stated he was sick beforehand. And only one of us exchanged clothing/items with the corpse. Our mate subsequently got sick and died.

*rumors ? who knows...Also, we have a thermometer right ?  Maybe you could measure the bodytemperature of a fresh one to determine if he/she/it was sick and his/hers/its meat is save for consumtion.

But...as you said....wishful thinking.... * same goes to, that, water from streams shouldent have to be purified/boiled, to made save to drink ( if the spring isent tainted by dead bodys ) and water from stillwater HAS to be purified/boiled....( same concept with wells. Beign able to drop a dead body into a well is a must...)

I'd just go around telling people I've got ebola or something so they wouldn't eat me.

DED regardless....

Edited by {Core}BlackLabel
  • Like 1

-sigh-

I agree that there should be some form of limitation on "starting" cannibalism: starving, morale penalties. It should be a "last resort, do-it-or-die thing", not "cut up captive bambis for shits and giggles" thing. Promoting griefing is BAD.

I do not agree with the whole aspect of cannibalism in the first place, pretty much for the simple reason that, according to the game world, we would never really be desperate enough for food to resort to cannibalism. Even taking out the canned food and drinks, there would be enough wild edibles in the woods and in the fields to feed everyone on a 40-man server several times over. Take even a basic survival class, and you will see what I mean. The only reason we can't access these food sources is because the devs haven't implemented them, in favor of other, less survival-oriented activities /snark.

I almost all examples of real-world "survival cannibalism" (not ritual cannibalism, that is something entirely different), the survivors were forced into cannibalism because they literally had no other choice. Look at that plane that crashed into the Andes (I think it was), or the Donner Party. Most cases of cannibalism-for-survival happened during the winter, where they didn't have access to other foods (For example, the Donner Party ate mice, animal bones, and oxhide rugs). Also, most of the survivors of these events were DESPONDENT after the event, and voluntarily sought therapy after being rescued.

There would be so much food available in Chernarus, pretty much the only reason you wouldn't be able to get it is sheer laziness. Seriously, we have:

• Reeds; starchy rhizome, sugary sap
  • Oak; acorns (high in protein and fat)
  • Pine: needles (high in Vitamin C), resin, inner bark (high in starch)
  • Beech: nuts
  • Birch: inner bark
  • Elderberries
  • Raspberries
  • Various "weeds" (Dandelions, Dock, Chickory, Clover, etc), all of which are actually rather tasty and nutritious.
  • Many, MANY,  MANY more.

Temperate deciduous forests are the second-most hospitable environment on the planet to humans.

• Like 1

It is easy enough to apply a allready existing mechanic to another entity ( in this case the player body and use whatever is there allready and call it placeholder...). Id love to hear more thoughts from the DEV´s on the matter really. We discussed it with my group too and with mixed results. Very interesting.

Sickness was in for a brief time around .44 ? We all SWEAR that we killed a guy who stated he was sick beforehand. And only one of us exchanged clothing/items with the corpse. Our mate subsequently got sick and died.

It may be was a Zombie Wound Infection, it is contagious with transferability rate 100%.

Zombie Wound Infection Stage 3 with status "sick" and messages "My wounds are seriously infected","I have seriously infected wounds","I'm feeling hot","It's really warm"

you loose water blood and health, up to          you are dead.

(Just trying make sense out for your experience. )

• Like 1

But nobody finds cannibalism the least bit off putting in Fallout and Elder Scrolls? (And probably a ton of other games I'm not thinking of right now.) I for one, welcome it. Now I have a tangible enemy to fight against; something to rally the masses to.

Indeed...dayZ seems to be able to pull a deeper set of strings at times.

*MOD !!! plz fix the tag...iam stupid....

I don't think the devs want cannibalism in their game if it's only going to pander to the dickhead demographic.

No!

But a "dickhead" programmer is still a person who has fun, looking at the stats this change produces ( i kno i whould :D )

• Like 1

kidnap two friends and force one to eat the other one !!!  muahaha!!!

This is the core of why adding more reasons to KoS instead of survival is wrong.

Just to be clear, I have zero issues with KoS'ing but I would really like to actually have a challenge in the survival aspect of the game.  KoS'ing people is not challenging, nor is eating them.

Edited by Caboose187

Picture you & 2 other friends wandering the plains of Chernarus, desperately in search of food. The 3 of you are starving to death & there is no sign of any town in any direction. You continue to move aimlessly, & one member of your squad faints. He hasn't eaten in over a week, & he lacks the energy to continue any further. So you decide to advance while your other conscious friend stays to watch your fallen friend, hoping that there is a sign of food over the horizon, but to no avail, your search proves to be fruitless.

You return back to where your squadmate had fainted a bit later, but only for your conscious friend to inform you that he unfortunately passed. The remaining 2 of you realize that you'll soon meet the same fate if you don't act swiftly.

Your stomach grumbles violently. You're not proud of what you're about to do.

It's what your fallen comrade would've wanted....

Thats just it... no one really starves to death, and I dont just mean now with the fucked up loot spawn... even in 0.49 and before food was never a problem

The cannibalism, is not justified... Id love to have it in game, but it has to be thought out properly not just put in just for the sake of having it

im thinking it could work by making a player suffering from the infection have hallucinations of being attacked by zeds and npc. 

imagine a player trying to take down a hallucination with his gun and what that would mean.

how about a player could have a hallucination of the sound of footsteps following them,

at first I thought it was kind of dumb... but then I saw the skinning part...

does that mean we'll have people shaped improvised backpacks?? tie the left leg/arm and right leg/arm to each other for shoulder straps?

I'm gonna name mine Willson!

Edited by SkyPig

Thats just it... no one really starves to death, and I dont just mean now with the fucked up loot spawn...

Right, but why not implement such a system now to ensure that it's working properly down the road where using it is more justifiable. It pertains to hunting, & it's a good source to further test diseases.

Partaking in cannibalism leaves you prone to developing brain disease. So by implementing cannibalism now, they're not only further expanding/testing the hunting system, but now they've made the first implementations of diseases. They can test & correct it now so that they can apply the same process to different diseases in the future.

Not only that, but it'll actually be working correctly when cannibalism is a practical method of survival, & other food sources are much more scarce. They could remove 90% of food sources from the game now that we have cannibalism, but for all the devs know, the system could be extremely broken, leaving players with virtually no food from any source whatsoever.

It's just logical to put the system in first, make sure it's working, then start to make it more justifiable by decreasing food availability.

Id love to have it in game, but it has to be thought out properly not just put in just for the sake of having it

Like anything else, I'm sure they've put extensive thought into it. Roadmap.

• Like 1

at first I thought it was kind of dumb... but then I saw the skinning part...

does that mean we'll have people shaped improvised backpacks?? tie the left leg/arm and right leg/arm to each other for shoulder straps?

I'm gonna name mine Willson!

I only saw meat from skinning, not actual skin.

Ewww. So are we going to be seeing psychos wearing 'man-suits' soon? Will prion buildup from cannibalism cause illness and death? Will there be 'tainted meat'?