over9000nukez

Put in Helicopters, Humvee's with grenade launchers, and mounted machine guns

*Title* IF  As long as it takes time to create. and by time i mean DEDICATION. you shouldnt be able t place a new engine in a heli, and be able to fly it, it should require weeks if done alone, and if in a group it should take maybe a week or half a week if you divvy up the work between your members to create something. An Organized group should be able to create a war machine (pickup trucks with mounted gunners, Humvee's with grenade launchers, tanks, and the sort) if you spend time on it.

When you see an organized group coming for you in a tank your words shouldn't be "oh maybe i can kill them and take it" in fact, there shouldn't even be words, it should be "*censored* these guys are organized, and if i mess with them,it's game over" but in the form of a wet stain, and droppings in their pants.

Edit:(Please read) Some people seem to be confused, or aren't reading/ skipping over this fact: I think it should take WEEKS for a lone player, or a week for a organized group to build a heavy military vehicle, if they work hard at it, and put a lot of time into it, now if their dumb, and decide to go on the coast with it instead of use it tactical reasons (defending a base, attacking another base, fortifying a location, or putting a city under martial law) they will most likely die instantly to the first guy with a semi-decent weapon who knows how to use it.

To Mods: this really wasn't much of a suggestion, more-so a point of discussion, even though the title sounds like a suggestion, its just to spark some discussion on. Ty.

Edited by over9000nukez

I mean, you're going to catch hell for this. Because that's always what happens.

But yes, in short - if something is suitably rare, difficult to craft, difficult to maintain, and balanced within reason... I have no issue.

The only possible issue I might have, is with something like a belt-fed grenade launcher. They're pretty powerful forces to be reckoned with, and can get annoying real quick in a video game. That said, if the weapon itself were extremely rare, 40mm HE was rare, belt links were rare, on top of having to get a vehicle up and running... I could see it.

Tanks, I don't really see a point.

Technicals and armed (door-mounted) helicopters, though, yes please.

• Like 7

seriously, they can't even synchronize infantry movement. how are they going to sync flying objects? I just fucking died after shooting a guy 5 bullets SKS in head and chest from 4 meters distance using a PU scope, after that I hid behind a corner. Somehow I still got hit by his sporter even behind the corner, going unconscious and he is fucking unharmed...they work on fucking vehicles now but how are we going to ever hit a vehicle that drives with this kind of desync, let alone with the ridiculous "sway", which should be called swing, of the weaponry.

I don't see them implementing vehicles in any semi functional way by the end of the year, or even next march.

Edited by Khanarac

Khanarac, on 11 Oct 2014 - 1:39 PM, said:

seriously, they can't even synchronize infantry movement. how are they going to sync flying objects? I just fucking died after shooting a guy 5 bullets SKS in head and chest from 4 meters distance using a PU scope, after that I hid behind a corner. Somehow I still got hit by his sporter even behind the corner, going unconscious and he is fucking unharmed...they work on fucking vehicles now but how are we going to ever hit a vehicle that drives with this kind of desync, let alone with the ridiculous "sway", which should be called swing, of the weaponry.

I don't see them implementing vehicles in any semi functional way by the end of the year, or even next march.

We have a rant thread. Better there than here, buddy.

But on the subject: Yes & no. I think automatic vehicle mounted grenade launchers are a bit too overpowered for DayZ, simply as the insane amount of explosive power you can throw over a short period of time. A much better substitute would be an APC with a 73mm cannon, through the BMP-1/BRM-1K series. A low rate of fire, inaccurate, has optics reminiscent of World War 2 tanks, and has armor that can be penetrated in places by 7.62 rounds. But still, it offers quite the reward for the hard work of fixing up and maintaining it without being too overpowered. That, and a BRDM-2 would be the most fitting armored vehicles for a game like this.

As for armed helicopters, yes. MMG's mounted on heli's were in the mod, and they deserve a role in the Standalone as well.

Edited by Cap'n
  • Like 5

I rather they don't.

The game has a great civilian survivor aesthetic at the moment.

