brazorf

Forrest-gumpZ

So you have 30 mins to spare and decide to login and play dayz?

You better don't get aggro from those zombie retards.

2i8uhvo.png

That's where i logged out, but didn't lose aggro yet.

Also, the process of trying hit one of them with a melee weapon is lol.

I've just installed a chrome plugin that will get all the ALPHAs censored and replaced with funny cat pictures.

I've just installed a chrome plugin that will get all the ALPHAs censored and replaced with funny cat pictures.

Please, do share

You people who complain about melee make me laugh. It's so easy. Put your aiming dot on the zombie and swing. Side step swing. You must have a hard time chopping trees and bushes too

Some of those zeds can chase you for a LOOOONG time. They have a greater chance to stick with you if you're not double "w" running and/or running with a weapon armed. Put that weapon away, double tap "w", and put on the afterburners. Running up a mountain then down a steep hill is a good way to help prevent extended aggro from being a problem as any still way out there will likely "zombie bowl" die down the hill.

• Like 1

Just punch them in the face,they go down,you hit them in the head as they are getting back up, keep doing it right and they will just keep falling over soon as they get up.

You people who complain about melee make me laugh. It's so easy. Put your aiming dot on the zombie and swing. Side step swing. You must have a hard time chopping trees and bushes too

You know, I wish people would at least TRY to melee without breaking the zombie mechanics.

Melee is easy for you because you essentially abuse their AI.

Then you complain when you do get hit, and they wreck your shit.

• Like 1

You know, I wish people would at least TRY to melee without breaking the zombie mechanics.

Then you complain when you do get hit, and they wreck your shit.

Side stepping an incoming zombie attack is abusing their AI?  What part of hitting a zombie, moving, and hitting him again is breaking the mechanics?  There is no "block" button.  Are we supposed to just stand in front of them and have a stationary battle?  I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just trying to understand what you are getting at here.

When bullfighting are you abusing their AI?

bull-fighting-is-the-common-one-n5-mexic

Zombies are stupid creatures, and predictable, survivors shall smite them without mercy!

• Like 3

Side stepping an incoming zombie attack is abusing their AI?  What part of hitting a zombie, moving, and hitting him again is breaking the mechanics?  There is no "block" button.  Are we supposed to just stand in front of them and have a stationary battle?  I'm not trying to flame you, I'm just trying to understand what you are getting at here.

In almost every "zombie melee" thread, someone brings up the strategy of running in circles around the zombie, swinging as you go. This essentially makes you next to invulnerable, as they require a "recharge" as they need to reset their attack animation, and can't turn as fast as the player to do so. You can actually defeat multiple zombies like this, as it "locks" them in place and they cannot attack. Takes away quite a bit of the difficulty of the game, and makes zombies almost comical.

Now, if they had a faster rate of attack, or didn't require a reset to the animation, then, by all means, circle away.  But, for now, don't say "zombies are easy!", when the main strategy for defeating them in Hand-to-hand is little more than poor AI abuse.

When bullfighting are you abusing their AI?

bull-fighting-is-the-common-one-n5-mexic

Zombies are stupid creatures, and predictable, survivors shall smite them without mercy!

Don't circle around the zombie, and it will at least hit you once. By making small circles around them, you make it so they essentially can't attack, as they need a straight view in order to reset their attack animation.

And, comparing a raging, 1200+ pound brick of horn, hoof, and muscle to a 150lb guy with a fever is a great comparison, mate.

Don't circle around the zombie, and it will at least hit you once. By making small circles around them, you make it so they essentially can't attack, as they need a straight view in order to reset their attack animation.

And, comparing a raging, 1200+ pound brick of horn, hoof, and muscle to a 150lb guy with a fever is a great comparison, mate.

