Lukio (DayZ)

Character death should carry more weight

I actually like this idea a lot and been wondering about the good sides of it for couple weeks now. You who say it would just suck having to wait 15 minutes after playing five and getting popped by a sniper in Cherno, well that is kind of a point of this whole timer. The chaos in coastal cities would be reduced by good amount if players have something to lose. I've my self done that after spawning, since it doesn't really matter if you die early in the game. This would also prevent people from abusing the respawn. And thirdly it would also be a great way to prevent people you've killed from spawning in the same city and killing you for revenge. I know this from personal experience. I had M4 CCO and everything useful when I made my run for Elektro, got killed there while looting. For my suprise I spawned right back to Elektro and just searched for the guy with M4 and then killed him and got my loot back. It felt nice then, but more I think of it, it really should be prevented. Your new self shouldn't carry on hatred for your past enemies and while I'm okay with you being murdered and then randomly encountering your killer and killing him as revenge, I don't think it is a good idea, that you can use the info of your last character and just spawn near you killer and stalk him.

So this pros and cons

+ Would reduce the amount of hazardous running and gunning at the coast

+ Would prevent people from abusing respawn

+ Would prevent you being murdered by a guy you just killed a minute ago (spawning without weapon has also helped in preventing this)

- Would suck in situation where you play with friends and get randomly killed and then you would have to wait before you can even spawn again (maybe add some timer where the quicker you die from spawning the longer you have to wait, meaning those who have survived long wouldn't have to wait at all or would have to wait only for couple of minutes)

- Would also suck if you get randomly killed by some 'just for fun' bandit in the coast. (then again this respawn timer would make you get to the inland and loot small villages to get better equipment before moving to cities)

SixPackAbs RE: Character death should carry more weight

Losing everything is enough of a penalty, if this was to be implemented all it would do is cause people to not play the game anymore.

He who controls the beans, controls the universe.

well.. yeah i totally agree with this, i mean even if you think it's "easy" it still takes time to gather all the items you had!

tl;dr

Dying is only hard if you are too attached to your gear.

I also tend to get really angry when I die due to bugs or bad luck, then I usually take a break for half an hour and smoke one, two cigs and grab a cup of coffee.

But dude, this is just awesome, I haven't been so angry because of a game since my best buddy kicked my ass in Tekken xD

I downloaded dayz to play this mod...not to be dead for 20 minutes...

Yeah the 20 minutes thing. It was just a f**king example ok?

This is about displaying your character death in a more profound way than currently implemented by the "You are dead" screen. A cutscene or a camera zooming out from your body laying on the floor for example.

Read the first page, tl;dr. But, I have to contribute my idea since I've had the same thoughts. Death is too easily dealt with. I think it's because of how easy the game is and the loot isn't difficult to get even if it's rare.

I would like to see a severe decrease in ranged weapons, a slight cut down on medical supplies and an increase in zombies.

This way, people would have less chance to Kill on Sight when they can barely get by with a hatchet and know that if they get hit once they may not have a bandage or morphine to keep them alive and well. Also, they will cherish their Makarov or Revolver rather than skipping over and just looking for a PDW or M9SD. This means that having one guy with an AK in a group of 5 would be rare and really respected rather than large groups coming equipped as a small army to a town. I don't think this specifically punishes any play style other than casual as you'll have to work to stay alive and have any chance of getting good gear.

Death is the easiest thing that happens to your character, not the hardest - You seem to be confusing this.

Death should continue to be extremely easy - if you want to end it, end it. If you want to start and try again, there should be no barriers, because once you make the decision to survive that is when the real hardship begins.

I downloaded dayz to play this mod...not to be dead for 20 minutes...

Yeah the 20 minutes thing. It was just a f**king example ok?

This is about displaying your character death in a more profound way than currently implemented by the "You are dead" screen. A cutscene or a camera zooming out from your body laying on the floor for example.

On this point I like the idea.

What I would love to see is your gameplay being recorded automatically like it is in Halo 3 SP where you can go back and watch from a variety of angles - it only saves the data needed to recreate the game through the game engine not full motion video.

THEN if that was complete, when you died your life was played BACKWARDS until you ended up on the beach again in a new location that would be a fucking phenomenal and memorable experience!

While I don't like the idea of a lockout time (just an example, I know), I think it would be neat if the death screen showed you some stats about your character's life. That would put everything that you did up until dying in better context. Distance traveled, food eaten, weapons found (equipped), rounds fired, accuracy, players contacted (heard or heard by you in direct) etc. Including a map that approximately shows your path through the world would be awesome.

I do not agree with any of your suggestions for change, but the idea that death doesnt mean much I do agree with. My thoughts on that are:

Make 'everything' harder to obtain.