The over abundance and inclusion of military heavy aspects ruins that and leaves the game feeling like any other bro military shooter.

• Like 4

The over abundance and inclusion of military heavy aspects ruins that and leaves the game feeling like any other bro military shooter.

/facepalm

• Like 1

I rather they don't.

read the post: i said it should take weeks to get a functional military vehicle, and if poeple want to play with it as "other bro military shooter.", they'll die to a player who is much better then them, and they'll loose their week's worth of gear in 2 minutes.

DayZ is slowly turning into a Military Death Match Survival Simulator every time they add in more military items.

read the post: i said it should take weeks to get a functional military vehicle, and if poeple want to play with it as "other bro military shooter.", they'll die to a player who is much better then them, and they'll loose their week's worth of gear in 2 minutes.

Even so it still ruins the asthetic .

It could take months the mere inclusion of the military vehicle negates some of the games survival aspects.

That is not to say all military vehicles should be excluded however. I just think they should make sense when operated by a regular civilian survivor.

One only has to look at real life to get a sense of what that means, look at the military vehicles that are used by untrained guerrilla forces such as isis and boko harram around the world to get a better sense of what I mean.

Vehicles such as Technicals , Humvees and military transports would absolutely make sense but helicopters would make absolutely no sense from a realism standpoint and this is ignoring the huge negatives to gameplay they introduce.

Even so it still ruins the asthetic .

It could take months the mere inclusion of the military vehicle negates some of the games survival aspects.

That is not to say all military vehicles should be excluded however. I just think they should make sense when operated by a regular civilian survivor.

One only has to look at real life to get a sense of what that means, look at the military vehicles that are used by untrained guerrilla forces such as isis and boko harram around the world to get a better sense of what I mean.

Vehicles such as Technicals , Humvees and military transports would absolutely make sense but helicopters would make absolutely no sense from a realism standpoint and this is ignoring the huge negatives to gameplay they introduce.

I would vouch that they should make helicopter flying extremely difficult, (so much so that you would actually need to add a guy to your group if they knew how to fly one) , would make RP very cool, searching for a pilot, or searching for someone who's trained in using heavy mounted weapons, otherwise you might ruin it it some sort of way (not preparing it correctly and blowing yourself up, with the vehicle) I would like to put emphasis on "organized group".

Meaning, nor your average joe squad of 3 or so, people who work together correctly, and have trained themselves,id like to put out an example: the Governor from TWD, at first he was a normal guy, and eventually be became how he is in the show, and organized group with a common goal can achieve a lot, even through corruption.

Edited by over9000nukez

I would vouch that they should make helicopter flying extremely difficult, (so much so that you would actually need to add a guy to your group if they knew how to fly one) , would make RP very cool, searching for a pilot, or searching for someone who's trained in using heavy mounted weapons, otherwise you might ruin it it some sort of way (not preparing it correctly and blowing yourself up, with the vehicle) I would like to put emphasis on "organized group".

Meaning people who work together correctly, and have trained themselves,id like to put out an example: the Governor from TWD, at first he was a normal guy, and eventually be became how he is in the show, and organized group with a common goal can achieve a lot, even through corruption.

The problem is not how easy it is to fly a helicopter.

The problem is the simple fact that the helicopter flies and the way the engine renders long distance terrain clearly revealing everything for miles even if is hidden behind thick brush.

The map is also relatively small so helicopters are not even needed from a transportation standpoint.

Mk 19s are a bitch to maintain in real life, I'd say settle with M2s.

I totally wouldn't mind crew served weapons so long as stamina, and a weight system is added It would be yet another way to encourage teamplay.

jlcFJc2.jpg

enZpWix.jpg

kaqSNOd.jpg

The weapon is heavy 76 pounds total I believe with the tripod.

So say this spawns in a military base it would be a 2 man operation to bring this guy back to your home or base. One carrying the gun on his back one carrying the tripod.

Bonuses of this are how abundant it is in Eastern Europe.

It has seen combat in just about every war since 1938.

It of course should require the weapon to be deployed before it can ever fire so it would be only used base defense, setting up road side ambushes, and careful base assaults.