Oh, right, except for the fact that when making a leaping attack both are capable of killing you in a single hit. And bulls don't run through doors and through obstacles. Bulls also don't magically become invisible and keep hitting you. Bulls also don't ruin your gear making you cold and having to search 3 more towns for a suitable replacement jacket. Bulls also can't follow you for many kilometers and kill you when you try to camp. Bulls also don't resurrect themselves a few dozen yards away only to re-engage and attack you again (even when you're not in their line of sight).

Abuse of zombie AI as you call it is fair, because zombies aren't fair. Meelee tactics used on zombies are exactly the same that you will be most successful with on actual survivors, so I don't see the difference, the zombie AI is actually better than some survivors I've faced. It's a cruel world, the name of the game is surviving.

Wat.

People actually run from zombies in this game? Why? Pick up an item and kill the damn thing.

• Like 1

Wat.

People actually run from zombies in this game? Why? Pick up an item and kill the damn thing.

I used to, until 0.49 made his coming.

• Like 1

The last time I checked zombies couldn't climb mountains, or wait, was it the other way? They couldn't go down?

Both ways, they suck at mountains.

• Like 2

Put your aiming dot on the zombie and swing. 

Thanks for your tutorial. Should be pinned somewhere

• Like 1

Oh, right, except for the fact that when making a leaping attack both are capable of killing you in a single hit. And bulls don't run through doors and through obstacles. Bulls also don't magically become invisible and keep hitting you. Bulls also don't ruin your gear making you cold and having to search 3 more towns for a suitable replacement jacket. Bulls also can't follow you for many kilometers and kill you when you try to camp. Bulls also don't resurrect themselves a few dozen yards away only to re-engage and attack you again (even when you're not in their line of sight).

Abuse of zombie AI as you call it is fair, because zombies aren't fair. Meelee tactics used on zombies are exactly the same that you will be most successful with on actual survivors, so I don't see the difference, the zombie AI is actually better than some survivors I've faced. It's a cruel world, the name of the game is surviving.

Abuse whatever mechanics you have to in order to keep yourself happy, mate. Most of those events you mention are bugs, AKA part of the goddamned Alpha (you actually got me to use a phrase I hate, good job)

While it is of course nowhere near the level that duping is, abusing the zombie AI is "technically" the same thing; exploiting. You are taking advantage of a flaw in the game somewhere to benefit.

I, for one, kill zombies in melee by hitting them from behind. Just as effective, so long as you use stealth ( I very rarely get hit) , and I actually feel like it is a viable tactic, instead of YOLO-running and abusing the shit-tastic AI to loot at peace.

Edited by Whyherro123

Tell that to the prick who chased me from coast all the way up the mountain, but this was just when .49 was released, and melee was still buggered. Now its wait, move side ways, run up to their side and whack. I killed 3 recently, didnt get hit once, few minutes later, i nearly get killed by one, hits just wouldnt register

Now, if they had a faster rate of attack, or didn't require a reset to the animation, then, by all means, circle away. But, for now, don't say "zombies are easy!", when the main strategy for defeating them in Hand-to-hand is little more than poor AI abuse.

Wow now that is the funniest thing I've heard all day herro, so on those grounds we are always abusing their ai no matter what we do to evade them( you can do the same thing by backing up when they attack so how would you like these battles to happen , only while standing?)?

Also circling the other person in a fight happens in boxing and any type of martial arts , are we abusing ai there ? No it's just a way to keep quick on your toes and take advantage of the incorect swing the opponent (zombie) does . when they finally make zombies ai more challenging we will still be side strafing them to get a shot to their head as this is the easiest way to combat someone attacking you head on ; side step and attack, simple and efficient.

I would love to see ,after all the server lag Desync and zombie problems are all worked out , some type of blocking or counter attack system though because although we aren't "abusing zombie ai" like Herro seems to think , we are having somewhat boring battles because of the lack of some type of counter/blocking system ,impact sounds , and zombies only having one predictable move but like I said it's all gotta wait for the other systems to be robust enough to even support exciting stuff like that, but it's coming I guarantee it :) .

