TheFarm

Private Shards

Were not mentioned at all in the most recent dev blog. What made it especially annoying to me was that Hicks outlined their goals for the end of october. Previously we were told to expect private shards around the end of september.

Thats correct i also remeber the Dev Blog, However what ive noticed over the past months, is the more acurate a timeframe the devs give us, the less likey it is to happen.

So I'd expect end october, but i do remeber that blog stating end sepember as well as a few other things due around then too.

But heh, whatever progress is progress

Look before you leap...

"Within weeks you will begin to be able to rent private shards of the central DayZ hive along with your DayZ server instance from your preferred game server provider"

01 October 2014 !

private shards of the central DayZ hive 

Please elaborate on this. That doesn't mean private hive, does it?

It is important to understand what private shards entail for DayZ, and why they are different from "private hives" so well known from the Arma 2 mod.

Can:

• Password protect the server
  • Operate a white list (using BEC)
  • Ban/Kick trouble makers
  • Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)

Can not:

• Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)
  • Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)
  • Have access to the database itself
  • Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)
  • Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)
  • Exceed current maximum player limits per instance
  • Like 3

As where you took that quote Boneboys in your last post, http://forums.dayzgame.com/index.php?/topic/206640-status-report-week-of-04-august-14/ it didn't say it but some may of got the impression that private hives were only weeks away.

ver the next few weeks we will be working with our game server provider partners to begin the final steps required for the central hive, and their respective back ends to support renting private shards of the DayZ central hive, which will enable dedicated communities to create their own private DayZ worlds.

it may of been a bit misleading for someone.

I like to take whatever date is implied by whatever dev and add month. Then add two weeks and its about right. 

Edited by IronFather

Are there any plans to support custom loading screens or reserved slots?

If they were in the mod, then it is safe to asume, that there will be in the standalone too.

Private shards this early? I was expecting this to hit not earlier than at release ...

Earlier the better.

One server one character will always remain the gold standard for dayz.

• Like 3

Earlier the better.

This. it eliminates so many problems too, the worst being server hopping and ghosting.

Thank you for that quote boneboys, hopefully we get some news on private shards for next weeks post. This is all that im looking forward to, vehicles and new guns arent very exciting when there is no communities to enjoy them with.

Earlier the better.

And who decides what "is" the gold standard for dayZ?

Oh right, the devs, not you, me, or anyone else.

Private shards go against pretty much anything dayZ has over the numerous "RP" mods you can find on Arma1/2/3.

Edited by Lady Kyrah

And who decides what "is" the gold standard for dayZ?

Oh right, the devs, not you, me, or anyone else.

the community does.

There is a reason why people flooded to private hives in the mod.

Private hives simply do not suffer from the horrible issues that public hives bring forth due to character sharing.

- Less combat logging

- Zero ghosting

the community does.

There is a reason why people flooded to private hives in the mod.

Private hives simply do not suffer from the horrible issues that public hives bring forth due to character sharing.

- Less combat logging

- Zero ghosting

Yeah but the community has almost zero leverage on the direction of the game development, if said game was struggling with sales, maybe, but this is not the case DayZ SA has been a commercial success so far and could probably afford to stick to to it's vision.

Yeah but the community has almost zero leverage on the direction of the game development, if said game was struggling with sales, maybe, but this is not the case DayZ SA has been a commercial success so far and could probably afford to stick to to it's vision.

I don't disagree.

The devs should and will do whatever they want.

All I am saying is at the end of the day player behavior dictates what is perceived to be the optimal way to play the game and just like the mod I am guessing Private hives and in this case private shards will reign over the public system.

Not as soon as you would like but sooner than you think !

(all being well)

Earlier the better.

Aye it solves a lot of problems very easily.

I'm guessing the private shard will fail miserably. I have no idea why they are even implementing it. Its rather pointless and I hate to sound negative on any new development. Without logs, scripts, or access to a database its pretty much impossible to police anything.

Plus, nobody knows for sure if your player won't be playable on the public shard as nobody has confirmed that. Everyone is assuming that based on the private hive in the mod, but the private hive vs the private shard are completely different beasts.

What has been confirmed by Hicks and Hall is they are very much into server hopping. Hicks even said it recently if I'm not mistaken.

Edited by Weyland Yutani

it may of been a bit misleading for someone.

How so? This is the source of a lot of complaining about the game development in genearal. There is no implied date, the implication is between 3 and + weeks, but less than a couple months.