It also would be perfect for vehicle mounting.

• Like 2

I totally wouldn't mind crew served weapons so long as stamina, and a weight system is added It would be yet another way to encourage teamplay.

jlcFJc2.jpg

enZpWix.jpg

kaqSNOd.jpg

The weapon is heavy 76 pounds total I believe with the tripod.

So say this spawns in a military base it would be a 2 man operation to bring this guy back to your home or base. One carrying the gun on his back one carrying the tripod.

Bonuses of this are how abundant it is in Eastern Europe.

It has seen combat in just about every war since 1938.

It of course should require the weapon to be deployed before it can ever fire so it would be only used base defense, setting up road side ambushes, and careful base assaults.

It also would be perfect for vehicle mounting.

DSHKs and M2s are fine. Mk 19s are total maintenance whores. Parts need to be replaced on them every six months, even when in extended storage.

DSHKs and M2s are fine. Mk 19s are total maintenance whores. Parts need to be replaced on them every six months, even when in extended storage.

Not to mention it would require introducing a new ammo type that is only compatible with the mk19.

Meanwhile say the 12.7x108 is added it would be potentially compatible with other weapons systems.

I don't think anyone would be opposed to these things so long as they are realistic and heavy and require a team to operate due to their weight.

I just fucking died after shooting a guy 5 bullets SKS in head and chest from 4 meters distance using a PU scope, after that I hid behind a corner. Somehow I still got hit by his sporter even behind the corner, going unconscious and he is fucking unharmed...

Hehe

i0K9a2xROdJQz.gif

• Like 1

You're treading very deep into controversial DayZ waters trying to suggest things like automatic grenade launchers, considering people get set off even when guns like the Steyr AUG or SVD get confirmed.

The Mark 19 & AGS-30, as well as the many equivalents, aren't really of much use. I'm not inherently against them, because I don't find them to be as "overpowered" as people would think, but I just don't see a good point.

Ranged explosive weapons should be limited to guns like the RPG-7, M72 LAW, and M79 - unguided, (somewhat) inaccurate, heavily rare, and hard to find ammunition for (as well as factors like the LAW's one shot use). M203s and GP-25s should also be considerably rare, and maybe we can have a super rare multi-shot grenade launcher, ala the Milkor MGL (though it'd need to be one of the rarest weapons of all.)

Crew-served weapons like the DShK or M2HB I don't have a big problem with, but the devs (and a vocal portion of the community) express dislike towards .50 caliber weapons in general. However, Chris Torchia did state that they would consider, at the very least, making GPMGs like the PKM, for use on vehicles and on their own. This could be expanded to HMGs, but I think we can assume armed vehicles will be a thing.

I see no reason why helicopters shouldn't get the same treatment. If they're planning on making mounts for guns on trucks, then why not for helicopters? (It's not exactly easy to provide gunner support from a heli) Hell, even if they don't make any vehicle-specific guns for the choppers, you should still be able to fire your guns out of them anyway.

• Like 4

I rather they don't.

I'm with Katana on this; you make zero sense.

did you read everything?

Yes, however I lost interest after mounted guns on HV's and Tanks were mentioned.  Just how some prefer their coffee black, I prefer DayZ to be DayZ.  The remainder of Arma series I can use to satisfy the mil sim value. 

• Like 4

Yes, however I lost interest after mounted guns on HV's and Tanks were mentioned.  Just how some prefer their coffee black,

I prefer my coffee with 2 table spoons of butter and some mct oil :)

try it.

• Like 1

I'd like to see a corresponding upgrade to vehicle physics - i.e. the first time one of these player-built technicals rolls over a bump, we have the gratifying sight of broken axles and blown shocks, with a diminishing shower of sparks as it grinds to a halt out in the open. And now you can't un-weld your mounted DShK because you didn't bring the gear and all those people are shooting at you.

Oh, yeah. Totally badass.

I prefer my coffee with 2 table spoons of butter and some mct oil :)

try it.

Medium Chain Trigs? That must feel great.