• Like 1

In almost every "zombie melee" thread, someone brings up the strategy of running in circles around the zombie, swinging as you go. This essentially makes you next to invulnerable, as they require a "recharge" as they need to reset their attack animation, and can't turn as fast as the player to do so. You can actually defeat multiple zombies like this, as it "locks" them in place and they cannot attack. Takes away quite a bit of the difficulty of the game, and makes zombies almost comical.

Now, if they had a faster rate of attack, or didn't require a reset to the animation, then, by all means, circle away.  But, for now, don't say "zombies are easy!", when the main strategy for defeating them in Hand-to-hand is little more than poor AI abuse.

Ok but your implication is that something is wrong with the players for doing this.  I guess this is where I'm confused as it is clearly a design flaw you are referencing, but you seem to be chastising players for this.  If your focus is the misconception that they are doing something special when they aren't then I apologize and agree with you 100%.  But it didn't come off that way initially and now that I feel like this is what you mean my response is these are the same people that can't melee players.  That circle stuff only works on really really bad players.

Wow now that is the funniest thing I've heard all day herro, so on those grounds we are always abusing their ai no matter what we do to evade them( you can do the same thing by backing up when they attack so how would you like these battles to happen , only while standing?)?

Also circling the other person in a fight happens in boxing and any type of martial arts , are we abusing ai there ? No it's just a way to keep quick on your toes and take advantage of the incorect swing the opponent (zombie) does . when they finally make zombies ai more challenging we will still be side strafing them to get a shot to their head as this is the easiest way to combat someone attacking you head on ; side step and attack, simple and efficient.

I would love to see ,after all the server lag Desync and zombie problems are all worked out , some type of blocking or counter attack system though because although we aren't "abusing zombie ai" like Herro seems to think , we are having somewhat boring battles because of the lack of some type of counter/blocking system ,impact sounds , and zombies only having one predictable move but like I said it's all gotta wait for the other systems to be robust enough to even support exciting stuff like that, but it's coming I guarantee it :) .

"sigh"

there is a significant difference between "dodging an attack" and "moving in such a way where you can't effectively be attacked AT ALL".

Step back from a zombie to dodge out of range, then step in and finish it off, that is perfectly fine, because you aren't breaking the game AI. Wait for the zombie to attack, then dodge by sidestepping?. Fine, because you aren't breaking the game AI.

Spin around a zombie, or a group of zombies (note how the above tactics won't really work with a group of zombies) in such a way where the zombie is stuck in the "turning" animation (because zombies can only attack you from the front. Attacks from the side or behind are bugs, and should be reported), and can't fight back? Bad, because you are abusing a particular animation.

I also love how people want to compare Day Z melee combat to real life. Yes, in real life, you will be strafing around an opponent. This isn't unfair, because the opponent can, and most likely will be, doing the exact same thing.  A real life opponent can also dodge, deflect, or grapple with you. In Day Z, the zombies can't: their attack animation only plays to the front of the zombie.

Ok but your implication is that something is wrong with the players for doing this.  I guess this is where I'm confused as it is clearly a design flaw you are referencing, but you seem to be chastising players for this.  If your focus is the misconception that they are doing something special when they aren't then I apologize and agree with you 100%.  But it didn't come off that way initially and now that I feel like this is what you mean my response is these are the same people that can't melee players.  That circle stuff only works on really really bad players.

I am chastising the players. They are stating that zombies are easy to defeat in CQC, while the main reason they find them to be easy to kill is the fact that they are abusing an aspect of the games animation/attack mechanic.  A new player has no idea of these AI-breaking moves, and a lot of them get creamed by zombies as a result.

As soon as they discover how to effectively "break" zombies by abusing their attack AI/animations, even large groups of zombies become effectively a non-threat. Look at any videos of group play, even when without firearms, zombies aren't frightening, or limiting. At best, they serve as moving "alarms" for signs of player movement.