Any other information is not implied in the least.

What has been confirmed by Hicks and Hall is they are very much into server hopping. Hicks even said it recently if I'm not mistaken.

You definitely are mistaken. There is a ton of info available about exactly how the private shards will work, especially in the september dev blogs.

You definitely are mistaken. There is a ton of info available about exactly how the private shards will work, especially in the september dev blogs.

What I said I might be mistaken about and you quoted it (but oddly enough you're response is related to another quote I made), is Hicks promoting server hopping recently. I was referring to the EGX interview and it looks like I was mistaken about him promoting server hopping as I just relistened to it.

As far as a ton of info about Private Shards and especially that being in the September Dev Blogs, not sure what you consider a ton of info but there is hardly anything in the September blog. 

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-08-sept-14

Not a single word mentioning 'private' or 'shard'.

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-15-sept-14

"Rolling out private shards for player rented servers with our game server provider partners. Private shard servers will offer the additional protection of server administrator level bans, password protection for private shard servers, and whitelist support."

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-22-sept-14

"As these updates make their way to stable brance we are also working with our game providers to put the finishing touches on the systems needed to properly support the renting of private shards on the central DayZ hive."

http://dayz.com/blog/status-report-week-of-29-sept-14

"Within weeks you will begin to be able to rent private shards of the central DayZ hive along with your DayZ server instance from your preferred game server provider."

---

I think what you meant to say was waaaay back on August 4th the dev blog said...

Below is what CAN be achieved on the Private Shard:

• Password protect the server
  • Operate a white list (using BEC)
  • Ban/Kick trouble makers
  • Define and enforce server gameplay rules (eg: DayZRP, PvE only, etc)

Below is what CAN NOT be achieved on the Private Shard:

• Access or modify the base game configuration (amount of loot, amount of dynamic server events, vehicles (when they are implemented), etc)
  • Violate the naming convention declared in the hosting rules (these will be updated to reflect the new private shard capabilities)
  • Have access to the database itself
  • Operate any 3rd party “Admin tools” aside from the approved BEC (BattlEye Extended Controls)
  • Access debug logs (currently these are unavailable for both user privacy, and performance)
  • Exceed current maximum player limits per instance (40, as of the time of the writing of this status report)

---

Nowhere does it say ANYTHING about not being able to carry over your character outside of the private shard. If I missed it, show me.

At this time there is only one hive, which is the central hive. If the private shard is on the central hive, then theoretically players on the private shard should carry over into the other shards being 1PP and 3PP servers. When we get a private HIVE then things might be different. When we get a quote from someone with clout that says otherwise, we just don't know like I said before. 

Edited by Weyland Yutani
  • Like 1

The reason private hives are/were common for the mod is mainly due to hacking.  If they can get hacking under control (which seems to be a focus now), I'd personally rather play a public official server because then you eliminate shitty admin abuse as well (something that with private hives was potentially as bad or worse than the hackers).

Now private shards and hives are different, and there's not a whole lot of real solid info yet aside from what's been posted above, but they are potentially less useful than private hives were.  Admins seem more limited in their controls, but there's still the potential to kick/ban you from their server simply because your playstyle doesn't clash, or you killed them or whatever.

I think the main benefit of a private shard would be the potential for tighter formed communities, but finding one that doesn't suck will likely be a pain.  Basically 90% of the people you give any sort of power to are going to abuse it to some degree.

Basically 90% of the people you give any sort of power to are going to abuse it to some degree.

I have doubts and I'll explain why...

Power is needed and is a must to run a sound server. Abuse of power has dire consequences now that incentives are practically non-existent.  The thing that is going to circumvent server abuse is the lack os control over the loot economy. People abused power and got away with it in the mod because they could offer 500+ vehicles, donator/custom load outs, self blood bag mumbo jumbo and etc. Now that shit is no longer a viable option, some snot nosed brats are going to have to learn the hard way…meaning there is going to be crickets and tumble weeds on their servers once the word gets out. At the price point servers are currently at, admin abuse won't last long.

Nowhere does it say ANYTHING about not being able to carry over your character outside of the private shard. If I missed it, show me.

But that is the nature of shards. Your current character (on the public hive) will never load on any other shard than the public hive, the same way your stable character will never load on an experimental server, or even regular characters on hardcore servers. Those are all different shards.

Edited by Accolyte
  • Like 5