As it is right now, you can gear back up (if youre lucky) nearly instantly, granted that is not with amazing weapons, but enough. If everything was harder to get, you would prize that ALICE pack all the more, and would be much more crushed if you died and lost it.

A good death punishment would be your body exploding so you cant go back and get your stuff back. Would be great to take out the mongrel bandit as well.

I actually dont find this to be true at all. I am paranoid of dying. As soon as I hear gun fire I run zig zag away from the town whether its directed at me or not. There is no need for this imo.

I'm paranoid as well, except instead of retreating I get ready to return fire.

I don't know about you guys, but if I had to wait twenty minutes, I'd turn around and watch TV for twenty minutes. It's not like I'm some completely impatient spaz who's going to flip my computer desk and storm off twelve minutes in...

You're asking for too much. Shit, losing all the gear that you worked so hard on is enough. As people mentioned before, lowering spawn rates for teh epic l00tz would be better as people would try harder to stay alive.

I disagree with the 20 minute wait, and I disagree with the lowered loot spawns. Lowered loot spawns = more player killing NOOPE no thanks.

Lol honestly, if the spawn rates were lowered I'd probably become a bandit, considering I don't want to roam around cherno for an hour without finding a can of beans. Much less a makarov.

Edited by LT.Sacred

Some people are trying to make this game harder, I don't really agree with the punishment :/

Edited by feladir

If I die, I want to be reincarnated based on my previous character's humanity.

Humanity Level:

Very Good: Human

Good: Bird

Neutral:Dragonfly

Bad:Pig

Very Bad:Cow

Then forced to play as these and work my way back up to human.

How might one work their way up? Some examples

Cow -> Pig. Get eaten. Congrats you helped a survivor for the first time in your life.

Pig -> Dragonfly. Get eaten. Congrats you helped another!

Dragonfly -> Bird. Fly in front of a dirty bandit's scope. Land in bandit's eye. Provide a companion to, forever alone, survivor.

Bird -> Human. Poop bomb 5 bandits.

'

Since this forum seems to be filled with dimwits, this is a joke. +1 To harder to find loot though :).

Edited by Iceman28001
  • Like 3

If people thought death wasn't a big deal, why aren't people being super aggressive and marauding about in the airfield? They are being cautious, trying not to die. Death carries as much of a penalty as possible without being gratuitously annoying. all this would do is piss me off, it wouldn't affect how i played since me and most people are already careful anyway

That's just a ridiculous suggestion OP. With all the carebears playing we'll be lucky if we keep the system where you lose everything upon death. Besides most players are majorly attached to their gear, that's why so many alt-f4 out of combat, so to them death sucks bad enough.

This is still a game. You don't turn on your PC just to wait 20 minutes in front of a black screen or 'having to' to do other things meanwhile. Hard and death-full, ok, but being forced to wait in front of a black screen and being excluded from gameplay.

Ok - so no one is disturbed by the fact that death isn't really meaningful? And I'm not saying meaningful as in punishment but as in the way death per se is displayed in the game, you just roll over, click some buttons and then you are back on your feet, after 30m to 2h you have nearly the same equipment you had before. I guess everyone is way to attached to their equipment instead of their character.

Maybe I'm playing a different game, but seeing how tense and punishing the mod can be when you are alive, death currently is just a minor occurrence, a 2s "You are dead" screen and then you just respawn and can happily go on looting, killing or whatever you do while playing.

I guess my suggestion is too philosophical and everyone thinks that the goal is to punish players even more, its not about that. If anyone has played Hitman: Blood Money to the end, you may know what I am trying to get at, death being displayed in-game and some kind of approach to starting over.

That actually would be interesting to me, being locked out for a certain time if you die. Too bad no one feels that death is missing in the game, what we currently see is dying and a short message screen, nothing else. Death isn't part of the game.

maby you should have that option if you really wanted 2 but i think ether you don't need to do this or just for new players, you get 10 (random number) lives or so that you can respawn istantly and theres a warning reminding this and saying to go chek fourms for help to play

This game has more of a death penalty than 99% of games out there. You don't lose anything in most MMOs for example.

It is already a punishment to die fully stocked with all your gear that took weeks to aquire. Just to start over from zero having to spend hours and weeks to get to the same level.

And you want to make it even worse?

If there was a respawn timer above 5 minutes people would leave this game pretty quick.

Edited by Zyme

Perma-death for a character is more than enough punishment. Go play CoD or something.

Want to make it having more meaning to die huh? Then turn a dead player into an infected and let him run off and try to kill more survivors until he gets capped in the head and respawns.