JPWiser

Dayz radio stations

I remember in anticipation of the standalone there was a huge thread for applications to run radio stations in the sa.

Not 100% sure what it all entailed just curious what happened with all that as we have yet to have a working radio in game.

I even remember videos showing off the use of a radio by Dean. My apologies for not finding the link.

• Like 2

Lol, we don't even have working walkie talkies in game, and you are going on about those "Radios" we all were promised and saw in game before it launch.

pff come on this is dayz, you know how it works.

(it doesn't)

I was a bit curious as to how this was gonna play out as well, obviously it's not gonna be any time soon but think it'd be interesting to RP as a DayZ DJ.

"And this is Mikey R, coming at ya undead from Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot, VLF building two.  A moment of silence for my friend Billy V who set up shop in the old KSSK building when this all started...  Now I get satellite phone calls from as far away as some place called Chenarus with requests, speaking of which coming up next is Daft Punk Verdis Quo, followed by Dick Dale's Misurlou and whatever else I find on these old Ipods and record collections."

• Like 1

Disclaimer - It's a BUMP.. well aware of the fact it's an old topic.. but this is the first thread I found on radio stations using simple search terms 'Radio' for topic titles. I hate this forums search function, it just sucks, maybe it's me and I'm stupid and just can't use it.. whatever.

But yeah, anyway.. Didn't they get a bunch of people writing up stories and things for radio stations? what in the heck happened to this whole thing? it was a widely anticipated feature at one point. I would in most cases usually be saying to myself..

"hey, give them a break it's Alpha, we only recently got a working 'Vehicle' don't push it!, they are busy working on other stuff"

But in this case it's something never mentioned by devs (or if it is I'm oblivious to it), so am I right in fearing this is a feature we may never see?

Edited by NuckFuts
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'd toss that one out of your expectation window. They haven't mentioned it, or breathed that they even remember it. They should, in my opinion, just remove walkie talkies from the game and move on.

Don't even care about it anymore, as third-party communications undercut the utility/significance/everything of in-game communication entirely.

Would just be useless, unless the issue (yeah, the issue, it's a huge detriment and anyone saying otherwise is either blind or apathetic) of third-party communications is addressed. But it won't be, and arguably shouldn't. Would rather they devote time to something else, shame though.

Edited by Katana67

That's a shame, I love the idea of radios you can listen to. You could even have little crank hand radios.

I think the radio stations would be cool.  I also think walkie talkies essentially becoming global chat could/would work.  It does in arma 3 epoch.

There's just some stuff they'd have to do to get all that going.  Not least of which would be doing something about the inventory space they take up.  I think there's a few items that no one who is experienced is ever going to bother to grab as long as they take up valuable space (walkie talkies, maps, compasses) and that some sort of tool belt/something could give those purpose.  That's why people continued to grab some of this stuff in the mod, because it really wasn't inconvenient.

• Like 1

Glad this topic finally took a little interest, I was surprised it didnt in the first place.

I definitely think radio's stations would be pretty cool, however I agree just take the walkie talkies out and forget about it lol.

I also just liked the idea of having some way to listen to music.

If it were some sort of "live" radio that would be even sweeter.

I think the radio stations would be cool.  I also think walkie talkies essentially becoming global chat could/would work.  It does in arma 3 epoch.

There's just some stuff they'd have to do to get all that going.  Not least of which would be doing something about the inventory space they take up.  I think there's a few items that no one who is experienced is ever going to bother to grab as long as they take up valuable space (walkie talkies, maps, compasses) and that some sort of tool belt/something could give those purpose.  That's why people continued to grab some of this stuff in the mod, because it really wasn't inconvenient.

Ugh yes please bring back the toolbelt....

I would love this - it would give me something to do in this game other than move, loot, and fail horribly at swordfighting zombies.

As the utility of such items increases, I'd imagine even experienced players would begin making bagspace for them without the need for a dedicated utility belt.

I think it's probably a dropped feature, I've not seen it mentioned officially on any livestream, Update, Dev blog, Roadmap or random Twitter comment for a long, long time. I just can't understand why a once anticipated feature just got panned or rather forgotten about.. without warning, or if indeed there was and I missed it, I'd love to see it.

Pretty sure Rocket himself wanted this to happen someday.. but of course, he aint around here anymore.

I was a bit curious as to how this was gonna play out as well, obviously it's not gonna be any time soon but think it'd be interesting to RP as a DayZ DJ.

"And this is Mikey R, coming at ya undead from Lualualei Naval Ammunition Depot, VLF building two.  A moment of silence for my friend Billy V who set up shop in the old KSSK building when this all started...  Now I get satellite phone calls from as far away as some place called Chenarus with requests, speaking of which coming up next is Daft Punk Verdis Quo, followed by Dick Dale's Misurlou and whatever else I find on these old Ipods and record collections."

then 

"And this is Mikey R, coming at ya .....oh my God, oh my fucking God he has a gun...no!! no!! (gun shot then radio silence....)....

You could always hide out somewhere near a big city and do pirate radio broadcasts via walky talky. You could also toss up a shoutcast server for people to listen to in the background while in game. Hell with a shoutcast server and walkie talkies you could be syndicated.

I read about some guy doing his own "number station" while hiding with a walkie awhile back. He posted about discovering it and then fools a few people into looking for its source.