I, for one, kill zombies in melee by hitting them from behind. Just as effective, so long as you use stealth ( I very rarely get hit) , and I actually feel like it is a viable tactic, instead of YOLO-running and abusing the shit-tastic AI to loot at peace.

So basically you shouldn't shoot zombies, because surely 1 shot anywhere killing them is an abuse of a game mechanic? Listen - zombies are not complete, and even when they are, zombies are dumb beasts who I will smite systematically regardless their capabilities (or lack thereof). I still contend that the exact same method for dealing with zombies in meelee works on survivors as well, and is really the only way that meelee allows you to be successful at this point.

So basically you shouldn't shoot zombies, because surely 1 shot anywhere killing them is an abuse of a game mechanic? Listen - zombies are not complete, and even when they are, zombies are dumb beasts who I will smite systematically regardless their capabilities (or lack thereof). I still contend that the exact same method for dealing with zombies in meelee works on survivors as well, and is really the only way that meelee allows you to be successful at this point.

If I put a .357 round into your chest, you are going to die. If I put the same bullet into your upper thigh, or your arm, you will die just the same, due to shock, blood loss, and the lack of available medical treatment. I have no problem with OSK (with the exception of .22LR rounds) of zombies, because it is at least plausible in the scenario the game presents; malnourished, feverish, cold, people getting shot and dying from a lack of medical attention.

If anything, the survivors are too tough. Clothing and gear carried should not be able to "absorb" damage from ballistic weaponry, and nobody should be able to tank multiple shots to the torso without adverse effect. ( Case in point, in the "handgun" thread, someone complained about the Magnum being a "two-hit kill".)Granted, getting shot in the chest won't drop you immediately, but you probably won't be able to do much of anything, either. Your ribs will be shattered (and "shotgunned" through the wound channel), your lungs will have holes in them and be filled with blood, and you will be literally missing muscle tissue. Not even bothering to mention the pain.

I sincerely hope melee gets improved, with blocking (in reality, "deflecting" is a better word. You take the full force of an axe swing by blocking it, you will still be injured), dodging, different swings, and grappling implemented. Unfortunately, the engine doesn't really do all that well with melee, so this might be a pipe-dream.

• Like 2

If I put a .357 round into your chest, you are going to die. If I put the same bullet into your upper thigh, or your arm, you will die just the same, due to shock, blood loss, and the lack of available medical treatment. I have no problem with OSK (with the exception of .22LR rounds) of zombies, because it is at least plausible in the scenario the game presents; malnourished, feverish, cold, people getting shot and dying from a lack of medical attention.

If anything, the survivors are too tough. Clothing and gear carried should not be able to "absorb" damage from ballistic weaponry, and nobody should be able to tank multiple shots to the torso without adverse effect. ( Case in point, in the "handgun" thread, someone complained about the Magnum being a "two-hit kill".)Granted, getting shot in the chest won't drop you immediately, but you probably won't be able to do much of anything, either. Your ribs will be shattered (and "shotgunned" through the wound channel), your lungs will have holes in them and be filled with blood, and you will be literally missing muscle tissue. Not even bothering to mention the pain.

I sincerely hope melee gets improved, with blocking (in reality, "deflecting" is a better word. You take the full force of an axe swing by blocking it, you will still be injured), dodging, different swings, and grappling implemented. Unfortunately, the engine doesn't really do all that well with melee, so this might be a pipe-dream.

Pipe dream for sure.  Dean is quitting because Bohemia wouldn't see eye to eye with him on direction, focus, and man-power.  To think that the devs will fix loot, add more content, bug fix. and then create an entirely new melee combat system is years out if at all.

My main point was why are you talking about breaking mechanics though with the tone that it is "wrong" when your proposed fix is a developer issue and not a player issue.  Instead of presenting an alternative solution to killing zombies in melee, you are just saying the method they use is an abuse of game mechanics and calling them out for it.  What would be a respectable way of meleeing zombies so that these players don't get negatively critiqued by you?